2008 Braves updates

trublue

Hampton back on DL; James will get start

Reyes called up from Richmond

By DAVID O'BRIEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/03/08

Mike Hampton's return to the mound is once again in a holding pattern. Or a disabled pattern.

The Braves pitcher landed on the 15-day disabled list once again, this time for a strained pectoral muscle in the left side of his chest, which flared during his pregame warmup Thursday night.

The left-hander was scratched minutes before his scheduled start against Pittsburgh, which was to have been his first regular-season game in 31 1/2 months.

"It's unbelievable that something else could pop up like that," said manager Bobby Cox, who announced that left-hander Jo-Jo Reyes would be brought up temporarily from Class AAA Richmond and that lefty Chuck James would join the rotation in Hampton's place before his next scheduled turn.

James (shoulder) will be activated from the DL on Sunday. He was scheduled to begin the season in the Richmond rotation, but that plan changed abruptly with Hampton's latest injury.

"Nobody's more disappointed than I am," said Hampton, who missed the past two seasons recovering from two left-elbow surgeries 16 months apart. "I worked pretty hard to get to this point.

"I hate it for Bobby and the team, and I hate it for myself. ... I don't know if snake-bitten is the word for it."

Hampton said he and Braves doctors believe the injury is minor. He added, "I hope that's all it is."

Cox and the pitcher said Hampton felt some discomfort in his chest when he threw a bullpen session Monday, but that it was better when he threw Wednesday in the outfield.

About 20 pitches into his warmup session Thursday, Hampton said the muscle began to "grab" and he decided he shouldn't risk more serious injury by making the start.

He said it was hard to step off the bullpen mound and tell pitching coach Roger McDowell that he wouldn't be able to start.

The Braves had to scramble and got Jeff Bennett warmed. The start of the game was delayed seven minutes for Bennett, and the right-hander pitched four innings and allowed four hits and two runs.

Hampton missed one start in spring training because of a slight groin strain, but was otherwise healthy and effective, going 1-0 with a 2.16 ERA in 16 2/3 innings over five exhibition starts.

But the fact that didn't make it out of the bullpen was another reminder of the fragile health of Hampton, 35, who has had eight DL stints since 2005.

Left pectoral is added to a Hampton injury inventory that includes right calf, left forearm, herniated disk, left elbow, right hamstring, left oblique, left groin and right groin.

He is making $15 million to finish an eight-year, $121 million contract he signed with Colorado, a record deal at that time.

He's 32-20 with a 3.96 ERA in 72 starts since being traded to Atlanta in November 2002, and last pitched in a real game Aug. 19, 2005.

Hampton had "Tommy John" ligament-transplant surgery Sept. 26, 2005, and surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon April 10, 2007.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I was pissed at Hampton, but now i feel bad for the guy. He brought tons of friends and family to the game and didn't want to disappoint them. Supposedly he knew he was injured for a few days, but thought he could pitch through it. Also, the weather may have played a factor. I was reading a message board and some people seem to think that he wasn't hurt bad enough to go the DL, but it was a strategic move by the Braves to bring up someone else to pitch in the bullpen since the bullpen has been used so much the first four games. I don't know about all that. I just hope that Hampton will be able to pitch when his 15 days are up. Every year Hampton pitched in the regular season, the Braves won the division! haha!

That being said, this upcoming series is going to be awesome against the Mets, with Hudson, Glavine, and Smoltz pitching, with the climax being Smoltz Vs. Santana on Sunday!

First off, way to post a Dave O'Brian article. That guy is phenomenal and everybody should visit ajc.com just to see what he has to say. As for Hampton, I don't know what's wrong with the guy. It's not like it is recurring injuries. He's replaced his elbow pretty much, he screwed up his hamstring for a little while, hip flexor, and now pectoral. I don't know if it's bad luck or something else, but it's impossible to keep him healthy.

With that said, it's not only Hampton that we don't have. We need to do something about our bullpen. Last night was an odd night seeing as we threw what, 6 or 7 different pitchers, but they all need to be able to come into games and get the job done. Offensively, we're sound right now, but not great. Tex and Hoss need to get their act together (I say that as Chip goes 3-5 last night). It will be a tough weekend though for the Bravos. With the pitching we have coming up, I look for us to take 2 of 3 from the Mets.

That leads me to my second rant. Why are we so worried about Johan Santana? He went 15-13 last year with an ERA of 3.33. That's not that spectacular. He's hitable. He's human. People will throw the "different league" argument at me and also the "he played for a sucky team" argument. But both of those are nullified by the fact that he was giving up a little over 3 runs. I'm not a believer in the Santana rage yet. But maybe that's just me.

Someone give me your thoughts on the Chris Resop move to left field last night (April, 3). I think Bobby Cox has about lost his mind. I'm still trying to figure out if it was tactically necessary or not. Either way, it didn't work out. Wow, I just wrote a lot. Sorry for the hijack.

Santana went 15-13 in the American League while battling an injury. Now that Santana is in the much weaker National League and is healthy, everyone should worried about facing him. He is the best pitcher in baseball, hands down.

