measuring work ethic

zack

the way the divisions are broken up in football most people think that numbers of a school have a larger determination of success in football than other sports. lets look at this.

in basketball, height and athletic ability and yes work ethic have a lot to do with success of a particular team.but if you dont have height, it makes it much harder.therefore numbers,i would argue in basketball probably play of a role than in football.a good example would be the championships of this year where in aa william fleming won the state title. there were some other good teams and brunswick was not particularly tall,just athletic.fleming was beat twice by my team salem, also by hidden valley. in other words there were some other good teams.in aaa, gw danville was a great team in the lynchburg danville looking to the western part of the state. danville was slaughtered by highland springs in the championship game.my point is that fleming had a very good team and could have competed but i doubt they would have won the western valley district, with danville being in there. next year they will move to aaa and they will be very competitive -they have most of their people back. and they are aaa in numbers with the closing of the magnet schools in roanoke there enrollment has jumped up quite a bit.

in football sometimes smaller schools,ala richlands,graham,gate city,and salem comparing against larger schools can compete bacause of dedication, tradition,and great coaching-and the weight room helps.

Any school in this area, regardless of size, could do what Richlands has done. You do need great coaching, and I think Richlands has the best staff around, and you need strong, POSITIVE support from the community (as opposed to the criticism Graham, Tazewell and Grundy players have received from their own communities on this message board) but most of all you need focused, dedicated football players who are willing to do the work and settle for nothing less than the goal they set out to achieve. For Richlands that goal has been a State Championship. They got close in 2004, closer in 2005 and brought it home in 2006. They are 3-2 in the state playoffs over the last three years with an average score of 27-26 in favor of RHS and all five teams they played had much larger enrollments. In fact, all five will be Division 4 in 2007. So “It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.â€Â

the point here being, the schools that have 1000 kids should have 3x as many "determined" kids to work with as a school with 330 kids...you just have a larger pool to pull from, thus you should have a better selection of kids to put on the field.

If you have 100 kids to pull the best 11 from you "should" have a better team than a group that has 30 to pull from. You have more kids that can play where they fit and not have to "make" someone in to a position player that they normally wouldn't be.

in Abingdon's case...you guys have enough kids in school that you should be a powerhouse in a district that the avg number of kids is about 460 or so....you should be ahead of the curve.