Huckabee

Lance

Local Huckabee supporters celebrate win

By Steve Visser

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/05/08

The Atlanta-based Mike Huckabee party celebrating the former governor's Republican presidential primary win here Tuesday was small, intimate and loud  at least when he was announced Georgia's GOP winner.

"We want Mike, we want Mike, we want Mike" rose up from the lobby of the Crown Plaza hotel off of I-285.

State Rep. Ed Setzler, R-Acworth, told the crowd of about 50 people to stay strong and withstand the assault from the right-wing media elite who mocked Huckabee as a populist. Setzler quoted Mahatma Gandhi: "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you and then they attack you and then you win," Setzler said.

On Tuesday, Huckabee had the last laugh in Georgia, he said.

"We have built a grassroots movement in Georgia," Setzler said. "Main street America wants to have a president who embraces main street values."

Stella Lohmann said people shouldn't find Huckabee's win surprising, noting the former governor had been almost an apostle in saying that the road to the GOP nomination was not a two-man race.

"He gets big crowds with very little money so he is doing something right," the 60-year-old cowboy-hat donning woman from Cumming said. "I think people are selling him short by casting him off as the 'pastor candidate.'"

Setzler said Huckabee cared more about helping Arkansas than positioning himself as a candidate the GOP hierarchy would rubber-stamp.

"The conservative elite don't like that  the Sean Hannitys, the Rush Limbaughs the George Wills," said Setzler to explain why the GOP leaders didn't support Huckabee. "Frankly, they don't have their fingers on the pulse of the American people."

The Huckabee party retired early. By the time CNN called Tennessee for Huckabee just after midnight only Setzler and a half dozen hangers on were left to cheer.

bucfan64 i thought you were a moderator? but man you are definitely the most die hard republican i know haha and yea im realy feeling huckabee... i like his view on space exploration when he said "i think we should send hillary clinton to mars"

• 4 weeks later...

Mike Huckabee has officially dropped out of the 2008 Presidential Election thus making John McCain the GOP nominee for the General Election.

President Bush is scheduled to endorse McCain tomorrow afternoon...