Kansas, yes Kansas, hung 76 points, yes 76, on Nebraska today!

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Kansas is a very good football program

[/ QUOTE ]

No they aren't...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...they are good but not that good.

I respectfully disagree.

In my opinion, if you put 76 points on anybody in Division I football, especially a team within your own conference, you've got a solid football team. The defense isn't terrible either, today the obvious exception to a general rule; Kansas has allowed 0, 3, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 24, and 39 points in their victories. Seven of those are good enough to beat just about anybody. Just because Kansas isn't a national power year-in, year-out, doesn't mean that they aren't good. They're better than many people realize.

Kansas will be tested in the final weeks of this football season, namely against a better-than-advertised Oklahoma State team, Missouri, and likely Oklahoma in the Big XII title game. Since Kansas plays Iowa State, a near-lock, a 10-win season is likely in the works. I congratulate them: the Jayhawk fans deserve it.

[ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree.

In my opinion, if you put 76 points on anybody in Division I football, especially a team within your own conference, you've got a solid football team. The defense isn't terrible either, today the obvious exception to a general rule; Kansas has allowed 0, 3, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 24, and 39 points in their victories. Seven of those are good enough to beat just about anybody. Just because Kansas isn't a national power year-in, year-out, doesn't mean that they aren't good. They're better than many people realize.

Kansas will be tested in the final weeks of this football season, namely against a better-than-advertised Oklahoma State team, Missouri, and likely Oklahoma in the Big XII title game. Since Kansas plays Iowa State, a near-lock, a 10-win season is likely in the works. I congratulate them: the Jayhawk fans deserve it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That shows how much you know about football.

This is the worst Nebraska team in 40-some years. It is far and away the worst defense Nebraska has ever had...they had already set a school record for most times allowing over 40 points in a game during a season (4, now 5), and are allowing over an average of 35 pts./game. No defense that gives up over 35 pts./game can be called good.

Also, Kansas has also benefitted from a fairly weak schedule as well. Non-conference they've beaten teams with combined record of 12-25 which includes two MAC teams, a I-AA team, and Florida International, who hasn't won a game in almost three years. In-conference, they do not play three of the best teams in the Big 12, Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech. The Big 12 teams they have played have a combined overall record of under .500 (23-26). That kind of schedule gets no respect, even if you win every game by 40 points.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

That shows how much you know about football.

This is the worst Nebraska team in 40-some years. It is far and away the worst defense Nebraska has ever had...they had already set a school record for most times allowing over 40 points in a game during a season (4, now 5), and are allowing over an average of 35 pts./game. No defense that gives up over 35 pts./game can be called good.

Also, Kansas has also benefitted from a fairly weak schedule as well. Non-conference they've beaten teams with combined record of 12-25 which includes two MAC teams, a I-AA team, and Florida International, who hasn't won a game in almost three years. In-conference, they do not play three of the best teams in the Big 12, Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech. The Big 12 teams they have played have a combined overall record of under .500 (23-26). That kind of schedule gets no respect, even if you win every game by 40 points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, what makes you the all-knowing one concerning matters of football? I've seen you make a several errors of judgment yourself in the four years I've lurked/posted on this board. For example, you were proven wrong by Virginia just yesterday. If it were me, I think I'd lay off the childish thirteen-year-old insults. Classy.

You don't go 9-0 in a major conference by some "fluke". Kansas's schedule is not the greatest, I'll give that. The eight home games are far less than impressive, but since schools of repute such as Virginia Tech have done the same thing on a consistent basis, it would be hard to attack that. As far as schedules go, you play whoever is placed in front of you, and that's the bottom line regarding that; I would be shocked if Mark Mangino had anything over a marginal say over scheduling matters. In fact, Kansas's schedule isn't terrible. Kansas has the 72nd-ranked schedule in Division I-A football. Not impressive, but not as bad you strongly imply. It beats such schools as Southern California (73rd), TCU (80th), Iowa (93rd), Boise State (104th), and Hawaii (117th). Research is a wonderful thing...

If you play in the Big East, ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-10, or SEC, and have an undefeated record come the second week of November, you have done many things right. You've downright dominated a few teams. You haven't beaten yourselves. You've won games you perhaps shouldn't have won. Until Kansas loses, which should either be against Missouri, or more likely against Oklahoma in the Big XII title game, they will be deserving of the accolades coming to them. We might have to agree to disagree, perhaps. There's positively no reason for insults given a disagreement about a Big XII team, of all the things in this world.

In addition, the 2004 Nebraska squad was almost as bad, if you go strictly by win-loss records. They finished 5-6 (3-5) that year. With games against Kansas State (exposed by Iowa State yesterday) and Colorado (improved, but still a couple years away from being a contender), Nebraska could possibly end up 6-6.

I don't think this will happen, however. The players have absolutely quit on Bill Callahan, evidenced by the defense playing like a D-III squad. I think 4-8 is a likely outcome, which would indeed be the worst Nebraska team in my lifetime, and likely my parents' lifetime.

This is the year of the upsets and teams who r making a statement. Kansas showed that they want to go to the Big 12 title game, and as for the upsets, if Appalachian State didn't beat Michigan, we wouldn't be seeing some of these upsets like USC losing to Stanford, LSU losing to Kentucky, and Navy, yes Navy, defeating Notre Dame to snap the 43 game losing streak.