WVU currently blowing Auburn out by 40 in Alabama

wvuraiders

okay after this im done..ask ANYONE on this board if we arent VERY DOWN in football and we lost to a winless team.. and we lost a very close game to yall in like 05..and EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD IS AWARE OF THE FACT THAT BLUEFIELD WOULD KILL ANYONE WHO EVEN LOOKED AT THEM WITH A BASKETBALL thats from Southwest Virginia hoss cat..Talking about a tradition of winning well we usually end up with a winning record in basketball..we dominate the area in wrestling..we do good in XC and in the past Grundy Football was a top program around here...but i really have better things to do than argue over a mascot for crying out loud..ill leave you with this little pic..

6y2kodz.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question, a intentional foul is committed is when its just that...Intentional.... So when your down 3 points and you foul to make them shoot free throws. Wouldnt that be considered an intentional foul?

and why do hippies not wash there hair?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

he gained 40 lbs....eating more and lifting...truth...no bias here just stating what announcers said...if you look closly butler gained considerable weight as well

[/ QUOTE ]

well i never looked closely at either one, but with all the basketball he was probably playing i find it hard for him to gain 30 pounds of muscle in six months. and as for the announcers, they probably go by the media guide, which is altered anyways...

LOL..........simple fact....Big East is the best basketball conference this year and last year. The SEC has a good team or two....ACC has two perennial powerhouses.....but comeon. Some of people would die before giving props to the Mountaineers who whipped Auburn.....inside and out. They didn't live and die by the three. Those days are over. You should have saw Alexander with the oop! Sure Auburn isn't the best SEC....we didn't choose who we played...but they have predicted WVU 10th in the tough BE. I like being the underdog.

[ QUOTE ]

LOL..........simple fact....Big East is the best basketball conference this year and last year. The SEC has a good team or two....ACC has two perennial powerhouses.....but comeon.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's highly, highly debatable: by absolutely NO means, a simple fact. I will certainly not deny that the Big East is a great conference, and I will even go so far as to say that the Big East is second. However, here are a few things to examine in this analysis. First, historically:

Total championships (by current conference members since 1939):

ACC-10

Big East-10

Fairly close on the historical regard. It does make a difference to note that the Big East has 16 teams, whereas the ACC has 12.

Very slight edge: ACC

Most championships won by schools within the conference:

ACC: North Carolina-4, Duke-3

Big East: Connecticut-2, Cincinnati-2

Edge: ACC

Schools with most final four appearances within the conference:

ACC: North Carolina-16, Duke-14

Big East: Louisville-8, Cincinnati-8

School with most NCAA tournament appearances in conference:

ACC: North Carolina-39

Big East: Louisville-34

Slight edge: ACC

Schools with most NCAA tournament wins:

ACC: North Carolina-89, Duke-85

Big East: Louisville-55

HUGE edge: ACC

Winningest team from each conference:

ACC: North Carolina-1,914 wins

Big East: St. John's-1,705 wins

So, historically, we can pretty much assert that the ACC is a bit superior to the Big East, right?

Now let's look at last season:

Teams accepted to the NCAA tournament

ACC: 7

Big East: 6

Teams in the Elite Eight:

ACC: 1

Big East: 1

Minute edge: Big East

Yes, I know Georgetown beat North Carolina; I'm not that naive. I also concede that the best year's best Big East team was better than last year's best ACC team. However, as we've seen in football just recently, this does NOT mean that that given conference is the better conference. The ACC contenders could easily retort that their conference was "down" last year.

Again, I'm mainly the messenger here (a bit biased to the ACC, albeit), but the facts don't lie. It's very close: even so close as to have 3 ACC teams in the NIT quarterfinals, compared to the Big East's 2, with West Virginia over Clemson in the NIT finals. In the end, however, I believe that from top to bottom, the ACC is the better conference.

dude everything ur comparing is giving the edge to the ACC because of UNC and Duke being dominant for decades..thanks to u i know everything there is to know about duke and UNC now..but with those 2 teams not included how would VT, GT, maryland, FSU, clemson, wake, NCstate, BC, miami and UVA compare to the Big east in hoops? cause from what u were comparing it was like duke did this plus UNC did that so that equals the ACC is better

way to burst their bubble Gman! lol

WVU is improved, but when they hit the Conference schedule, game over.

