Choke of the year!

Folks, that's why you play to win. Tech had opportunities to try and put the dragger in, but the "braintrust" decided to play conservative. When you have no balls, you deserve to lose. Congratulations to the coaching staff on the college football choke of the year thus far. The program slips a little bit more each passing day. Playing conservative isn't what got Tech to where it is, but it's going to put them back where they came from if they don't find a pair soon.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

They needed to get more pressure on Ryan. When you give him all day to throw it, eventually he will find somebody open..

Rushing 3 dropping 8 was the stupidest thing ever. Rush 5 drop 6

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup the defensive play calling was horrible there at the end. I dont know why they only rushed 3 every time.

Chris Ellis didn't give Ryan any time all night, until the final two drives when Foster softened up the defense, a la "playing not to lose". I agree, don't change anything on that last drive.

Boston College took advantage of that mistake, like great teams do. Ryan stepped up and made plays, even when he was off his game. For fifty-six minutes, he was a goat. For four minutes, he was a Heisman winner. I'm still in shock over this.

[ QUOTE ]

Folks, that's why you play to win. Tech had opportunities to try and put the dragger in, but the "braintrust" decided to play conservative. When you have no balls, you deserve to lose. Congratulations to the coaching staff on the college football choke of the year thus far. The program slips a little bit more each passing day. Playing conservative isn't what got Tech to where it is, but it's going to put them back where they came from if they don't find a pair soon.

[/ QUOTE ] You nailed it! I hate "prevent defenses"...they almost never work. During the last 6 minutes Tech played "not to lose" instead of going for the throat. A couple of blitzes during the last 2 minutes could have made the difference. He had all day (night) to throw the ball.

I go to bed after Tech goes up 10-0 in the 3rd. I check the score at 11 PM, 2:23 4th 10-0 VT with BC in the redzone. I check the score about 10 mins later and BC is up 14-10? WTF man? Absolutely horrible. How in the hell do you give up two TDs in 2 mins? Heads need to roll for this....

[ QUOTE ]

We have officially earned the title "Chokie"!

[/ QUOTE ]well the players played hard, and i was impressed with the way glennon managed the game, i thought he did a solid job...the game changer for me was when VT was up 10-0 and driving and choose to do a pooch punt instead of a fg, i think that play showed they were just trying to play field position and run the time out on BC instead of further extending the lead

[ QUOTE ]

I go to bed after Tech goes up 10-0 in the 3rd. I check the score at 11 PM, 2:23 4th 10-0 VT with BC in the redzone. I check the score about 10 mins later and BC is up 14-10? WTF man? Absolutely horrible. How in the hell do you give up two TDs in 2 mins? Heads need to roll for this....

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads roll in Blacksburg with Beamer as coach? Not a chance in you know where. I'm sure Beamer was happy with his team's performance, just as he was happy with his offense at halftime. DELUSIONAL...

[ QUOTE ]

Boston college is slower than mud,,how they came back and won I have no clue...If that is the # 2 team in the country I just don't know what to say! Howerve their qb has some guts I will give em that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Real quarterback sighted in Blacksburg story at eleven.

That was teh biggest letdown ive ever seen. I was in the student section and we were planning to rush the field and then suddenly we lose. I cant belive i went all the way down there adn got soaked head to toe for that!

[ QUOTE ]

Boston college is slower than mud,,how they came back and won I have no clue...If that is the # 2 team in the country I just don't know what to say! Howerve their qb has some guts I will give em that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Who has guts??? Matt Ryan??? What did he do last night??? Complete some passes when he didn't have pressure on him at all??? Matt Ryan is probably the most overrated quarterback in the nation and doesn't deserve one minute of the hype he has received. I could have done what Matt Ryan did last night.

Tech absolutely blew the game. There can be given NO credit to the boston college team. NONE. We had the game won, WE lost the game.

Heads do need to roll for this. I think Beamer, Foster, and Stinespring's play selection for last night really needs to be evaluated and looked at seriously. We are a school that is used to winning games. We are a school that wins games like this by clamping down in the final minutes and sealing the deal, despite our piss-poor offensive capabilities.

Speaking of offense, is there a reason we can't produce anything? Oh yeah. This topic is pretty exhausted on these boards. Stinespring sucks. Our O-line sucks. Brandon Ore sucks. And Sean Glennon sucks. And don't give me any crap about Ore braking a couple of good runs. I would rather have a consistent 6-7 yards rather than a 40-some yarder yielding a stalled drive any day. There were a couple of times offensively when Tech was within the 30 yard line, up 10-0. YOU HAVE TO SEAL THE GAME WHEN YOU ARE THAT CLOSE TO THE ENDZONE. This is college football. Is 10-0 really going to be a good enough lead???

