James Monroe 47 Narrows 19

MavsRock

3 words sum up James Monroe early in the game-out of shape.

After a decent drive that ended in a James Monroe fumbe, Narrows scored on a long, time-consuming drive eriely similar to Tolsia last year to take a 6-0 lead at the end of the 1st quarter.

James Monroe got it together and capitalized on some big Narrows mistakes behing strong running of Robertson and Kiesel, and a lightning play by Tincher for about 75yds., 33-6 Mavericks at the half. Tincher and Kiesel both broke long runs in the 3rd, and Braxton Tompson scored on the second string offense to balloon it to 47-6.

Narrows scored 2 quit scores in the 4th to make the final score.

My take on the Mavs is they have a lot of potential, but also alot of room for improvement, especially on defense. Our interior speed needs to improve, defensive backs acctually didn't look too bad, especially with 2 starting sophomores who will get better with time.

Offensively our line did OK, but still need to work on staying on blocks, backfield did real well, Kiesel has gotten quicker, and Robertson has gotten better at getting extra yardage. Tincher, well, looked like reruns of last year, let's say he hasn't slowed down. No passes were thrown, Taylor rolled out once, but pulled down, and ran, Expect for some throws to be worked in in the coming games.

As for Narrows, they'll win more than 3 games, the only other team they'll see as good as James Monroe is Giles. There defense needs towork alot on containment, but offensively they'll give alot of people problems. Looked like they're coach is a secret WVU fans, it's a major shift in offensive philosophy for Narrow, and actual worked a little better than I thought it would. They contend in their district, and have a pretty good shot at the playoffs.

JMMav, good game by James Monroe. They came in, took an early blow when they fumbled and Narrows drove for the score. The difference in this game was that James Monroe recovered, adjusted and took it to Narrows. Narrows took JM's blow and looked as if they backed down. My biggest concern is the defense. They were shying away from contact all night. I would rather see Narrows lose because they couldn't score rather than because they couldn't stop the opponent. I hope that NHS is able to win more than 3 games this year, but looking at the schedule I don't see where anymore than 3 W's are going to come from.

Like I said , this was one of the best 2 teams they'll see all year. As far as not playing physically, they'll just have to do some contact drills, you see that early in the year sometimes. If Narrows has a losing season I'll be surprised, they're better than that.

[ QUOTE ]

narrows will not even compete in that Mountain Empire District...no chance!!! Monroe should drop Narrows and continue to beef their schedule.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is anyone even taking into consideration the fact that it was only one game, and that non-district Giles is the only other team they play that is on the same level as JM?

If I were Narrows I wouldn't panic, they looked alot better than this time last year, and even last night, if you take the long runs and 3 turnovers that happened in the 2nd quarter out of the game, it could have been alot closer, that's the big thing, Narrows has to cut down on the mistakes, and they can compete with most of the teams they play.

why don't we play giles or PHS for the money spadero tells me we dropped him all we have is something to loose at narrows i tried to contact the athletic director at JM about this subject and his official school web address shows invalid address

What I had heard with Giles was that neither team saw the point of putting those 2 teams against eachother, because all you did was make 2 good teams play and one of them had to lose. Which is about the stupidist thing I've ever heard of. I have, and will never be given a good reason why we're not playing those teams. Do you know who the AD is not that Wickline retired?

Friday night was a very memorable night. The rainy weather cleared out and the weather turned out to be perfect. It was a packed house on both sides. The #24 was frozen on the scoreboard pregame. They had painted #24 on the field. Just before kickoff, Jarret's family was presented with a framed #24 jersey. VT's band started filing in during the 2nd quarter -- and they kept coming and coming. Their halftime show was great. They played Amazing Grace during the show and it was very touching. I hear that it is something they will do throughout the season in honor of the victims. Narrows' band also got to take the field with VT's band to perform a song with them. How cool is that for them. It was a night full of a range of emotions -- sadness, excitement, awe, frustration, happiness.

It was a very nice thing they did for that family, obviously a testament to how that kid lived his life, and what he meant to his community. Saw the interview with his mom on WDBJ 7 that night, I think it meant alot to them how many people came and tried to show their respects to him.

It was a special thing to watch, I'm glad I got to see it in person.

It would be impossible to get PHS and JMHS together now with Princeton's committment to the MSAC. They have nine required games in the conference. Bluefield will fill the other spot which leaves Princeton with a full schedule. I wish Princeton didn't join the MSAC. The Kanawha Valley schools just don't bring anyone. I wish Princeton's schedule looked like this:

Bluefield

Woodrow Wilson

Nicholas County

G-brier East

Richlands

James Monroe

Blacksburg

Carroll County

Mount View

Parkersburg South (independent that needs games)

Nine of the ten games would be within 90 minutes and seven would count as AAA. I know most Princeton fans would rather see them playing JM and other SWVA schools than South Charleston, St. Albans, Capital, Spring Valley, etc.

I'm surprised that Parkersburg South is independent. Wouldn't be surprised if Buefiled or Mt View end up playing them with the scheduling problems they have.

I like to see James Monroe schedule one of the AAA heavyweights too, Parkersburg South, Martinsburg, Morgantown, Parkersburg, Morgantown, or NItro on a year when we're pretty good, be interesting to see if we could match up.

thanks i can't believe that whitt would accept such a weak schedule to begin the season i would as soon be tested first as last when we play a tough schedule is this OK it may be the brainchild of the old AD fred would rather know what to expect than not to expect

i watched your're game fri and was impressed with the band and you're fball if i would have known the whole VT band would have been there i would have been there i am concerned about g ball this year they were dry and the whole game seemed so uninspired i wonder why i expected more

gosh i understand not being tested for a couple of games but this seems stupid maybe less than stupid don't wait until you overdraw you're balance to try to reconcile the checkbook check strength and weekeness early on

[ QUOTE ]

I would rather start with the weaker part of the schedule. This gives you a chance to work on things you need to do to get ready for the harder part of the schedule...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I would rather start with the weaker part of the schedule. This gives you a chance to work on things you need to do to get ready for the harder part of the schedule...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great plan....seems to be working for you. You all get to Wheeling just about every year don't you?