Bluefield-Princeton score AND stats update

BeaverHokie

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield dominated this game. The score could have easily been 40-0

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, the offense is very efficient right now...not sure if its play calling or execution or a little bit of both...but they've left at least seven touchdowns on the table in the last two weeks (3 vs. Graham and 4 vs. Princeton)....

[ QUOTE ]

sources.....you must play madden from time to time,,,,say isn't that where Lil freddie gets most of his plays....looks to me as if Princeton's line is still trying to understand the zone concept,,,they sure didn't tonight but they are young...I do remember a Princeton offense that put 44 on Bluefield 2 years ago and Blfd's D look like they were playing on JV Madden level (I had to throw that in)

[/ QUOTE ]

By all means, remember those rare Princeton wins when you need something positive to think about. I'd suggest curling up with a championship trophy for comfort, but...well, you know...

[ QUOTE ]

sources.....you must play madden from time to time,,,,say isn't that where Lil freddie gets most of his plays....looks to me as if Princeton's line is still trying to understand the zone concept,,,they sure didn't tonight but they are young...I do remember a Princeton offense that put 44 on Bluefield 2 years ago and Blfd's D look like they were playing on JV Madden level (I had to throw that in)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad they got in all of their points in that game considering Princeton hasn't scored a TD on Bluefield in two years now.

[ QUOTE ]

I do remember a Princeton offense that put 44 on Bluefield 2 years ago and Blfd's D look like they were playing on JV Madden level (I had to throw that in)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can remember Bluefield hanging 70 and 80 points on Princeton in the past, including Bluefield handing Princeton its worst defeat in school history. There has been many times in this rivalry that Bluefield has looked like men playing boys including 2004 and a number of times throughout the mid-1990s. If you want to talk about the past then you need to talk about ALL the past and in this rivalry its been ALL Bluefield.

Good luck to Princeton the rest of the way. They've got the players to give teams headaches down the road with Powell and Allen. They'll get better offensively with each game and will light up the scoreboard against the slower teams they may face down the road.

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_244011915.html

Blue print

Beavers beat other rivals

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

PRINCETON  It’s Miller time for the Bluefield Beavers.

Michael “Moose†Miller has been waiting for his chance to shine, and did just that on Friday night, recording a sack and recovering a fumble in Bluefield’s 20-0 win over Princeton on Friday night at Hunnicutt Stadium.

Will Cole threw for a touchdown and ran for a score, while Bluefield’s defense held Princeton to only 168 yards on offense.

Miller, a 6-foot-3, 259-pound jovial senior, has been waiting for his chance to play a big role for the Beavers since arriving at Bluefield four years ago. His time has arrived.

“I think we played real well, the defensive line  we read our keys, we kept our heads up and had good form tackling  and that’s what we want to do is keep points off the board,†Miller said. “We have all seniors on our line.

“It’s our last game (with Princeton) and we had to do it. I thank God for our effort and our strength, I just thank the man up above.â€Â

A first half that was highlighted by a missed field goal and a dropped pass in the end zone for the Beavers was followed by a much-improved effort that saw the Beavers pull away for their second straight shutout over the Tigers.

“I was just happy to win, anytime you can come to Princeton and win, that is good,†said Bluefield head coach Fred Simon, whose Beavers defeated the Tigers 7-0 last season. “They do a nice job of coaching with those kids and they’ve got a few young ones.

“They’re very inexperienced at some positions and I thought their players played very hard. I was pleased with how our guys overcame some adversity and won.â€Â

Princeton head coach Ted Spadaro, who was able to see his Tigers play on a brand new turf field, was disappointed in the loss, but pleased with the effort. That was especially true of signal-caller Jerrell Powell, who was pounded by the Bluefield defense, but refused to quit.

“I give Jerrell Powell all the credit, he’s a sophomore and he took a beating in there and hung in there strong and never did let up,†Spadaro said. “My kids didn’t quit, and I’m proud of them.

“I’m not proud of the loss, but I am proud of their effort. When you’ve got a team like that you hold them together and have a lot of patience with them and good things are going to happen on down the road.â€Â

A lucky bounce of the ball helped Bluefield score first. Shaun Brooks, who led all rushers with 85 yards, fumbled inside Princeton territory in the second quarter, but Beavers’ senior tackle Joe Stone picked the ball up and even picked up a few six yards of his own.

“I just blocking my guy and all of a sudden I felt the ball hit my leg,†Stone said. “I picked it up and tried to run and got a couple of yards out of it.

“That was a great play and I’m very happy that I recovered it. I just tried my best...We played hard and we came out with the victory.â€Â

Four plays later, Bluefield faced a 4th and 3 from the Tigers’ 17, and Cole was able to connect with Cody Wassum for a first down. Jake Lilly followed two plays later by scoring from three yards out, and Asher Sexton added the extra point for the 7-0 lead.

“We got up on them 7-0 at halftime,†Bluefield’s Donald “Deak†Kersey said. “We came out in the second half and had some fun.â€Â

A pair of Cole to Wassum 12-yard passes late in the third quarter set up Bluefield’s second score, a 1-yard plunge by Cole that followed a 10-yard run by Aaron Bowes.