As you can tell, I am absolutely sick at our performance. There is no reason that I should be this way right now, considering we are a MUCH BETTER team than they are. Oh yeah. Why were you going to rush the field??? Because they are ranked higher than us? No. You rush the field when someone is legitimately better than you, and you get the victory. Neither of those things were true of last night.

sounds to me like someone is pissed off cause their team lost...BC was better last night because they didnt just give up and stopped VT inside the 30 those times you were down there...this is exactly why i hate VT...fans like YOU!! you cant give respect to a team who is better than you? apparently they are better because of 3 things...1. they are undefeated...2.they are ranked higher....and 3. THEY JUST BEAT YOU!

[ QUOTE ]

sounds to me like someone is pissed off cause their team lost...BC was better last night because they didnt just give up and stopped VT inside the 30 those times you were down there...this is exactly why i hate VT...fans like YOU!! you cant give respect to a team who is better than you? apparently they are better because of 3 things...1. they are undefeated...2.they are ranked higher....and 3. THEY JUST BEAT YOU!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha. Somebody didn't watch the game... Beano, you never have anything productive to say. So just shut up. Got it, pumpkin???

you once again have shown your ass...i did watch the game..and yes VT might have played well but BC is the better team for not caving in and just letting Tech take the game away when it was a game in Blackburg on a Thursday night...BC WAS the better team last night because not only did they come from behind but you said it yourself...they stopped VT inside the 30 when VT could have easily put the game away...so BC DID play better last night and thats why THEY are number 2 in the nation....

and with how much i would love to sit here and listen to you tell me how wrong i am cause thats all you ever do when you get into it with anyone...you never listen to others...you are as stubborn and as ignorant as anyone i have ever met...but i have things to do here in college...so perhaps later we can finish this riveting discussion of you tell me what i have and havent done

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who has guts??? Matt Ryan??? What did he do last night??? Complete some passes when he didn't have pressure on him at all??? Matt Ryan is probably the most overrated quarterback in the nation and doesn't deserve one minute of the hype he has received. I could have done what Matt Ryan did last night.

Tech absolutely blew the game. There can be given NO credit to the boston college team. NONE. We had the game won, WE lost the game.

Heads do need to roll for this. I think Beamer, Foster, and Stinespring's play selection for last night really needs to be evaluated and looked at seriously. We are a school that is used to winning games. We are a school that wins games like this by clamping down in the final minutes and sealing the deal, despite our piss-poor offensive capabilities.

Speaking of offense, is there a reason we can't produce anything? Oh yeah. This topic is pretty exhausted on these boards. Stinespring sucks. Our O-line sucks. Brandon Ore sucks. And Sean Glennon sucks. And don't give me any crap about Ore braking a couple of good runs. I would rather have a consistent 6-7 yards rather than a 40-some yarder yielding a stalled drive any day. There were a couple of times offensively when Tech was within the 30 yard line, up 10-0. YOU HAVE TO SEAL THE GAME WHEN YOU ARE THAT CLOSE TO THE ENDZONE. This is college football. Is 10-0 really going to be a good enough lead???

As you can tell, I am absolutely sick at our performance. There is no reason that I should be this way right now, considering we are a MUCH BETTER team than they are. Oh yeah. Why were you going to rush the field??? Because they are ranked higher than us? No. You rush the field when someone is legitimately better than you, and you get the victory. Neither of those things were true of last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Matt Ryan had no guts last night? That's LUDICROUS. Come on, now: it's perfectly fine to be ticked at the result, I would be too; but it shows poor class to attack Matt Ryan, given what the man did last night. The fellow put his ENTIRE team on his back, and did something that everyone but those 90 Boston College Eagles on that sideline thought was impossible. Virtually single-handedly, he kept their national title hopes alive. He shrugged off a 16-37, 2 INT performance to end a game 9-15, 2 TD. Won in Blackburg Virginia, at night, on Thursday night, in a situation many Hokies crowed that "no one wins". There is no other quarterback in the ACC, and perhaps the country, that can do what he did last night; not only did he keep his Heisman hopes alive, he probably won it last night.

What many people LOVE to neglect is the fact that, although Virginia Tech did not do itself any favors by changing the defensive playcalling, Matt Ryan still had to complete the passes! I said last night, it was 70% coaching/30% players. Again, a Flowers interception, and it's game-set-match, regardless the defense! Likewise, if Morgan doesn't botch the onside kick, the game's over as well. With this comeback, there was some luck involved, as there is with most every comeback. However, when Matt Ryan needed to step up, he did just that. That's obvious. In the end, the better team won the game. Virginia Tech hit Boston College in the mouth, and the Eagles didn't back down. The defense kept them in it until the end, and the offense finally found its rhythm in the nick of time. Virginia Tech did not step up to stop it. Boston College won that game last night, and the BETTER TEAM won the game last night. That's all I have to say about that.

