Congratulations to James Monroe on a great season!!!

GMan

Thanks for the compliments on the boys, I honestly appreciate it fellas. Congrats to Bluefield. Can't say I'm happy about the result but Bluefield earned the trip to Wheeling like are guys did. and they should be proud.

FYI, you'll see me (among MANY others) post some things about our coaching on this board for a while. It shoul be understood that we're not discrediting Bluefield, suffice to say, there are some pissed off people in Monroe Co. this morning. Maybe we'll get another crack at it next year.

it's always funny how the arm chair qb's are praising their coaches and saying how great they are - when they're winning... but fire 'em, hang 'em, kill 'em if they lose.

go back through the weeks and see how ALL the mavs fans were praising the coaches. when executed properly - plays work...

you finally make it over the hump and get to wheeling, and now you want to complain??? winning at wheeling is tough, we know... we've lost there several times

and i'm not starting nothing, just pointing out that you all should be proud of what you did this season.

I remember back in '04 how everyone claimed 'lil Freddie the greatest assistant coach at BHS since Carlock and Chmara. but those same people were ready to hang him after they lost the next year to Weir in a route.

fact is - it's tough and it hurts to lose in wheeling, it's even tougher to win there

[ QUOTE ]

it's always funny how the arm chair qb's are praising their coaches and saying how great they are - when they're winning... but fire 'em, hang 'em, kill 'em if they lose.

go back through the weeks and see how ALL the mavs fans were praising the coaches. when executed properly - plays work...

you finally make it over the hump and get to wheeling, and now you want to complain??? winning at wheeling is tough, we know... we've lost there several times

and i'm not starting nothing, just pointing out that you all should be proud of what you did this season.

I remember back in '04 how everyone claimed 'lil Freddie the greatest assistant coach at BHS since Carlock and Chmara. but those same people were ready to hang him after they lost the next year to Weir in a route.

fact is - it's tough and it hurts to lose in wheeling, it's even tougher to win there

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand them being upset with the coaching. They went away from their bread and butter...the running game. Yes, they burned Bluefield for a TD early but that didn't mean that they should ditch the run and try to throw the ball all night...which they did, even when they had the lead. I am not sure why Witt didn't just pound the Beavers with the running game all night. It may not have been pretty but it was very effective when they stuck with it. Had they stuck with it, the outcome could have been different. I'm a firm believer in "dancing with what brung ya"...never dump your date at the big dance...

All during the week leading up to the game last night I thought that JM would try to pass more thinking it would catch Bluefield off guard and it worked for the first score but after that the element of surprise was gone and Bluefield was more prepared for it.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand them being upset with the coaching. They went away from their bread and butter...the running game. Yes, they burned Bluefield for a TD early but that didn't mean that they should ditch the run and try to throw the ball all night...which they did, even when they had the lead. I am not sure why Witt didn't just pound the Beavers with the running game all night. It may not have been pretty but it was very effective when they stuck with it. Had they stuck with it, the outcome could have been different. I'm a firm believer in "dancing with what brung ya"...never dump your date at the big dance...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as I wasn't at the game, I'm at the mercy of the stats and the radio call...

It sounded like Bluefield was putting 9 in the box, daring JM to throw the ball. When a defense does that, you have to take what they'll give you. But even then, looking at the stats, JM had 54 rushes (that's a lot of carries) for 204 yards. That's a little less than 4 yards per carry, so it seems that Bluefield did take that option away somewhat. JM was 6-16 in the passing game, so that is still a run-centered offense, even in this game.

James Monroe hasn't thrown 16 passes in any game this season. The four yards per carry is the norm for JM with their single wing offense...as I said it isn't pretty but its effective...and they gave up on it...

I thought it would have been a wise move on the part of JM to work on a specialized offensive set that could be used at the end of the game if they needed a score in a hurry and had a lot of field to go. JM completely fell apart on that last drive with numerous penalties and the pressure of the situation just seemed to get to them. You could really tell Bluefield was poised and didn't panic when they were down 9-0 when JM had the ball inside the 50 once or twice in the first half.

