And all of a sudden.....

MavsRock

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE:

4. Quaterback is very important! Assign a man to the quarterback. The quarterback must be tackled on every play. The quarterback is the key. If he is being tackled on every play, he will not be able to drop back and pass or run with the ball.

--------------------------

Sounds easy enough.

BTW - We don't have a quarterback..

A good single wing team attacks the defense, the defense dont know what hit it. You cant always key gaurds. We run false keys, blocking back pulls one way gaurds the other. Tackling the Tailback, or QB as you call it, thats the object of defense anyway, but that usually dont happen. He usually has 4 or 5 yards before 1st contact, because of the blocking angles from the unbalanced line. We can talk about schemes all day. The single wing is over 100 years old. There are ways to shut any offense down if you have the athletes to do it. The single wing is pretty to watch when its right. Good luck to both teams on an injury free game.

I'm sure MV has the athletes to do it,but whether or not we do will have to wait until tomorrow night to find out.In my opinion if our defense doesn't over pursue,and get out of position the Mavs will have a hard time moving the ball,because this offense feeds off of confusing the defense.Without that confusion MV's speed could be a dominant factor in the outcome of the game.

i thought maybe i would fall victim to the, "if you only knew" part of the single wing offense when i made that statement. so thats why i thought i'd just post this

http://experts.about.com/q/Football-Instruction-2069/Single-Wing.htm

thats an Q+A from coach that ran the single wing answering on the keys to stop it.

You had the right concept about the single wing in general,but I think JM runs it emphasizing on running the football about 95% of the time in each game,so there's not much of a reason for them to define or even designate a qb.

This offense works best if you have a team running it that can legitamately run and pass equally.

i for one don't think the single wing is all it is cracked up to be. no doubt it has come a long way at JM from its inception 3 or 4 years ago but the single wing in and of itself doesn't win ballgames. this game isn't about the single wing. both teams are talented. it will come down to whoever makes the fewest mistakes and it will be a close game. both teams have quality wins. MV has beat bluefield and south point. JM beat lincoln a AAA school and wyoming east who only lost by 14 to scott. tomorrow night will be a hard fought game between to of south west virginia's top AA schools. go mavs

"i for one don't think the single wing is all it is cracked up to be. no doubt it has come a long way at JM from its inception 3 or 4 years ago but the single wing in and of itself doesn't win ballgames."

While that might be a fact in some games, I know for a fact that what it does accomplish at the high school level that is really effective is all the fakes. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there at least 1 fake, well executed, on almost every play.

Any team that has a lot of fakes and good ball handling has always been hard for bluefield to defend, single wing or not. in my opinion this seemed to be something that richlands did and does very well.

Seems to me the faster the d the harder it is for that d to defend a lot of fakes particularly because of the way they swarm to the ball, 1 fake causes a lot of people to be in the wrong position and makes for a lot of room where the ball actually goes. It happens play after play against bluefield when teams are able to do this and it's somewhat frustrating to watch.

In this game in my opinion the mavs have an edge, maybe a big edge, with the game at james monroe. Combined with mount view's inconstency, fact is mount view away is a lot different than mt. view at mt view. They have the potential to defeat the mavs with their speed but will they.

travel safely.

Sitting in the stands looking down on the action, I find myself loosing sight of the ball quite often during a James Monroe game. I see the center with it, and then it's gone. I'm getting more used to it as time goes on, but back in the day when James Monroe didn't run that offense, and back when we played Giles (which I miss), I spent most of the ballgame just plain lost when Giles was on offense. Giles has mastered the single wing and usually the play would be over before I even figured out where the ball even went.

okay, first thirty has an I in it not a U like you're thinking. and you're mom should probably shave her beard, it looked better on your sister, so BLU next time you send me a personal message trying to talk some smack, kid or not, we'll make it personal. and i KNOW you don't want that..LOL.. can you spell that correctly?

anyways.. i like the single wing formation. but i think J.M would do sooooo much better if they had a passing attack. the J.M + Blfd. game will be another good one.

Oh for those at the game.. it was totally a nail ripper wasn't it..LOL.. at the end of the 4th quarter when J.Jackson broke that run, i bet he didn't think somebody would run him down from behind? hahaha

"come friday i'll be smoking a win and you'll be smoking crow. Mount View will be smoking hot, and James Monroe will just be plain out getting smoked. thats my reply to that dead head comment."

Any thing else to say about that?

It was a great game and I you were right Mount View was smoking hot with the LOSS!!!

ok guys, as much fun as this is the truh is that both teams talked smack and either team could have one the game. we cold be eating crow just as easily as they are. we played well and quietened the critics. now we ned to get ready for a big game against bluefield this coming friday.

I agree, this gave could have went either way. but I just could not help my self.

Mount View you have a Great team and I wish you well for the rest of the season and I don't want to play you again this year.