Okay, another question about Ponder. Why did it take Gravely to make this

BeaverHokie

...happen?

From the BDT article:

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_089222105.html?keyword=secondarystory

"BLUEFIELD — It didn’t sit well with Maurice Gravely when he learned that Bluefield star athlete Ansel Ponder was probably going to have to play football in the West Virginia Conference.

Instead, Gravely sent Ponder on a jet to Michigan last weekend. The Bluefield senior came back, ready to return in July to attend college and play football for the Western Michigan Broncos. "

-----------------------------

I've heard before that Fred Simon doesn't do jack squat to help his kids get into good colleges. Why does it take the coach of an opponent to help one of the Bluefield players get somewhere decent? What is wrong with this?

I personally think this makes Fred look pretty ridiculous. I'd like to hear a rational explanation why one of Bluefield's rival coaches had to do what Freddie should have been doing all along.

First, he isn't the coach at Mount View. Leon Gravely is the Mount View coach, Maurice is his brother. It sounds like the guy has some great connections and a big heart. Maybe he can help other athletes from our area get their name out there in the recruiting game in the future.

[ QUOTE ]

It sounds like the guy has some great connections and a big heart. Maybe he can help other athletes from our area get their name out there in the recruiting game in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does. He's always seemed like a decent guy, and I'm glad he's stepping it up and helping the local kids, when some coaches apparently are not doing so.

[ QUOTE ]

First, he isn't the coach at Mount View. Leon Gravely is the Mount View coach, Maurice is his brother. It sounds like the guy has some great connections and a big heart. Maybe he can help other athletes from our area get their name out there in the recruiting game in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, thank you! I totally missed that, and wondered why it didn't mention him being the coach. Definitely my error on that one.

Guest JJBrickface

How did he not have a highlight video? No wonder he wasn't getting any serious D-1 offers.

Although a couple years ahead of me, I had the pleasure of playing against Leon in high school and then in some summer league play the only thing I can say is not only was he one hell of an athlete but also a very classy guy.....Glad to see him take an interest in our local youth.

My understanding is that EKU (Eastern Kentucky) were also interested in this kid but an end-of-season coaching change at EKU didn't work in his favor. Glad to hear he has a chance to play at higher level than Concord. No offense to Concord.

We should all thank Gravely. He seems to be making this his work. He has had his number in the paper to help other kids too! Maybe this is the start of something great for our areas youth.

I believe Eastern Kentucky was after him for football and Western Kentucky after him for basketball. After a while he had Kentucky wanting him for football also. The Bluegrass State was kind to Mr. Ponder.

• 2 months later...

be careful what you read and even more so be careful what you believe... that guy actually had nothing to do with anything except being a self centered ass....(donkey). If thats what you want to call him. Leon is a pretty good coach, Tracy is cool as they get and a great former athlete and coach, Michael is down to earth and a friend to everyone..........Maurice...I'll let you research this article a little more......Wolf in sheeps clothing comes to mind when I think of him.