Rock Band

Lance

[ QUOTE ]

Yes the guitar has 4 "solo" buttons at the top. And they say if you can beat the drum part on medium you can play almost any song in real life

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree.

This is much along the line of "Guitar Hero". In "Guitar Hero", if you master that game, it honestly translates very little to any real life skill in playing the guitar. What guitar is going to have five fretboards (instead of the common seventeen) you push down like buttons? Also, what guitar is going to have one lever you push in lieu of four to six strings? It may help *slightly* in deciphering rhythms, but since the real guitar has strings you strum with a plectrum instead of a lever you move back and forth, that honestly might go down the tubes also. Don't even get me started on chords.

This drum set in "Rock Band" appears to be a little more sophisticated than the guitar in "Guitar Hero". Here are the websites to compare the drums.

"Rock Band" drumset: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band_(video_game)

Actual drumset: http://www.arbiter.co.uk/cb/news/cb_sp_series_drum_set_250406/cb_sp_series_drum_set1000.jpg

There are three more drums, and as many as two more cymbals, given the format you need given your repertoire. Likewise, this doesn't teach you anything about technique on how to actually play drums (for the band people, the precise grips required). Again, this might help *slightly* with rhythm, but again, the setup for a drum set is far, far different than what "Rock Band" gives you, so any gain is negated.

I've been a part of bands for 11 years. I am very sure of what I'm talking about.

but its the fun factor...not everyone can play guitar...thats not the point...it's just a fun thing...drives me crazy because i play guitar and it's way off from the real thing...but its still fun to play and rock band you will have to sing as well...lol...which should be even more funny watching your drunk friends try to sing Bon Jovi.

[ QUOTE ]

Harmonix representatives have suggested, "If you can play the drum parts on hard, you can pretty much play the drums [in reality]."[

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course Harmonix representatives will say that: it sounds great, and it's incentive to buy the game. Perfect marketing! wink.gif

I know that "Guitar Hero" is a blast, and "Rock Band" is probably three times as fun, given the features. I'm certainly not a guitar man, and I love it. That point is well taken. However, to say that a video game will help someone to learn to play a real instrument isn't true, and I've heard it far too many times from too many people. Far too many intangibles involved with the real instrument. Ask my old college roommate, who mastered Guitar Hero II, and can't play guitar to save his life. Too many late nights listening to him try...

Guitar Hero wont teach you guitar by any means...in fact it will probably throw your rhythem off if you are trying to learn how to stay in time...that is the part that drives me crazy about the game...compared to the "real" song, the timing is way off.

I'd say with drums on Rock Band it very well could be close to the real thing...

oh yea i agree guitar hero doesn't help you really at all playing the real guitar...i've beat expert on 2 and i'm sure i will on 3 too once i get it but i've tried to teach myself real guitar playing tabs and stuff it's hard..and guitar hero didn't help me at all, but with the drums i'd say it'll be close to the real thing too cuz thats how the drums are played you hit them

Just got back from playing it. I played the drum part. This game is insane!!!! Its ten times better than any guitar hero. Cant wait till some other people play it and see if they agree with me. One of the greatest games of all time.

• 1 month later...