[/ QUOTE ] Game over? they went 27-9 last year and have the bulk of their players back with another year of experience and an improved defense under huggins, they'll be a top 5-6 team in the big east and back in the NCAA tourney for the 3rd time in 4 years

[ QUOTE ]

dude everything ur comparing is giving the edge to the ACC because of UNC and Duke being dominant for decades..thanks to u i know everything there is to know about duke and UNC now..but with those 2 teams not included how would VT, GT, maryland, FSU, clemson, wake, NCstate, BC, miami and UVA compare to the Big east in hoops? cause from what u were comparing it was like duke did this plus UNC did that so that equals the ACC is better

[/ QUOTE ]

I was quoting everything the ACC and Big East had done for decades in order to give my analysis historical precedent. I did it to set up my analysis for the present debate, which I do not appear to have done eloquently enough. Let me continue:

You mention the following teams above: Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Florida State, Clemson, Wake Forest, North Carolina State, Boston College, Miami, and Virginia. Here's some snippets on each:

Virginia Tech had their best season in a decade last year, reaching the second round of the NCAA tournament with a 21-11 (10-6) mark, falling just short in the second round of the NCAA tournament to Southern Illinois, a good program.

Georgia Tech made it to the national championship game in 2004, and has since made the NCAA tournament in the 2004-2005 and 2006-2007 seasons.

Maryland has won a national title in the last decade (2001-2002). They also made a final four in 2000-2001, a sweet sixteen in 2002-2003, and the second round in 2003-2004 and 2006-2007.

Florida State, as one of the predominantly weaker teams in the ACC, still holds its own, with NIT appearances in 2005-2006 and 2006-2007, making the quarterfinals of the most recent one. Interesting fact: Florida State is one of only two ACC schools to have a player drafted each of the last four seasons.

Clemson, although up and coming, still has historically been one of the weaker teams in the ACC. As a team in the botton of our little conference, they just made the NIT finals last year. Likewise, they have been to this tournament each of the past three seasons, and are currently 8-0.

Wake Forest is an interesting case: a sweet sixteen in 2003-2004, an NCAA second round in 2002-2003 and 2004-2005. As the worst team in the ACC in 2005-2006, the team still made the NIT. They are surprisingly at 5-2 this season, just having lost their beloved coach Skip Prosser.

North Carolina State is a team that has had interesting times lately. As the 10th-seed in the ACC last year, the Wolfpack nearly stole the ACC title away from North Carolina, instead settling for the 3rd round of the NIT. Add that to an NCAA Sweet Sixteen in 2004-2005, NCAA second rounds in 2003-2004 and 2005-2006, and an NCAA appearance in 2002-2003, and that's an impressive resume.

Boston College, although being in the ACC a short time, has left its mark. An NCAA Sweet Sixteen in 2005-2006 and an NCAA second round in 2006-2007 highlight their current achievements. The Eagles are currently 6-1.

Miami is near the bottom of the ACC ladder. However, they have their own accomplishments: an NIT appearance in 2004-2005, and the third round of the NIT in 2005-2006. The Hurricanes are an astounding 7-0 right now, given their ACC Media Day prediction of last in the conference.

Virginia is the shooting star of the ACC at the moment. Mired under a pathetic Pete Gillen, the Cavaliers still managed to make the second round of the NIT in 2003-2004. After Dave Leitao took the helm, he guided a team that shouldn't have won 10 games to an NIT birth in 2005-2006, and to within a missed three-pointer of a Sweet Sixteen birth in 2006-2007.

There's the analysis in bloody, laborious detail, sans Duke and North Carolina. One thing stands as a testament to the strength of the conference: even the weakest teams in the ACC still play after their regular seasons are over. I will leave it at that for tonight.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

LOL..........simple fact....Big East is the best basketball conference this year and last year. The SEC has a good team or two....ACC has two perennial powerhouses.....but comeon.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's highly, highly debatable: by absolutely NO means, a simple fact. I will certainly not deny that the Big East is a great conference, and I will even go so far as to say that the Big East is second. However, here are a few things to examine in this analysis. First, historically:

ACC-10

Big East-10

Fairly close on the historical regard. It does make a difference to note that the Big East has 16 teams, whereas the ACC has 12.

So, historically, we can pretty much assert that the ACC is a bit superior to the Big East, right?

Yes, I know Georgetown beat North Carolina; I'm not that naive. I also concede that the best year's best Big East team was better than last year's best ACC team. However, as we've seen in football just recently, this does NOT mean that that given conference is the better conference. The ACC contenders could easily retort that their conference was "down" last year.

