Tech in the national title?

BigBlueAlum

I wasnt sure where LSU was ranked. I would much rather LSU make it to the national championship anyway. I just wouldnt feel right with Tech in the NC and LSU not...after the whoooping thet layed on us. But, I may not complain if Tech did sneak in. laugh.gif

Boy, that's a good question.

Do they deserve to? I don't think so. Yes, I know the Hokies are ranked sixth and LSU is ranked seventh. However, it's hard to forget that vicious 48-7 victory by LSU in September. If a team deserves it, based on its merit (only two losses came in triple overtime), LSU (SEC champion) deserves the national title spot over Virginia Tech (ACC champion).

Will they? Maybe. Here is the BCS listing, numerically: http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/poll?poll=BCS

Virginia Tech will definitely jump Kansas, and it's not inconceivable for Virginia Tech to jump Georgia. It all depends on whether the voters believe that Virginia Tech deserves to jump those two non-conference champions, and whether the computers will take this into account. I don't believe LSU will jump Virginia Tech, either: Boston College was a higher quality opponent than Tennessee, and the computers take a big look at that. Human voters might not. Ay, yay, yay.

The BCS is in SHAMBLES right now...

I would be completely fine with it. Tech is about 100X better than they were in that game. But the voters don't care. Tech was blown out by LSU and thats all they see. And i don't know if i can blame them.

[ QUOTE ]

Boy, that's a good question.

Do they deserve to? I don't think so. Yes, I know the Hokies are ranked sixth and LSU is ranked seventh. However, it's hard to forget that vicious 48-7 victory by LSU in September. If a team deserves it, based on its merit (only two losses came in triple overtime), LSU deserves the national title spot.

Will they? Maybe. Here is the BCS listing, numerically: http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/poll?poll=BCS

Virginia Tech will definitely jump Kansas, and it's not inconceivable for Virginia Tech to jump Georgia. It all depends on whether the voters believe that Virginia Tech deserves to jump those two non-conference champions, and whether the computers will take this into account.

The BCS is in SHAMBLES right now...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree (see above posts).

Here is something interesting that I just found.

The Colley Matrix (the brainchild of Abingdon's own, Wes Colley) has been the least kind of the BCS computer polls this year toward Virginia Tech. However, it has a very neat little feature to use: http://www.colleyrankings.com/playgod.html

Put in the results of the top 9 teams into the simulator, and look what comes out:

1. LSU: .88161

2. Virginia Tech: .86748

3. Ohio State: .85782

Not trying to give false hope, but this is a computer system used by the BCS.

Well, i do know one thing, they analysist are finally talking about a playoff system regulary on ESPN now and they have a poll about a playoff system on ESPN.COM now too, and oh yea, VT 2007 ACC CHAMPIONS BABY!!!! And whoever said it earlier about this being the greatest Sports day for you, well same here brother, Richlands and VT winning, and UT and WVU losing, cant get much better except a state title next weekend for the BLUES!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Next BCS poll...

1-OSU

2-LSU

3-Georgia

4-VT

That is if Oklahoma holds on against Misery...

[/ QUOTE ] Oklahoma looked STRONG against Missouri. This year should prove to everyone that we need a playoff...but i doubt it will ever happen. Too much money in the way things are right now.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Next BCS poll...

1-OSU

2-LSU

3-Georgia

4-VT

That is if Oklahoma holds on against Misery...

[/ QUOTE ] Oklahoma looked STRONG against Missouri. This year should prove to everyone that we need a playoff...but i doubt it will ever happen. Too much money in the way things are right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oklahoma looked strong against Misery because Misery is not a good football team...neither is/was Kansas. The Big 12 from top to bottom isn't any better than the Big East this season. Like West Virginia, Oklahoma is the only good team in the Big 12...Texas, Texas Tech, Missouri, and Kansas are like Cincy, Loserville, Rutgers, and South Florida...

There you go. People seem to neglect the fact that computers play a decent part in the rankings. With the Colley Matrix, Virginia Tech is ranked second, and that poll has been traditionally unkind to the Hokies this year.

Again, I personally believe the Hokies should not go to the national title game over a one-loss Ohio State team and a two-loss Louisiana State team that thrashed the Hokies in September. However, as good as Virginia Tech is in the computers, anything's possible.