Bluefield Basketball 2007-2008

hokie07

Basketball should have started right before Thanksgiving and with football season finished I guess it is in full swing now. Does anyone have any upcoming information about the team? Projected starters? Scrimmage dates/results?

projected starts.

1- Craig Ponder

2- Turquan Casey

3- Ansel Ponder

4- Warren Furrow

5- Shaun Brooks

all positions can have changes but the most uncertain ive noticed is '2'. It's between Tre Baker and Turquan Casey.

most likely not. there are three good freshman is what im hearing and they will be JV. not enough to field a 9th grade team though. JV players that I know of are JD Dewitt, Damien Price, Brandon Davis, Kyle Harris and the two other freshman. those are just who I know of. Also from football Alex Morris (Smalls, Real Brains..as most of us know him) is thinking of playing.

I expect Bluefield to be very thin this season. While they'll win 15-18 games they aren't the serious title contender this year that the likes of Logan and Ravenswood are. This is the year that someone other than Bluefield has a shot at making it to Charleston out of Region 7. Regardless, I'm content with a state football championship... grin.gif

Great. Thanks for the info.

I hope that Bluefield can keep doing what they have been doing the past couple of years. They have been such a powerhouse in Class AA and I want to see them continue their dominance. Best of luck to Coach Havens in his first year as the head coach of the Beavers. I am sure that he can match and exceed the expectations that Gilliard had set.

I really think Bluefield will be just as legit as they have been. With Ansel Ponder, Shaun Brooks and Craig Ponder leading the way, they will be very, very tough. I think the fact that people are already beginning to count them out is a reason they will be very successful. I believe we will make it upstate again. We are deeper than most people see. Tre Baker and Turquan Casey are two good players and ca easily fit in at the 2 or 3 position. Craig Ponder is a great natural point guard and I look for him to have an excellent season. Bluefield will be legit..no doubt in my mind.

Outside of Ansel Ponder there isn't a proven consistent player on the team. Craig Ponder has some potential and I heard really turned heads over the spring and summer. However, it's going to take more than the Ponder brothers to take Bluefield back up state. Brooks has to become more consist in every game with his defense and rebounding. And guys like Casey and Baker have to be more consistent shooters. The talent is there, but I've yet to see the consistency out of anyone on the team outside of Ponder that it will take to keep the team among the elite in AA.

Brooks has the best defense on the team..had it last year easily. Anyone he matched up with never got much. His offense strugles some, but when its on, its unstopable. I believe the Ponder brothers can carry though but they will need help. Theyve been playing together for years and after ive witnessed them ballin with each other, im very convinced that those two names will be announced a lot.

youre right about Casey's shooting ability. He struggled a lot last year when he got in but he has a good mid range shot. Baker can drive the lane very well and is often underestimated with his size in how strong he truly is and his jumping ability. I expect Bluefield to be just plain fast this year. We've been fast in previous years, but I think this year it will be mindblowing at how quickly we will be able to get up and down the court.

That is exactly what I am thinking too Rules. Craig Ponder is a very, very good point guard, but he didn't see a substantial amount of playing time last season so I still would not consider him a polished player just yet. Brooks is a big body down low and can bang, but if him and Ponder get in foul trouble then I see that as a big disadvantage to the Beavers. Outside of Ponder, they do not have the outside shooting ability they had last year with Moore, Hammond, and Harris. If Bluefield wants to be successful this year then they are, without a doubt, going to have to take the ball to the basket this year and play tough defense. I could see this season being a bright one for Bluefield, but at the same time I do not see the consistency in this team as the past teams have had in the last couple of years. I hope that good coaching will benefit the Beavers this year because that is the key to being successful. Good coaching with less talent always beat the more talented, less coached Beavers in the Gilliard era.

Ponder doesnt shoot outside..he hasnt. To my knowledge, we really dont have any three-point threats, other than Craig. Our defense will be tough like it is every year and I agree that if Ansel and Brooks get in foul trouble it could be difficult..but we do have a lot of fill ins.

As for Craig not getting much playing time..he was behind Dexter Moore, so that's understandable. He gets plenty of time on his AAU team and absolutely dominated JV last season. I believe that there was one game last year when he lead the team in scoring while he was on the floor with Brooks, Moore, Ansel and Kyle. Craig is official..dont let his limited time last year determine that. I remind you that he was behind the two-time honorable mention all american.

I am not doubting Craig Ponder because I know what he can do, but I am saying that he will have many tough games as a sophomore because it happens to everyone. Dexter Moore also had some tough games in the early part of his career.

I am excited for Bluefield basketball this season, but I also do not know what to expect. Losing 4 starters who all had the opportunity to play college basketball (and 3 of which are) will leave a dent in any team, but I think that if anyone can fill those gaps, it is Bluefield.

It'll be an interesting season for Bluefield, one way or the other. I might even make the trip in for a game or two at some point during the year. I went about 9 years and missed maybe 2-3 Bluefield games a year. However, I've not watched a Beaver basketball game since the state semi-final loss to Westside several years ago. I swore after watching that pathetic display of coaching that I'd never watch another Bluefield basketball game as long as Gilliard was the coach and I haven't. But a new coach just might make it worth the trip from C'burg to watch the Beavers again.

you know what i mean. not just sub when its needed in fouls...but whenever we want because we have good people at every position.

I believe as of right now our starters for fridays game will be Craig, Turquan, Tre, Ansel and Shaun. Marcus, Jake and Warren will sub in a lot and then the JV will play.