A fourth period touchdown was set up by a Miller fumble recovery at the Princeton 23. Cole followed with a 23-yard scoring pass to Chase Joyner in the back of the end zone. Cole finished with 100 yards through the air.

“I thought Will made some nice reads and made some nice passes right on the money tonight and we just didn’t hang onto them,†said Simon, who watched Joyner drop a sure touchdown pass earlier in the game. “We did in the second half.

“I was pleased with our second half performance and I thought it was really a nice adjustment that we made....I thought Will played with some poise, I thought our line did a better job in the second half and I thought our defense did a nice job containing them.â€Â

Princeton had problems generating consistent offense. Powell ran hard, finishing with 62 yards, and freshman Tevin Allen added 47 yards for the Tigers. Princeton drove inside Bluefield’s 40 twice, but could get no closer, with one drive stopped by a Ansel Ponder interception.

The Tigers did unveil the refurbished Hunnicutt Stadium, called by Stacy Hicks  who led the project  as ‘beautiful, the best facility in the state.’

“I just wish it wasn’t a shutout for the first time here, but that’s just the way it is,†said Spadaro, whose Tigers travel next Friday to St. Albans. “It just comes down that they made the big plays and we didn’t. They’re 2-0 and we’re 0-1.â€Â

While Princeton will travel next Friday to St. Albans, Bluefield will host William Campbell, a Group A power in Virginia.

“I’m happy to have two wins over very good opponents, two well-coached teams,†said Simon, whose Beavers defeated Graham last week. “I’m very happy to have won those two games,

“We’re playing good quality teams and that is only going to make us better.â€Â

Miller was especially happy after the win. His goals are set.

“It feels wonderful to be 2-0,†Miller said. “This is my last year, and that’s the way I want to do it. I want to go all the way.

“I hope we make it to state this year, and that’s what we’re planning on doing.â€Â

at Hunnicutt Stadium

Bluefield.............................0 7 6 7  20

Princeton..............................0 0 0 0  0

Scoring

Second Quarter

BFâ€â€Lilly 3 run (Sexton kick) 5:52

Third Quarter

BFâ€â€Cole 1 run (kick failed) 3:59

Fourth Quarter

BFâ€â€Joyner 23 pass from Cole (Sexton kick) 9:11

â€â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€

Team Statistics

BF PR

First Downs 13 15

Rushes-Yards 36-220 49-125

Passing Yards 100 43

Att-Comp-Int 16-7-0 14-5-1

Fumbles-Lost 2-1 2-1

Penalty-Yards 12-100 3-25

Punts-Average 6-36.5 7-31.1

â€â€Ã¢â‚¬â€Ã¢â‚¬â€

Individual Statistics

Rushing: BFâ€â€Brooks 10-85, Patterson 6-54, Lilly 11-48, Bowes 5-25, Stone 1-6, Cole 2-2, Joyner 1-0; PRâ€â€Powell 25-62, Allen 18-47, Wilborn 2-11, Tabor 4-5.

Passing: BFâ€â€Cole 16-7-0-100-1; PRâ€â€Powell 14-5-1-43-0.

Receiving: BFâ€â€Wassum 3-34, Ponder 3-43, Joyner 1-23; PR Lafferty 1-24, Allen 1-5, Tabor 1-8, Anderson 1-6, Benners 1-0.

the only reason people want eric to start is because there best friends with him. i stayed for the first half and i only saw one bad pass by cole. every other one was right on the money. he looks ten times better then he did at graham

You're wrong again...

The reason WE want McClanahan to start is because he deserves to start, and he's helped lead that team to a state title game and has been that starting QB for 2 years. and then all of a sudden a transfer comes in with the exact same talent level and he gets that starting job

Yes im friends with him, but even if i wasn't then I'd still want him to start

[ QUOTE ]

You're wrong again...

The reason WE want McClanahan to start is because he deserves to start, and he's helped lead that team to a state title game and has been that starting QB for 2 years. and then all of a sudden a transfer comes in with the exact same talent level and he gets that starting job

Yes im friends with him, but even if i wasn't then I'd still want him to start

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know any of the participants, so I'm neutral. When I heard the transfer's last name was "Cole" I had to wonder if he was from the family that owns all the dealerships. I don't even want to think that it would have anything to do with it, either.

I can certainly understand the sentiment from the pro-McClanahan crowd. However, I believe that young man has handled the entire situation very well from what I've seen. He's not sitting on the sideline pouting about losing his starting job at QB. Instead he's playing a very key role defensively and playing very well at his position. He seems to have a team-first attitude, which I applaud and respect. That's the type of attitude that makes good teams into great teams and contenders into champions...

touche BR

Mcclanahan i think feels fortunate to be a part of the team and a first string contributor after all he's been through. In this situation alot of pressure has been lifted from him which may be a better situation with all thats going on in his life. Will is QB, Eric is CB, end of story.

[ QUOTE ]

We have a long way to go before we can even begin discussing that. Take it a week at a time and let things fall into place.

[/ QUOTE ]

beaver has one game right now and that's william campbell.