Just making a point about you saying he is nothing to be afraid of.

[ QUOTE ]

Someone give me your thoughts on the Chris Resop move to left field last night (April, 3). I think Bobby Cox has about lost his mind. I'm still trying to figure out if it was tactically necessary or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Bobby brought in Ring to face Laroche and he struck him out easily. Bobby loves to go by match ups and it worked out there. How many times do you remember Adam Laroche hitting a ball to left field in all the time he played in Atlanta? He kept Resop in the game because he didn't want Royce Ring facing Nady and Peter Moylan was given the night off. So he brought Resop back to face Nady and he got a groundball, but it was up the middle.

[ QUOTE ]

First off, way to post a Dave O'Brian article. That guy is phenomenal and everybody should visit ajc.com just to see what he has to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on about O'Brien. He's awesome....funny guy too.

Chipper (Hoss) was actually on ajc.com earlier this year blogging with Dave (said he didn't like the name Hoss). Chipper likes to get on and see what ppl are writing/saying about the team. He has opened his own baseball academy here in Gwinnett to help kids at all levels.

Ppl do need to get own and read O'Brien's blog....also, while they're on check out the Braves vent section. It can get pretty hilarious w/Mets fans posting on there as if they're Braves fans....most very obvious to spot.

Will be going to the game tomorrow....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

First off, way to post a Dave O'Brian article. That guy is phenomenal and everybody should visit ajc.com just to see what he has to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on about O'Brien. He's awesome....funny guy too.

Chipper (Hoss) was actually on ajc.com earlier this year blogging with Dave (said he didn't like the name Hoss). Chipper likes to get on and see what ppl are writing/saying about the team. He has opened his own baseball academy here in Gwinnett to help kids at all levels.

Ppl do need to get own and read O'Brien's blog....also, while they're on check out the Braves vent section. It can get pretty hilarious w/Mets fans posting on there as if they're Braves fans....most very obvious to spot.

Will be going to the game tomorrow....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, yeah. The braves vent is amazing. The funniest one I've seen recently went something like this: "If Brian McCann raced a pregnant woman, he would come in third." I thought that was hilarious. It's going to be a tough game tomorrow though. The Mets bring a lot to each game, and it will be interesting to see what the braves pitching staff can do.

Still raining here pretty heavily...not sure about the game today, if, it will take place or when. We've decided to postpone and go to the game tomorrow ....suppose to be much better weather...in the 70's. I do know Bobby has named Glavine as the starter tomorrow instead of Smoltzie against Santana. I'm hoping with that move....it doesn't mean Smoltz has lingering problems.

[ QUOTE ]

Still raining here pretty heavily...not sure about the game today, if, it will take place or when. We've decided to postpone and go to the game tomorrow ....suppose to be much better weather...in the 70's. I do know Bobby has named Glavine as the starter tomorrow instead of Smoltzie against Santana. I'm hoping with that move....it doesn't mean Smoltz has lingering problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rain held off and they got the game in. Another great outing by Hudson as the Braves laid it to the Mets 11-5. The turning point of the game was definetly Kelly Johnsons pintch-hit Grand Slam.

They also said during the game that Smoltz was still scheduled to go tomorrow.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The rain held off and they got the game in. Another great outing by Hudson as the Braves laid it to the Mets 11-5. The turning point of the game was definetly Kelly Johnsons pintch-hit Grand Slam.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was jumping off the sofa when Kelly launched it.

The AJC had that Glavine was going to start tomorrow but you heard Smoltzie on TV saying he asked Glav about switching around. Glad about that since we postponed going to the game until tomorrow.....it'll be Smoltz and Santana....I'm excited to see the match up. Of course, I'm hoping the Braves are blowing them away b/c it's hard if Wagner comes into a game against the Braves....I want to root for a fellow Tazewell Co. guy.....so, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

GO BRAVOS

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was jumping off the sofa when Kelly launched it.

The AJC had that Glavine was going to start tomorrow but you heard Smoltzie on TV saying he asked Glav about switching around. Glad about that since we postponed going to the game until tomorrow.....it'll be Smoltz and Santana....I'm excited to see the match up. Of course, I'm hoping the Braves are blowing them away b/c it's hard if Wagner comes into a game against the Braves....I want to root for a fellow Tazewell Co. guy.....so, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

GO BRAVOS

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I went down two years ago and watched a game with the Mets. Glavine started the game and Wagner closed the game. So that was pretty cool to see, all except the Braves lost.

Im planing to come down on May 7-8 to catch two with the Padres in town. The first night we are going to try the all you can eat/drink seats out (I hope they are worth it.) and the second day we are just going to get a couple of uperdeck seats for $12.

• 2 weeks later...

They're on a roll....two wins in a row.

As this area of the board has kinda slowed down...thought this won be a good read.

ajc.com > Sports > Braves

Red-hot Chipper leads Braves past Dodgers

Bennett puts together impressive outing

By DAVID O'BRIEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/18/08

He walked toward his locker slowly late Friday night, his ankles still taped from the game, attired in the T-shirt and four pairs of sliding shorts he wears under his uniform.

