Are You an Organ Donor?

Hacker

On April 19, my 17 year old nephew was killed in a auto accident. After the accident, his parents made the decision to donate his organs. As a result, four people have another chance at life and two others were given the gift of sight. Out of my family's senseless tragedy others have gotten the gift of life.

None of us know what the future may hold for us. We or someone close to us may need an organ to survive. Talk about organ donation and those other life decisions with your family now.

I am, I made sure it was put on my license and I also carry a card with my parents signature so they don't have to waste time waiting on consent.

It is really surprising that most people don't sign up as an organ donor, it honestly doesn't make any sense to me.

I am but I'm not sure anyone would want my organs...

Horribly bad eyes...check.

Overworked, fat-laden heart ...check.

Asthmatic lungs...check.

Scar-laden kidneys from kidney stones...check.

Pickled liver...check.

Bet I couldn't get a buck-fifty for any of those organs on E-bay...

Drew, why am I not surprised that you would have it together.

With all the tragedy we have seen in recent weeks, both large and small, it is crucial that we talk about these things even if it makes us uncomfortable.

[ QUOTE ]

I am, I made sure it was put on my license and I also carry a card with my parents signature so they don't have to waste time waiting on consent.

It is really surprising that most people don't sign up as an organ donor, it honestly doesn't make any sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I have most heard is that if you are in a bad accident, and are a organ donor, then the Drs or who ever is trying to save you might not try as hard, just so they can give your organs to a more important person that is in need.

This theory is rediculous! First off, if some one is trying to save your life in an emergency situation, then they are not going to know if you are an organ donor or not. They are trained proffesionals, and they will do anything they can to save your life. Secondly, The heart on your license does not automaticlly make you an organ donor, the last call is left up to your parents/spouse. The heart on you DL does however, let your family know where you stand on the issue. That is why it is important to talk this kind of things over with your family. Even though it isn't easy to talk about death, it is going to happen, so you might as well prepare.

Btw, I am an organ donor.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Horribly bad eyes...check.

Overworked, fat-laden heart ...check.

Asthmatic lungs...check.

Scar-laden kidneys from kidney stones...check.

Pickled liver...check.

I too, could only donate my organs to science fiction.