Why are there so many Duke and UNC fans in this area?

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I know in another year or two Kentucky will be back in the top ten in college basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly. Kentucky has a lot of recruiting to do to catch up with the elite of college basketball again. The problem is that Kentucky has lost much of its lure with the current high school kids, so Gillispie has to re-establish their image...

[/ QUOTE ]

When Roy Williams took over a UNC program that was pretty much in the same position UK is right now, he was pretty successful almost right away. Granted, Kentucky does not name have a "name" coach, but the guy is a great recruiter and I think he will have them back into the elite group pretty quick.

UNC's and Kentucky's names alone are pretty good recruiters and I'm not sure how much damage has been done to their reputation with high school talent. We shall find out soon enough.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I know in another year or two Kentucky will be back in the top ten in college basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly. Kentucky has a lot of recruiting to do to catch up with the elite of college basketball again. The problem is that Kentucky has lost much of its lure with the current high school kids, so Gillispie has to re-establish their image...

[/ QUOTE ]

When Roy Williams took over a UNC program that was pretty much in the same position UK is right now, he was pretty successful almost right away. Granted, Kentucky does not name have a "name" coach, but the guy is a great recruiter and I think he will have them back into the elite group pretty quick.

UNC's and Kentucky's names alone are pretty good recruiters and I'm not sure how much damage has been done to their reputation with high school talent. We shall find out soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now wait a minute here... your missing something. Roy Williams had a great team at UNC BEFORE he got there.

Matt Doherty had a great, sensational team that he took to the pre-season NIT and won with. This team of Jawad Williams, Raymond Felton, Sean May, Rashad Mccants, Melvin Scott, Jackie Manuel, David Noel were all Matt Dohertys products. 3 of these would go on to be first rounders... Also, matt doherty laid the groundwork and for Marvin Williams, all ol' Roy had to do was give him a call and set things straight...

Matt Doherty was one broken foot away (sean may) from acheiving glory at UNC, and Roy would still be at Kansas, Self at Illinios and so on...

Matt Doherty created the team that won the 2005 National Championship, Roy may have coached them, and yes he did a great job, but Matt put the pieces there for him...

BTW, Matt Doherty's team, SMU hosts memphis sometime here soon... Im smelling an upset special! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now wait a minute here... your missing something. Roy Williams had a great team at UNC BEFORE he got there.

Matt Doherty had a great, sensational team that he took to the pre-season NIT and won with. This team of Jawad Williams, Raymond Felton, Sean May, Rashad Mccants, Melvin Scott, Jackie Manuel, David Noel were all Matt Dohertys products. 3 of these would go on to be first rounders... Also, matt doherty laid the groundwork and for Marvin Williams, all ol' Roy had to do was give him a call and set things straight...

Matt Doherty was one broken foot away (sean may) from acheiving glory at UNC, and Roy would still be at Kansas, Self at Illinios and so on...

Matt Doherty created the team that won the 2005 National Championship, Roy may have coached them, and yes he did a great job, but Matt put the pieces there for him...

BTW, Matt Doherty's team, SMU hosts memphis sometime here soon... Im smelling an upset special! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to go to class at 9 and I was sure that by the time I got back you would have already said something about Matt Doherty! LOL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to take anything away from UNC or they team they had, but after Smith retired there were a few years of mediocrity and unranked teams. All I was trying to say is that I don't think Kentucky is as bad off as people think and they will return the top ten in basketball within the next two years. Kentucky has several McDonald's All Americans currently and they have also had some key injuries this year. (Meeks being the most important) Alex Legion transfering didn't help matters either.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to take anything away from UNC or they team they had, but after Smith retired there were a few years of mediocrity and unranked teams. All I was trying to say is that I don't think Kentucky is as bad off as people think and they will return the top ten in basketball within the next two years. Kentucky has several McDonald's All Americans currently and they have also had some key injuries this year. (Meeks being the most important) Alex Legion transfering didn't help matters either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just saw it as a small chance to talk about Matt Doherty so I had to jump at the chance. I think it will take longer for Kentucky to rebuild, especially because i think Patterson may jump ship for the NBA soon...