Chipper Jones didn't look like he wanted to spend much time being interviewed. Then he was asked about his second consecutive two-homer game, and the 35-year-old third baseman smiled like a kid and started talking.

"I wish I could express, or begin to illustrate to people, how awesome the last couple of nights have been," said Jones, whose two homers and four RBIs fueled a 6-1 series-opening victory against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Turner Field.

The home crowd of 38,250 was treated to a near-repeat performance by Jones from the night before in Florida, when he went 4-for-4 with two homers and a double to help John Smoltz and the Braves beat the Marlins 8-0.

He had three hits and four RBIs on Friday, including a three-run homer off Derek Lowe in the fifth inning to break open what had been a close game

That's six homers this season for Jones, who leads the major leagues with a .455 batting average and leads the National League with 18 RBIs.

He has 392 career homers, but this was only the second time he ever hit multiple homers in back-to-back games. He also did it in 2003.

"Just one of those crazy streaks you get on every two or three years," said Jones, who has hit .475 with five homers and 12 RBIs in a 10-game hitting streak. "Not only getting pitches to hit and not missing them, but doing ultimate damage."

In the past two nights, the previously listless Braves have outscored opponents 14-1 and outhit them 26-8.

Jones had seven hits, four homers, 20 total bases, seven RBI, and five runs in those two games, helping the weary and injury-riddled Braves to a pair of wins after dropping six of their first eight games on the just-completed road trip.

"He's going amazing right now," said Dodgers center fielder Andruw Jones of his longtime Braves teammate. "Everything he hits is right on the money."

Dodgers manager Joe Torre said, "We were certainly alerted that he was hot. But it was a situation where we couldn't do a whole lot about it."

Braves manager Bobby Cox was ask if he'd ever seen Jones, the 1999 National League MVP, quite this hot.

"I saw it in New York, like this," he said. "At Shea [stadium], when he was a Met-killer up there.

"His stroke is so pretty. Always has been."

The Braves have also had strong pitching for two nights. After John Smoltz and four relievers combined on a three-hit shutout Thursday, Jeff Bennett pitched 4 2/3 scoreless innings of two-hit ball in a spot-start Friday.

A few minutes after the Braves announced in the fifth inning Friday that starter Tom Glavine was going on the DL, Jones figuratively announced -- with his bat -- that he is a hitting machine. Just in case anyone wasn't aware.

Jones' three-run homer on a first-pitch sinker from Dodgers starter Derek Lowe opened a 5-0 lead.

"My preparation is paying off," Jones had said before the game, when asked about his season-opening surge, after a .337, 29-homer season in 2007. "Pretty much whatever I'm trying to do out there, against whatever pitcher, it's working -- a lot.

"Knowing the repertoire of pitchers, knowing what pitches I want to hit, goes a long way. The difference between an experienced hitter and a young hitter is being able to wait an entire at-bat to get the pitch you want to hit. And then having the confidence to know you're not going to miss it."

The Braves are 4-2 at home with a batting average over .310 and scoring average over seven runs per game. On the road they are 3-7 with a .252 average and barely four runs per game.

Bennett took a one-hit shutout to the fifth inning, when he gave up a two-out double by former Brave Rafael Furcal and a walk to Matt Kemp.

Left-hander Will Ohman entered to face lefty hitter Andre Ethier and struck him out to preserve the five-run lead.

[ QUOTE ]

I love my braves, but they need some pitching!

[/ QUOTE ]

I will say this, Bennett surprised me and probably many last night....he did what he was supposed to do...to bad he didn't get the win. Glavine going on the DL for the first time in his career....ouch, that hurt. Chucky will be pitching today....that should be an adventure. Also, the news is Moylan elbow is feeling better. Whew, can Braves fans endure this all year?????

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I love my braves, but they need some pitching!

[/ QUOTE ]

I will say this, Bennett surprised me and probably many last night....he did what he was supposed to do...to bad he didn't get the win. Glavine going on the DL for the first time in his career....ouch, that hurt. Chucky will be pitching today....that should be an adventure. Also, the news is Moylan elbow is feeling better. Whew, can Braves fans endure this all year?????

[/ QUOTE ]

We CANNOT afford to lose Moylan. At least not until we get Gonzalez back in June. Even then it would be nice to have a complete bullpen. I think the team needs to look at a new training program or something. We can not keep healthy pitchers!! Whats the deal?

[ QUOTE ]

I think the team needs to look at a new training program or something. We can not keep healthy pitchers!! Whats the deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might be on to something. Right now, Hampton, Glavine, Soriano, Moylan, and Gonzalez are all on the DL. James and Smoltz have already been on the DL this year. After yesterday's start, Bennett had a sore wrist. James left today's game with tightness in his left forearm. Hudson's last start was a nightmare and he lost about 10 mph of velocity. Something weird is going on and I don't like it.