Likewise, I love how people are calling for the heads of Beamer, Foster, and Stinespring. Especially since they rescued Virginia Tech from the dung heap of college football and turned them into a legitimate threat. Many, many true Hokies know what kind of poor shape the program was in prior to Beamer's arrival. For giggles, I pulled up a random schedule: 1971: 4-7. Let's try again: 1979: 5-6. You get the point.

You're 6-2!!! Your only two losses have been to 2nd-ranked teams!!! Yikes, talk about meltdown crisis mode. If the administration down there is downright stupid enough to get rid of everyone, especially Foster and Beamer, Virginia Tech deserves the fate that befalls it. There's a great chance that the recruiting bloc Beamer built will not stand once he leaves. Honestly, if you don't have a solid head coach to fill his shoes immediately that can do what Beamer does with the talent he has, there are going to be FAR worse times in store. The man can downright win, and recruit. I hate to say it, but it's that hated coaching staff that's recruiting and training the players that put Virginia Tech on the map in the first place. Wait, I should be cheering for Beamer's removal...

All in all, I don't expect Virginia Tech fans to be sunbeams on a rainy day today. The loss was tough, and I'd be mad at the outcome. Though, if I felt as the quote listed above, I would have kept it to myself. It does not reflect well on your team's fanbase to post that.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Matt Ryan had no guts last night? That's LUDICROUS. Come on, now: it's perfectly fine to be ticked at the result, I would be too; but it shows poor class to attack Matt Ryan, given what the man did last night. The fellow put his ENTIRE team on his back, and did something that everyone but those 90 Boston College Eagles on that sideline thought was impossible. Virtually single-handedly, he kept their national title hopes alive. He shrugged off a 16-37, 2 INT performance to end a game 9-15, 2 TD. Won in Blackburg Virginia, at night, on Thursday night, in a situation many Hokies crowed that "no one wins". There is no other quarterback in the ACC, and perhaps the country, that can do what he did last night; not only did he keep his Heisman hopes alive, he probably won it last night.

What many people LOVE to neglect is the fact that, although Virginia Tech did not do itself any favors by changing the defensive playcalling, Matt Ryan still had to complete the passes! I said last night, it was 70% coaching/30% players. Again, a Flowers interception, and it's game-set-match, regardless the defense! Likewise, if Morgan doesn't botch the onside kick, the game's over as well. With this comeback, there was some luck involved, as there is with most every comeback. However, when Matt Ryan needed to step up, he did just that. That's obvious. In the end, the better team won the game. Virginia Tech hit Boston College in the mouth, and the Eagles didn't back down. The defense kept them in it until the end, and the offense finally found its rhythm in the nick of time. Virginia Tech did not step up to stop it. Boston College won that game last night, and that's all I have to say about that.

Likewise, I love how people are calling for the heads of Beamer, Foster, and Stinespring. Especially since they rescued Virginia Tech from the dung heap of college football and turned them into a legitimate threat. Many, many true Hokies know what kind of poor shape the program was in prior to Beamer's arrival. For giggles, I pulled up a random schedule: 1971: 4-7. Let's try again: 1979: 5-6. You get the point.

You're 6-2!!! Your only two losses have been to 2nd-ranked teams!!! Yikes, talk about meltdown crisis mode. If the administration down there is downright stupid enough to get rid of everyone, especially Foster and Beamer, Virginia Tech deserves the fate that befalls it. There's a great chance that the recruiting bloc Beamer built will not stand once he leaves. Honestly, if you don't have a solid head coach to fill his shoes immediately that can do what Beamer does with the talent he has, there are going to be FAR worse times in store. The man can downright win, and recruit. I hate to say it, but it's that hated coaching staff that's recruiting and training the players that put Virginia Tech on the map in the first place. Wait, I should be cheering for Beamer's removal...

All in all, I don't expect Virginia Tech fans to be sunbeams on a rainy day today. The loss was tough, and I'd be mad at the outcome. Though, if I felt as the quote listed above, I would have kept it to myself. It does not reflect well on your team's fanbase to post that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the uva fan for once

No. Matt Ryan did his job last night. It was not an exceptional performance like you all are making it out to be. If there would have been pressure on him in the slightest, it would have been the exact same result as the first 58 minutes of the game. That's all I have to say. Have a good weekend.

No, there was no pressure. They were only trying to avoid being the fourth 2nd-ranked team to fall in four weeks. They were only trying to keep their national title hopes alive. They were only playing in one of the roughest environments in college football. It was only raining, so his mechanics were understandably flawed. Matt Ryan only needed to show that the Heisman talk was legitimate.

He was under TONS of it, and that, combined with the two great drives, is what makes it exceptional. I was curious, so I looked up the definition of exceptional: adjective, 1: forming an exception : rare <an exceptional number of rainy days>; 2: better than average : superior <exceptional skill>. It definitely qualified under (2), and it does under (1), given the number of quarterbacks that have done that before. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just pointing out that it's not sound to undercut Ryan's performance.