Who will win the SWD in Girls and Boys next year?

BCRAM55

[ QUOTE ]

no the g-girls wont be that good next year they have no height

[/ QUOTE ]

unless abingdon has some stowed away somewhere, the entire district is lacking height for next year. until another team steps up, i'm staying with my lady cavs, the main reason being point guard play, as well as the fact that carroll had 3 freshmen contributors in heavy rotation last season who will only get better before they suit up next year.

[ QUOTE ]

yea them plus cydnie from the JV team, and what about Kaitlan viars how tall is she like 6'2?? thats pretty tall think she'll be good?

[/ QUOTE ]

add cydnie from the jv team and you've got a ton of guards, that's what you have. as far as kaitlan goes, she's going to have to get A LOT better and tons stronger. she played very lax and lazy this season, imo, and for her size, didn't even come remotely in the same area code as close to getting enough rebounds. clearly, she didn't impress me at all. height doesn't automatically equal bball talent.

I think tazewell will definetly push next year! i mean we are getting everyone back and some other kids that are coming out and will give some really good depth! we had no depth last year. I'm sure graham really wont have much next year they lost brown, thompson, carper and all they have now is palmer so they wont be much. Also marion isnt going to do nothing, i look for grundy to contend agian but it will be tuff without ashby.

Heres my picks in order

Grundy

Tazewell/Abingdon/Richlands.....all three off these have a chance at being 2nd or 1st in district.

Carrol County

Marion

Graham

I would go with either Richlands or Grundy. If Grundy gets some help to replace Ashby they will be tough with everyone else coming back. Richlands will be tough, will have great shooters, no one will be able to stop Mulkey again next year. Big man play for Richlands will be key. I think Tazewell will be much improved, but may be 1 more year away from really contending.

I think Carroll can be there in the 2nd column too were returning everyone but strickland (yea thats a big loss) but singleton will be back and better than ever, he's working this minute probably. Green,Handy,Rogers,and me are returning too and to replace strickland were trying to get nelson stevens to play, he plays football real strong, he would be mostly a defensive player so that singleton,me or rogers won't have to play center. If he doesnt play we'll probably run alot idk thats what i would think

u played right? did u even come in the game against us? i dont think so i think you told taxley u was number 54 and correct me if i'm wrong but i remember u coming in with a few seconds in the game left when u all was up.u all losing that big man is gonna kill ya, he is what hurt us.

[ QUOTE ]

I think Carroll can be there in the 2nd column too...

[/ QUOTE ]

i honestly don't see the carroll boys being a serious contender without a big presence and scoring threat inside. even with a year to mature, rogers can't provide that (and can't stay out of foul trouble even if he could provide it,) and if you all can convince him to play, stevens can't provide that, either. imo, it would be a giant mistake to move singleton to center; he's a natural 2 or 3 guard, not a big man. oh, and let's not forget your point guard/deep threat coming back from serious shoulder surgery... just too many question marks.

the only chance you'd have is if you get into a nightly scorefest with everyone else, and even then, that's not reliable because shots don't always fall. you'll be solid, and you may make regionals, but i wouldn't look for the cavs to win the swd. i'll pick them 3rd.

It appears to me that the dominant big men in the district graduated and and there are none at the jv level. I suspect that Carroll will go up tempo as both coaches(varsity and jv) played in that system in college. I think that they want to run. We have solid rebounders and some quickness. A few of the jv players will help.

yea i dont think it'll matter as much as usual this year not having a big man bcuz really no other team does except tazewell, and yea travis i think he should be back i hope...and the scorefest thing thats what our JV team did 2 years ago and we won district (we might've ran 10 plays during district play) it'll be that team plus the seniors that didnt play Jv that year

this is not swd, but Virginia High has an up and coming freshmen phenom. Practicing with their jv team last year she killed Graham by herself in a scrimmage. She is around 5'11 or 6'0 and she plays guard.

[ QUOTE ]

yea i dont think it'll matter as much as usual this year not having a big man bcuz really no other team does except tazewell...and the scorefest thing thats what our JV team did 2 years ago and we won district it'll be that team plus the seniors that didnt play Jv that year

[/ QUOTE ]

big men help tremendously, if only off of putback points. true, grundy lost ashby, carroll lost strickland, etc, but no team in the swd shoots well enough consistently that they can afford to get into a shootout every game. show me a 5-guard team that's won state--heck, even a 4-guard team--and i'll rethink myself.

as far as tazewell having a big man, imo, they don't. they have tax, and while he is undoubtedly a competitive force, he is a "big man" by another definition, not a pure post player, as i mean when i say big man.

carroll has rogers returning and marshall coming up. rogers doesn't impress me much, but marshall could be a nice addition, potentially, if he would get in the weight room in the offseason. track is helping him stay in competitive shape, but he needs to get stronger, as do all of carroll's players. it surprises me that there isn't anything resembling an offseason s&c program for the team...

oh, and james, let's not be presumptuous: when you all won the jv tournament, yes, you did it without travis and jacob. however, don't assume we were the only team moving talented young players up to the varsity level. yes, you all have potential (minus the lack of center) but don't get complacent.

• 2 weeks later...

well i'm pretty sure tazewell girls will do good i've seen how they play. the 3 freshman they had are coming back and they were pretty good if you ake me. they are going to be competive