Congratulations to James Monroe on getting to the title game this year! All of the JM players, coaches, fans, and boosters need to give themselves a big pad on the back for working their butts off all year! Great job!

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounded like Bluefield was putting 9 in the box, daring JM to throw the ball. When a defense does that, you have to take what they'll give you. But even then, looking at the stats, JM had 54 rushes (that's a lot of carries) for 204 yards. That's a little less than 4 yards per carry, so it seems that Bluefield did take that option away somewhat. JM was 6-16 in the passing game, so that is still a run-centered offense, even in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Several of those 54 rushing attempts counted were sacks on passing plays. Take those out and the average yards per rush was a little different. It would have been a little different had Bluefield shut down the running game, but that was not the case, Witt just lost his mind in the second half. For those who have watched the program for several years, it was something right out of the Donnie Jackson era. Different players, head coach, and offense, but a repeat of the same old horror movie.

I'll say this particularly of the 3rd & short that we threw on, it reminded me alot of the 2004 Weir-Bluefield game where Weir's coaches pretty much threw the game away. I remember well that heads rolled over that, and judging from the number of angry fans last night, it could be an interesting off-season in Monroe County.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Several of those 54 rushing attempts counted were sacks on passing plays. Take those out and the average yards per rush was a little different. It would have been a little different had Bluefield shut down the running game, but that was not the case, Witt just lost his mind in the second half. For those who have watched the program for several years, it was something right out of the Donnie Jackson era. Different players, head coach, and offense, but a repeat of the same old horror movie.

I'll say this particularly of the 3rd & short that we threw on, it reminded me alot of the 2004 Weir-Bluefield game where Weir's coaches pretty much threw the game away. I remember well that heads rolled over that, and judging from the number of angry fans last night, it could be an interesting off-season in Monroe County.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing this game to the 2004 Bluefield/Weir game is a strech because A) James Monroe didn't dominate Bluefield 46 mins of the game like Weir did and B) the game wasn't going to be wrapped up if JM converted on the third and short.

This group of Beaver players are "Championship quality " players. Don't think for one minute had he stuck to the run that the Mavericks would have won. Bluefield shut down the run in the second half after an emotional halftime break where all the players got their hearts together and focused on their prize. These guys were determined to win it all and were not going to be denied. Regardless of what play call Whitt decided to call. so quit blaming it on your coaches and be proud of your accomplishments.

One of the game changing plays in my opinion was Bluefield's 4 receivers wide right. As soon as they lined up with that formation, I said "uh oh!" and if ever there was a time to call for a time out to talk a little D, that was it. Nice play and it resulted in a TD.

Congratulations to Bluefield on your championship. Also congrats to the Mavs who have had a great season, and, although it's easy to question some of the play calling, I'm not going to rag on the coach because he got us there. Looking forward to next season.

from what I was told by some of the Bluefield players, they were eating at the same place as some James Monroe players were and they were already talking trash about beating Bluefield in this years basketball season. Seems like their minds were off of football..and a little crazy, seeing as how Bluefield will in no way lose to James Monroe in basketball. Kinda funny, considering James Monroe got beat down in the sectionals last year by 30 points.

Congrats on getting there. But you cant blame it on the coaching. The run wasnt working and the only thing you scored on was a pass. I think the coaches were a little overwhelmed with the feeling but i agree with their play calling

The run wasn't working? We averaged 4 yards a carry. I call that working just fine. On the third and 2 play we gained 4 on 1st down and 4 on second down. He should have stuck with the run. It still might not have changed things but it would have given us a better chance.But thats the way things go. You can what if any game to death. The Mavericks played hard and thats all you can ask!

The Mavs played hard and they played well but beating the Beavers just wasnt gonna happen. Not trying to get anyones panties in a wad but Beavers D rose to the occasion when really challenged, they bent but never broke. The td pass the Mavs did score on was more of a blown coverage, not sure if it was b/c of ponder cramping up or what but Blfd overcame turnovers, penalties, no calls and still won the game and thats what champions do. JM has now had 2 shots at the Beavs and failed in both attempts therefor its now crystal clear who the better team is/was.......THE 2007 AA STATE CHAMPION BLUEFIELD BEAVERS !!