Gate City @ Richlands

Rhschamps04

Hmmm. GC is small and young. They will fight hard and play till the end.

With that said, i don't see any way they beat Richlands.

I hope i'm wrong (first time for everything)When your line is young and relatively inexperienced, you are gonna struggle some. Good RB's but i think the Richlands boys will dominate in the trenches, and that wins football games. Parks is a really good back, no injuries last year GC wins 2-3 more games but that's it. He has been bottled up by Richlands and they will key on him again to stop him.

Not trashing the Devils here, just throwing in my 2 cents worth.

Guest Chubz

[ QUOTE ]

Richlands by 35! Gate City is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gate City is bad? According to who or what?

Dumbest post I've read all year.

I agree...GC offensive and defensive lines are undersized and undermanned...The Devil's scrimmage opponents, Volunteer and Powell Valley, were both able to take advantage of the line's youth and inexperience and I'm certain it'll be even worse against the defending state champions. GC has good skill people but that won't be enough to keep it close... Tornadoes by 30 or more.

GC will have a few problems in this game. Just due to Richlands. Other than that and that is just after seeing a scrimmage which don't tell alot.

But i think GC will be the first CMD champions. Yeah i know a big thing to say. But i think they have the kids to do it.

I think Lee High also will be better than many think.

I went and looked at the past six years of Richlands-Gate City and was interesting to see how both teams fared after opening up with each other:

2001 - 28-0 Richlands - Richlands went 9-2 & lost opening round of playoffs while Gate City went 10-3 losing in the state semis.

2002 - 42-14 Gate City - Gate City went 12-1 losing in the state semis while Richlands went 8-4 losing in the second round of the playoffs.

2003 - 24-14 Gate City - Gate City went 14-0 winning state while Richlands went 6-5 losing in the first round of the playoffs.

2004 - 28-21 OT Gate City - Gate City went 10-2, losing in the second round of the playoffs while Richlands went 11-2 losing in the state semis.

2005 - 35-0 Richlands - Richlands went 13-1 losing in the state title game while Gate City went 8-3 losing in the first round of the playoffs.

2006 - 48-14 Richlands - Richlands went 14-0 winning state while Gate City went 4-6 and no playoff bid.

For the most part, has been some good matchups and great seasons for both teams. Good luck to both once again after this season's game!

If you look at the scores only they (in my opinion) don't always tell the whole story. In a couple of the games turnovers/mistakes were the killer. The many GC turnovers deep in their end in 2001 made a close game a blowout, neither team really did much on offense. Special teams and turnovers killed GC.

In 2002 the Devils took advantage of an ill-timed fake punt? or whatever happened to jump out and take advantage early.

In 2003 i thought the Devils were sluggish in the first half then adjusted in the second to pull away.

In 2004 no way GC should have won that game. Bad clock management and a little luck by GC let the devils win.

In 2005 the Richlands D was very good. They were much better than GC.

In 2006 the offense was much better than GC yet the D for the tornados wasn't as good.

This year? May be a shootout, who knows, cya Friday and we'll see

I too think GC will be very competitive in the CMD but I don't see them matching up with the Tornadoes based upon my observations. I think they'll improve as the season progresses and the youngsters mature, but they are clearly lacking on the offensive and defensive lines and in the secondary.