Need the Montcalm vs Big Creek Score*

edrforshey

Big Creek is a very inexperienced team,because about alf of the kids they counted on to return to play this year that were starters for 1 reason or another decided not to play football this year,and the ones they have playing are very inexperienced with most of them never taking a snap in high school until today. They have a total of 3 kids that returned from last year that started.

Thats sad to hear, i figured they would have wanted there last season as the Owls to be a good one, i guess i was wrong. My hats off to the kids who did step up and choose to play. Good luck guys. and stick with it

As of now there's been alot of people saying the new school may not even open until 2008-2009,so if that's the case this won't be the owls last year of football.

The location of the new high school though is awful,and will really cause problems in scheduling football games there,because noone is going to want to travel to bradshaw to play,which is practically the middle of nowhere.

No offense, but have you been to War or Ieager lately? Not exactly towns with a lot of excitement going on. Team from Virginia and Kentucky will have a shorter route to the new school location where as the usual WV opponents will have a bit longer of a drive (15 minutes, 25 tops?). I don't see the difference in wanting to schedule a game in War or Ieager compared to a game in Bradshaw.

Well the difference will be that the new school will be AA,and most likely will need to look elsewhere to schedule games. I mean currently Iaeger plays 5 single A schools themselves,and more then likely the ones that Big Creek play will get dropped especially if Iaeger's current coach is the coach of the new school. Iaeger claims the reason they play so many A teams now is,because most AA teams in WV don't want to travel to Iaeger to play them,so why would these same teams want to travel any further to play? Being a AA school in WV,and playing 5 A schools makes it very hard for a team to make the playoffs. I mean they would have to go undefeated,or with no more than 1 loss and hope that at least 4 of those A teams they beat won 8 games or more,and it's no guarantee they'd beat those A teams,because look at Iaeger they've practically been owned over the years by Matewan and Gilbert who are both A schools,and while they don't play Matewan they play Man instead who has been just as good the past few years.

I can see the point in that it would be a AA school. However, they probably won't be a much improved team for 5-7 years down the road. The way things are going now, interest seems to have diminished and by the time they are a consolidated team, they could be so down as far as what kids have played ball, they'll need 2-3 year adjustment to get their feeder system running (if they don't abandon it all together).

I know Hurley wouldn't schedule Ieager in the last 4 years because they didn't want a definite loss on there hands (there coach pleaded that they weren't as good a team they used to be anymore). Heck, Grundy played Ieager twice in the mid-90's; lost both games and then refused to reschedule them IIRC.

However, nobody wants to go to McDowell County...just don't think it matters if your in War, Bradshaw, nor Ieager.

Those places are almost in the middle of nowhere in all honesty the only place in the county that you'd get a feeling of a city atmosphere is Welch where there's a Walmart,McDonald's,Wendy's right above the football field,kfc,pizza hut,and long john silvers. War use to be a thriving city though back in the day when the coal industry was really big from what I know it is believed that McDowell County use to be one of the richest places in the country.

Unaka did get lost 4 years ago on their initial trip to Hurley. I believe you all turned down 83 toward Haysi instead of toward the WV state line that year. That first game was easily the best one of the entire series. It truly wasn't decided until the clock ran out.

BTW, how did this years game go? Any info? How did the #5, Medina, do?

[ QUOTE ]

Unaka did get lost 4 years ago on their initial trip to Hurley. I believe you all turned down 83 toward Haysi instead of toward the WV state line that year. That first game was easily the best one of the entire series. It truly wasn't decided until the clock ran out.

BTW, how did this years game go? Any info? How did the #5, Medina, do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that 1st time was a trip... I don't think we turned around till we got to Haysi... Medina didn't do alot. Like maybe 35 or 40 yards. But then you got to think, we threw for over 130 and had 3 or 4 more backs with around 30 yards... Plus, Medina has a strained quad, so the coaches kinda took it easy with him... But he did rush for well over 100 yards against Chucky-Doak the week before.

[ QUOTE ]

Those places are almost in the middle of nowhere in all honesty the only place in the county that you'd get a feeling of a city atmosphere is Welch where there's a Walmart,McDonald's,Wendy's right above the football field,kfc,pizza hut,and long john silvers. War use to be a thriving city though back in the day when the coal industry was really big from what I know it is believed that McDowell County use to be one of the richest places in the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

War used to thrive.. At least it was depicted that we in the movie "October Sky"... Yeah, it was kinda funny. Last October we played in War, WV, were the story took place, then in March our girls basketball team had a sub-state game in Oliver Springs, TN, were city were the movie was shot... Its a small world LOL

[ QUOTE ]

War used to be a booming city with a great football team..but as coal jobs decreased so did the population and talent

Big Creek never did get to win a state championship..even though they had it won in 1997

[/ QUOTE ]

When I played in the late 80's it was the place to be on Friday night. True, there are no places to eat in War and that there was nothing else happening. But the pads were popping on the field and the community supported the Owls as I remember large crowds there to view the games. I had friends that played at other schools and they all said coming across the mountain and seeing the mountain lit up by the field lights brought goose bumps. Championship or no championship the Owls were once respected by their opponents whether there was a McDonalds or not.

It is very sad to see where the program is today due to the numerous circumstances surrounding the school and area....basically a ghost area compared to previous years. However I do hope that "when" the new school is open a new taste for football and tradition will appear. I agree that it will take a little while to get the program going but hopefully the numbers of kids coming out will improve therefore allowing more talent to emerge and gain experience. Best of luck to all of the areas teams!