GILLIARD IS GONE!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

What now happens if the next coach doesn't win the championship in the next 3 years? Do you guys run him off also?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, no one ran Gilliard off. He has been clamoring for the Princeton job for years. He tried to get the last time it came open after only one year at Bluefield.

Second, the biggest problem I have/had with Gilliard is that he didn't play to his teams strengths. He made absolutely no in-game adjustments and always allowed the opposing team to determine the style of play. If the new coach allows his team to play to its strength as well as attempts to coach and make adjustments during the game then I'll be okay with no state titles.

[ QUOTE ]

What now happens if the next coach doesn't win the championship in the next 3 years? Do you guys run him off also?

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as the next coach lets the team play, he won't have to worry about being "run off"...

So you mean to tell me that the year he had Patterson, King, and Crenshaw that he did the right thing in the championship game by having King and Pattrson running a high pick and pop. (Because patterson definately didn't roll to the basket) and Crenshaw on the wing. No rebounding against a team that may have had a 6'3 player. In that game it would appear to me that the strength would have been going inside to either one of those guys and maybe you all would have another championship.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

and thats your opinion of the game. I know for a fact that Danny Gaither is a teacher and student of the game. He was more prepared for any opponent that an other high school coach. He knows how to let the boys play. And remember, he took a lot of lesser talented teams far into the states...

[ QUOTE ]

If gaither gets the job, you wont have to worry about bluefield "Running him off" Gaither is one of the best in WV. and unlike Gilliard, he makes the changes that will work out best for the teams stregnths

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but a new day has risen and to hear old players talk of gaither it was almost just as bad as ol ernest even though the man(coach gaither) in my opinion was a better coach i think he would have a hard time getting kids to play.... lets put it like this if webster is not on the staff at all i dont think some kids will play

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

If gaither gets the job, you wont have to worry about bluefield "Running him off" Gaither is one of the best in WV. and unlike Gilliard, he makes the changes that will work out best for the teams stregnths

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but a new day has risen and to hear old players talk of gaither it was almost just as bad as ol ernest even though the man(coach gaither) in my opinion was a better coach i think he would have a hard time getting kids to play.... lets put it like this if webster is not on the staff at all i dont think some kids will play

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Gaither is a hard *** and it's way or the highway, but he was a darn good coach...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering, Why did Gaither quit coaching when he did?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Gaither is a hard *** and it's way or the highway, but he was a darn good coach...

[/ QUOTE ]

wow why doesnt the team just do without a coach since they are so deprived with one i'm sorry but MR gillard is a fine man and a concerned coach lets fire fred too and just let the teams take over

[ QUOTE ]

i can only imagine why you would ask this qwestion maybe it is because i am very very informed and do care about fairness is this a problem i think i know you

[/ QUOTE ]

Fairness in what problem? Gilliard left Bluefield on his own accord to take the coaching job at Princeton.

he was trashed so much the whole time most teams would have appreciated a leader who took their team to the top as many times in 4 years including making elligable all players that he could thourgh hard work and concern

[ QUOTE ]

he was trashed so much the whole time most teams would have appreciated a leader who took their team to the top as many times in 4 years including making elligable all players that he could thourgh hard work and concern

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem at a school where success is measured by state championships. Seriously, the biggest problem those anti-Gilliard people had with him was the fact he made no adjustments during games whatsoever; he was a poor game coach. Many times his teams looked poorly prepared and confused on the court when the opponent did anything different on the court. Bluefield won the majority of their games during his tenture on pure talent and athletic ability alone. His Bluefield teams were always clueless in how to attack zone defenses and that's unexcuseable when the vast majority of teams in the state of WV employ a zone defense as their #1 defensive set.

And no one has ever questioned the type of person of Gilliard is. I've never heard a bad word spoken about the man himself. However, it is possible to be a good man and a good coach at the same time.