Question about Transfers?

futbolking

Can kids from Bluefield, WV transfer to Tazewell Co., VA schools, under any circumstance?

What about Tazewell Co. kids transferring to WV?

I'm not just talking about sports here...or just high school kids...

Yes, I believe they can. Bluefield alone this year has had 2 sports players that I know of transfer from Tazewell county, one in the middle of the school year. I believe it would be just fine for kids to transfer from Bluefield, WV to Tazewell County, Va schools just as it is for students of Tazewell County school to transfer to Bluefield, WV schools.

If they don't live in VA they cannot come to Tazewell County Schools. The two you mentioned one moved (has an apartment address) to WV the other already lived in WV and was attending Tazewell county before they passed the new rule about living in VA.

I know of some students at Graham High who live in Bluefield, WV. Are they still allowed to go because they have all throughout high school? Is the rule that they cannot transfer if they live in WV?

just wondering

I wasn't aware of a new rule and don't know it firsthand, but I know that as of 3 or 4 years ago West Virginia residents could pay a fee to attend Tazewell County schools. As I stated earlier, I am not sure if this is still in effect or not...

This past year, Tazewell Co. put a limit on the number of "out-of-state" students that could attend Tazewell Co. Public Schools. Not sure what the number is, how it works, or if there is a waiting list.

You would think they would want to invite more into the schools, with enrollment numbers down. The state will pay $$ for each seat filled. Personally, I may be moving to Bluefield (WV) soon, since I attended Tazewell Co. Schools, I want my two children to attend in Tazewell Co. Not that I think the Bluefield schools would be a horrible place, I just know that the schools on the VA side are good schools. but I had heard they're not allowing that anymore. I'm hoping I can get them in.

futbolking, I understand your points and I would probably want the same for my kids if I was in your position. In my opinion, I think that it would be ludicrous for them to deny you of your wishes. They should take all of the students that they can get. It's not like people on the WV side are lined up and trying to get into the VA school system.

But if all doesn't go as planned, don't be afraid to send your kids to Bluefield. It is a safe school despite all the hit-lists in the bathrooms, drugs, fights, and every other illegal thing under the sun that goes on in the halls of BHS! (I say this mockingly because these were real questions posed by my one of my aunts several years ago when my cousins wanted to transfer to Bluefield. haha)

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

futbolking, I understand your points and I would probably want the same for my kids if I was in your position. In my opinion, I think that it would be ludicrous for them to deny you of your wishes. They should take all of the students that they can get. It's not like people on the WV side are lined up and trying to get into the VA school system.

But if all doesn't go as planned, don't be afraid to send your kids to Bluefield. It is a safe school despite all the hit-lists in the bathrooms, drugs, fights, and every other illegal thing under the sun that goes on in the halls of BHS! (I say this mockingly because these were real questions posed by my one of my aunts several years ago when my cousins wanted to transfer to Bluefield. haha)

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly, there is not a safer school in Mercer County than Bluefield High. Pikeview has problems with sex issues, from having kids rape another student just last year, to princeton having numerous fights, bomb threats, and racial tension. Just recently there was a huge fight between a bunch of gypsies and black kids. Sad really.

But as bad as people make Bluefield out to be, its not. Most of the security guards and substitutes all agree that bluefield is the nicest and well-rounded school in the area.

And also, your looking at your kids getting plenty of oppurtunities to go to Charleston and Wheeling for sporting events, and that is where most of my favorite memories are from during my high school career. It really is like a family over there, I dont think you would be dissapointed if you sent your kids there...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, growing up on the VA side, I heard some horror stories about Bluefield, WV schools (Not that I believe them) I think it's more of a thing where I want my son to be a "G-Man" and not a "Beaver"...but in the grand scheme of things, I don't guess it really matters. It could be the subject of some good debates when he gets a little older.

Thanks for the insight. My wife doesn't see the big deal of why I want my son to go to Graham and not Bluefield, but if he ends up being a Beaver, then I will support BHS 100% and still be a closet Graham fan.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

the main thing i would look at is colleges. If your kids can get VA instate deals by going to a VA school, by all means do it. There are not that many choices in WV for schools, although there are some good ones. Just a thought...

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the insight. My wife doesn't see the big deal of why I want my son to go to Graham and not Bluefield, but if he ends up being a Beaver, then I will support BHS 100% and still be a closet Graham fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad is a Graham boy so it is always good fun every year when late August rolls around. But the funny thing is, other than Beaver-Graham he pulls hard for Bluefield. He is good friends with the several people off the football coaching staff and he enjoys watching and following the kids he has watched grown up with his own.

But to what Beavertail mentioned, I would try to get my childen onto the VA side if you are looking at the possibilities a wide range of college choices. WV is a bit more limited in deciding where to go to college for in-state tuition. VA definitely holds the upper hand in that aspect.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad is a Graham boy so it is always good fun every year when late August rolls around. But the funny thing is, other than Beaver-Graham he pulls hard for Bluefield. He is good friends with the several people off the football coaching staff and he enjoys watching and following the kids he has watched grown up with his own.

But to what Beavertail mentioned, I would try to get my childen onto the VA side if you are looking at the possibilities a wide range of college choices. WV is a bit more limited in deciding where to go to college for in-state tuition. VA definitely holds the upper hand in that aspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, thanks for all the info...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

then I will support BHS 100% and still be a closet Graham fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not too bad...except for that one Friday night in late August....

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...well, my wife is from Pulaski, so she doesn't understand anything about a big-time rivalry...(I try to tell her Pulaski vs. Salem doesn't even compare...)

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You learned quick! LOL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You learned quick! LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Even then, its a win-win situation...

Futbolking, im sure you have heard many nightmarish stories about Bluefield High School. Many people I know from other spots in this area (Princeton, Bluefield, Va, Beckley, Tazewell) all think that Bluefield High School is a hell hole for criminal activity and terrible people. One person I know just transfered to Bluefield High School from Princeton Senior after a long battle of convincing his mom that Bluefield isnt bad. His mom, I am not lying, thought Bluefield High was bad because of "black people." Bluefield High has higher WEST test scores over the past four years of any school in the county, has the best athletics program in southern West Virginia, and truly have great students, and yet people hear all the insane stories about how bad it is.

If your kids end up going to Bluefield schools, im sure theyd have just as great a time in their education as I am now as a Bluefield High School student.

The only thing i hate about Bluefield is the lunch. Im a fat kid so i like large portions of food, which Bluefield doesnt give. But if i had to guess most schools are that way.

[ QUOTE ]

The only thing i hate about Bluefield is the lunch. Im a fat kid so i like large portions of food, which Bluefield doesnt give. But if i had to guess most schools are that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to spend $5/day on lunch and that was back when lunch cost $.85...