Again, I'm mainly the messenger here (a bit biased to the ACC, albeit), but the facts don't lie. It's very close: even so close as to have 3 ACC teams in the NIT quarterfinals, compared to the Big East's 2, with West Virginia over Clemson in the NIT finals. In the end, however, I believe that from top to bottom, the ACC is the better conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of these numbers show that the Big East is better from top to bottom than the ACC. That statement isn't even true, but when you mentioned the teams with most titles, it showed that the ACC has a few great teams and other good teams. The Big East is solid from top to about the #10 position.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

are you serious. every acc team played in the postseason last year i believe. they are solid from 1 to 12 in that respect. this is not even a debate. louiville is down now, uconn is struggling, and wvu debate isnt even plausible because they havent played anyone yet.

the ACC is the best conference for college basketball. hands down. the big east i would put at second. Why? Because the big east doesnt ever get as many teams into the tourney. ACC had nearly every, if not every, team into the tourney last year. Sure the big east is tough and im in not way saying that it isnt, but the ACC is the best conference. Outside of Duke and UNC, Clemson, Boston College, Virginia, VT, GT, NC State, FSU and even now you can consider Miami to be a very good/decent team out of the ACC. The Big East is a great conference, but they are not as good top-to-bottom as the ACC is. Notre Dame is not a good team, Providence is not a good team, St. Johns is not a good team.

I would list as strength in conferences ACC, Big East, PAC 10.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ACC-10

Big East-10

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of these numbers show that the Big East is better from top to bottom than the ACC. That statement isn't even true, but when you mentioned the teams with most titles, it showed that the ACC has a few great teams and other good teams. The Big East is solid from top to about the #10 position.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would do wonders if you read my most previous post. That will answer this question in full.

[ QUOTE ]

LOL..........simple fact....Big East is the best basketball conference this year and last year. The SEC has a good team or two....ACC has two perennial powerhouses.....but comeon. Some of people would die before giving props to the Mountaineers who whipped Auburn.....inside and out. They didn't live and die by the three. Those days are over. You should have saw Alexander with the oop! Sure Auburn isn't the best SEC....we didn't choose who we played...but they have predicted WVU 10th in the tough BE. I like being the underdog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here he goes with his usless jargon again.....

I will give WVU props when they beat a quality team, just like in football.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

....we didn't choose who we played...

[/ QUOTE ]

if WVU didnt who did? lol

I was just checking out the basketball rankings and such, and I noticed that Pitt is ranked in the Top 10. Maybe WVU could give them a little payback later on in the season for what they did to them on the football field. wink.gif

Guest BEAVERTAIL

they will be out after Puke plays them... (as much as I hate Duke i cant believe i said that)

Very possible, but they have some good games coming up and it is a possibility that if they can knock off Georgetown later on in the season they could be on their way moving up again.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ACC-10

Big East-10

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...........I would agree that the ACC is historically a little bit better of a conference, but not last year or this year. The ACC will always get several bids in the tournament as long as the wins are there and no matter who they are against. The ACC gets a lot of respect when giving out bids to the NCAA TOURNAMENT. The Big East is loaded this year. ACC HAS 3 top 25 teams. BE has 5 top 25 teams as from the AP.

[ QUOTE ]

And most teams are anywhere from 6-9 games into their seasons. Conference play hasn't even started yet. It's far too early in the season to debate which conference is stronger. Heck, the projected ACC bottom-feeder is 9-0 right now. Let's give it some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will agree with that. I will also say that over the last two years that SEC has been the strongest. Don't believe me? What conference does Florida play in? Big East and ACC can put 7 teams in the tourney, but if none of them make it into the final game, then they have no argument that they play in the best conference for that year.

If the ACC could dump the sorry Big Ten/Eleven, I would definitely be all for that. Georgetown-North Carolina; Connecticut-Duke; Louisville-North Carolina State; West Virginia-Virginia; tons of other great, interesting matchups. Too bad that it makes far too much sense for the conferences to ever agree to it.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

And most teams are anywhere from 6-9 games into their seasons. Conference play hasn't even started yet. It's far too early in the season to debate which conference is stronger. Heck, the projected ACC bottom-feeder is 9-0 right now. Let's give it some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will agree with that. I will also say that over the last two years that SEC has been the strongest. Don't believe me? What conference does Florida play in? Big East and ACC can put 7 teams in the tourney, but if none of them make it into the final game, then they have no argument that they play in the best conference for that year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am never sold on the SEC in basketball. Yes, Florida won it twice, but the first time they had it handed to them. Kentucky has been down, as well as Tennessee (they have been better this year but i expect them to fall to XAvier and Zaga') and Ole miss, Miss st, UGA, Arkansas, Alabama, and south carolina have never been that good in the last 4-5 years. LSU i believe is the only team that has actually been in the final four besides UF since kentucky in 1998.

At some times the "best conference" or most competitive knock each other off. In Basketball they get another opportunity if they get in the tournament and it's everyone's best game each game. I would agree that the best coaching is in the ACC and usually the Best teams are in the ACC and recently the SEC with Florida, but as a whole conference with number of highly competitive teams....I would say Big East.

SEC is in no way the best conference. They have had UF and LSU. UF has won it twice in a row, but will not this year, and LSU was great two years ago but really dropped off last season. the SEC is nowhere close to being the best conference in hoops.