Good story on Bluefield's Devin Myers...

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_338224827.html

Myers was motivator for state champions

By TOM BONE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — A sports cliché refers to athletes playing with “heart.â€

Devin Myers’ heart has kept him out of uniform this year, but the senior was still a key presence on the Bluefield High School football team that finished an undefeated season Friday night by winning the Class AA championship in Wheeling.

Myers was on the field after the game with his teammates, proudly displaying the state championship trophy. Head coach Fred Simon saw to it that he got to hold the award.

Myers said amid the celebration, “I can’t even explain it in words, how much it means to be a part of this team. It’s a blessing for me to even be standing here right now.

“To be a part of something with so much pride and so much discipline, everything, it’s unbelievable.â€

Myers was a member of the 2005 team that made it to the finals, and last year’s playoff team, listed as a fullback. Simon said he would have started for the Beavers this year.

Then came the day he felt weak and dizzy at practice, according to the coaching staff. He was diagnosed with a heart condition, the report went, and his playing career was over.

But not his association with the team. He continued to come every day to practice, to weight-lifting and to workouts.

Simon said, “I think this is very remarkable and shows how much he cares about the team.†The coaches listed him on the 2007 team roster.

Bluefield High assistant coach Mike Craighead, who’s known Myers most of his life, said simply, “We all know he’s got the heart of a champion.â€

Myers’ condition has given him a spiritual perspective uncommon in young men his age.

He continues to feel the urge to be in the huddle with his teammates from early childhood. “I still haven’t got used to it,†he said Friday night. “I would have loved to suit it up. But I’m just thankful that I’m not watching them from above — that I’m standing on the sideline right now.

“Yeah, I’m upset that I didn’t get to dress and play, but ... it doesn’t matter to me, as long as I’m a part of this team.â€

His new position title appears to be “motivator.â€

He said, “Everybody sees everybody score all the touchdowns, and things like that, but behind the scenes, everybody credited me with keeping the team up. I never have a voice after the games,†he said as he cleared the hoarseness from his throat.

“My role on game day is, just, to be here. I’m more the motivation to some of the players. It’s like, I’m still on the field — I’m not on the field physically, but I’m still out there spiritually. They know I’m here, and I think that motivates them.â€

He said he didn’t have to ask Simon if he could continue to work with the football program.

“Coach knew how much I loved everybody on the team,†he said. “We’ve been together ever since we were 6 years old. He knew I wasn’t going to leave the team, not that easy.

“Ansel Ponder, Brandon Harris, Marvin Dowell, Shaun Brooks, all of us have been playing since we were little kids. And it’s so great to top off our senior season with a championship win!â€

When asked what he would remember about the title trips 20 years from now, Myers’ first thought was to remark how cold it was.

“Other than that,†he added, “I’m going to look back on how the leadership was, and how we were taught, and that’s just unbelievable. And hopefully we’ve passed it on.â€

— Contact Tom Bone at

tbone@bdtonline.com

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I can remember winning the rec league championship with Devin, Kyle Hammond and myself in elementary school. We went undefeated that year.

Devin is a great guy, and represents Bluefield High School very well.

I had that group of guys when I did my student teaching and I was impressed at how smart he was back then. I know how much he means to Ansel, Marvin, and Shawn and the rest of those guys. I'm glad that they are still running around together and still very clsoe.

truly a champion... i have shared many good times with this young man and I'm telling you guys I will not be surprised to see him excel on every level in life. May God Bless him and his buddies. That particular group of seniors have always been together , always won it all, and will always be number 1 in my book.