VHS vs Gate City

VaKnight

I have faith in the team, especially if we tackle better than we did last week against Marion. Against Gate City the referee's always come into play though, and usually not in our favor. Its at home and we can win if we limit turnovers, can run the ball with Ayala and Eccleston, and tackle on "D", but I've been watching VHS vs. Gate City since 1974 when I was born, and although I may not remember those early 70's games, I know that even then there were "ref issues". Here's to a fair game for both teams tonight.

[ QUOTE ]

those old, slizzy, overweight, blind, cheating refs will get half the teams tonite.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they do as poorly as the crew that missed about a dozen of Marion's false start penalties last week, then yeah, they will get screwed.

The key is to play the game and not worry about the refs. They are doing their job the best they know how. I for one would not have the job. If they call the game right someone is always going to blame them for affecting the outcome. And god forbid that they miss a call.

Now don't get me wrong, I have yelled at my share of refs in my time. It is part of football. I just try to remember that they are as human as I am.

It is frustrating, but remember these are just guys working part-time because they love football (very little pay) and doing they best they can. It's rare that officials intentionally make bad calls to try and effect the outcome of the game.

I guess ya haven't played against Tennessee High much have ya. smile.gif

Nah, I know, but for some reason when we play GC, it always comes down to blown calls. Very frustrating.

One thing I do know is that when we play you guys, the ref's won't make a difference. Richlands beats us by 30, easily.

Virginia High has a very good team in my opinion and is well-coached. They could very well beat Gate City tonight, that's for certain. But what's this all about?

"Nah, I know, but for some reason when we play GC, it always comes down to blown calls. Very frustrating.

One thing I do know is that when we play you guys, the ref's won't make a difference. Richlands beats us by 30, easily."

Here's the outcome of the Gate City - Virginia High matchup for the past 10 years that they faced each other in the regular season:

'92 GC 16 VHS 0

'93 GC 43 VHS 12

'94 GC 14 VHS 0

'95 GC 34 VHS 14

'96 GC 38 VHS 0

'97 GC 34 VHS 3

'98 GC 41 VHS 14

'99 GC 40 VHS 18

'00 GC 41 VHS 0

'05 GC 21 VHS 19

How you can make the statement above is beyond me. Virginia High played Gate City very tough last year and the game could have went either way - outside of that your thought process is quite skewed if you believe those games were close enough to have a referee staff's judgement call cost the Bearcats a win. There's plenty of years above where the outcome differential was close to 30 points or more, but you say every year VHS gets "cheated by the refs" when they face GC? I beg to differ.

Good luck to both teams tonight, win or lose, and hope everyone from both sides are kept safe from injury.

VHS will lose b/c they are playing without 5 starters on defense. Two are injured(Esposito and Holbrook) and three are dismissed (Woods, McClanahan, Wingate)...They had no chance without those three and now since Esposito and Holbrook are injured look for Gate City to have a field day running the football.....

[ QUOTE ]

VHS will lose b/c they are playing without 5 starters on defense. Two are injured(Esposito and Holbrook) and three are dismissed (Woods, McClanahan, Wingate)...They had no chance without those three and now since Esposito and Holbrook are injured look for Gate City to have a field day running the football.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Its all about the tackling and running game though. If we can just tackle and avoid giving up 7+ yds per carry, it can be close, but if the run d plays like it did last week against Marion, it could get ugly. We also have to avoid our typical first quarter slow start. Kids are gonna have to get up tonight.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the coaches shuoldve kept an eye on their boys (woods, mcclanahan, wingate) that friday night, instead of lettin them come to the abingdon game acting like Gangster, they are white..not black!!

GC by a mile!! gc - 43 vhs-28

I agree.....They shouldnt have sat on Abingdon's side...They should've sat on Richlands side or away from the Abingdon fans....If VHS had these three however they would be coming away with a victory tonight...As i posted on the Marion-VHS thread these three are some of the best around....If not the best....Woods and McClanahan are only Juniors also......

Woods through 2 games: 4 interceptions....Free Safety

McClanahan through 2 games: 9 sacks......Plays DE mostly some MLB though

Wingate through 3 games: 7/8 sacks....Plays DE mostly but sometimes moves inside to play DT

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said fellas...HAVE FAITH!

See what kids can do when they believe. VHS BEAT GC because they believed in what their coaches told them all week long. Yea, VHS was without 5-6 kids. 3 of which are not with the team anymore and started on defense. But it's not about just 5-6 kids, it's about 45 kids pulling together and playing as one.

These kids BELIEVED and GOT IT DONE!

GREAT JOB CATS!

VHS 17

GC 14

GC won again thanks to the refs, huh. Posts like this by ignorgant people make me sick. In any contest someone has to loose, and in southwest virginia the team that looses always blames the refs. I used to be an official, but stopped for this reason, stupid people saying stupid things. If you honestly think an official would make a bad call in order to make a team loose, then I have an idea. Take the time, your time, and the money, your own money, and go to the classes, take the test, buy the uniform, and drive over an hour one way to do your best in front of stupid people such as yourself. The best fans are the ones that put football and life into perspective. What do you want these children to grow up in life doing, blaming someone else for their mistakes, as apparantly you do, or to accept them and go on, making a better person out of themselves. Football is a game, play it, watch it, enjoy it, but don't get so upset when your team looses, and DON'T BLAME SOMEONE ELSE OTHER THAN YOURSELF WHEN YOUR TEAM LOOSES. WITHOUT REFS, WE WOULD ALL BE SETTING AT HOME.

wow, great win last nite for the bearcats! I hate to hear that about those 3 guys being lost for the year. I think it shows a lot of character on the part of coach smith for taking this action even though he knew it would hurt his football team. Those guys did something stupid and now they've lost the most important thing they had...football. I hate it for them, but i hope they learn somethin' from it.

I am really impressed that vhs was able to win this one without all 5 guys who were out. sounds like some guys really stepped it up. Congrats on the big win to all you guys who made it happen.

anybody have any comments on the actual game? How did this one go down? when do holbrook and esposito come back?

[ QUOTE ]

When do holbrook and esposito come back?

[/ QUOTE ]

They may be back this week. Holbrook had a bad ankle sprain were he looked good but just could not push off with any explosiveness. Esposito was kept out just to be safe.

They both should be good to go this week...NOT DEFINATE...should be ok!