As for when Smith retired Coach Gut was a great coach, but a lousy recruiter. Or mabe i should say recruited 3 lousy kids that screwed doherty to an extent. (morrison, boone, and fingleton). But your wrong about the fact that UNC had down years after Smith retired, in fact Coach Gut led them to 2 final fours in 3 years, after that he called it quits and the reigns were handed over to a young stud that just led a notre dame team to an outstanding season. The new coach would be Matt doherty, a former player that started alongside some of the greats, including Jordan. Doherty led his team to a 26-7 record his first year, a run that included holding the #1 spot in the ACC for awhile despite losing several seniors from the year before. The next year would be tough for Matt as more seniors departed, as well as Joeseph Forte, the MVP of 2001 went 21st in the draft to the celtics.

That leads us to the dark season, the 8-20 season. I witnessed 3 of the losses, including the worst one in ACC hisotry for the heels at home (Wake). However, this was largely in part to the horrendous three i listed above, with the only solid players being capel and lang, and Matt's first great recruiting class, Juwad Williams, Melvin Scott, and Jackie manuel. The horrendous 3 then transferred thankfully.

Next year Carolina got 3 freshmen that would chance college ball forever, Ray felton, Sean May, and Rashad McCants. That may be the best recruiting class EVER in all of college basketball. Add in the stellar David Noel, and its just icing on the cake. (2,5,13,14,39th picks in the draft) So then the wheels started to turn, and doherty led his team to a Preseason NIT championship, Kansas, Arizona,Florida, and Stanford were all in the tournament as well... And yes Doherty did beat Roy Williams in the NIT in the semifinals...

however after the first ACC win, the wheels fell off the 7-2 tarheel team. They lost Sean May, the only true post player on the team to a broken foot. The loss would kill the heels, as they lost 6 straight at one point. However, they would rebound and beat Duke in the last regualr season game. the season would end in a loss in the NIT semifinals, finishing the season 19-16.

Matt Doherty would then soon resign. We can only wonder what would happen if Sean May wouldnt have broken his foot.

but, after smith left the heels were 133-71. thats an average of 22 wins, 11 losses. and do not forget the heels were 22-14 in 99-00 when they marched to the final four...

so the heels did not drop as much as you would think. Only 1 true year unranked, (8-20) and the next the heels would crack the top 10 until the injury.

If you remember correctly, many people believed Roy should have won the Championship the first year with the players matt left him, so it would seem by that they did not slip last year, just had some unfortunate events...

UNC never really went into medicratity after smith left, in the next years UNC would go to 2 of 3 final fours after Dean retired...

where did Alex Legion transfer to? I have never kept up with Kentucky basketball but I didnt even see anything on ESPN about his transfer. I was looking forward to he and Patrick Patterson resurrecting the Wildcats into a good team again.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Illinois. Legion just has a problem with committments. He verbally committed to michigan twice, signed once, then sighen with kentucky. then in the middle of the season after UNC shuts him down and he plays only 6 minutes he transfers again.

Carolina had one really bad season after Smith left, which was 2001-02 when they finished 8-20. However, outside of that they've only failed to reach 20-wins one other time, which was 2002-2003 when they had 19-wins. Yes, those were lean years for a program like Carolina, but most teams would kill to have 19-25 win seasons.

Everything has pretty much been said on Carolina/Doherty & Kentucky/Gillispie comparison. Carolina was solid under Guthridge before Doherty arrived, having made the Final Four in 1998 and 2000. However, Guthridge did step down at the right time because he was starting to slip in recruiting, which is what hurt Doherty and Carolina so much during the 2001-2002. Jason Williams, the former dookie, loved Carolina growing up and wanted to be a Tar Heel. However, Guthridge called him and told him that Carolina wouldn't be recruiting him since they had Ronald Curry already on the roster; STUPID. They also passed on a very talented PG from NYC, Omar Cook, and took Adam Boone, who ended up transferring back home to Minnesota.

When Doherty arrived the underclassmen at Carolina were a very average bunch. Doherty did a good job with recruiting as he landed six top 75 players during his tenure and four McDonald's All-Americans in Jawad Williams, Sean May, Raymond Felton, and Rashad McCants. Doherty's issues weren't with recruiting, but yet with the way in which he handled the players and his transition at Carolina when he arrived. Carolina's rep with recruit didn't suffer much at all as they still landed a number of 5-star players and All-Americans.

Kentucky's recruiting has been down for several years now. Tubby Smith couldn't recruit an elite prospect to Lexington to save his life. I'm sure Gillispie will be able to land some though, but it's going to take some time. If you look at the kids in the classes of 2008, 2009, and 2010 very, very few listed or list Kentucky. A number of the elite players in the 2009 and 2010 classes have already committed to the likes of Carolina and Ohio State. Ohio State has really eroded Kentucky's recruiting base in that region of the country, especially with the high-major prospects.