Is Dale Earnhardt Jr. the most overrated sports figure?

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

BBA... i just want you to know you are my fire, my one desire...

our boy band would be like these guys...

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw that one coming, but I just had to click.

**Didnt mean to edit your post, I meant to click quote and clicked edit by mistake.

[ QUOTE ]

i disagree with the two soccer players...although they do not have the goals to show for it...Adu and Lampard have had stellar careers thus far..

[/ QUOTE ]

Freddy Adu was thrown into the MLS scene waaaaay too early so his "stellar career" really hasn't developed yet. Oh yeah. He hasn't done JACK at FC Porto yet and it's questionable if he ever will. Frank Lampard is THE SINGLE MOST overrated player in the world. The thing I hate about him most is he never EVER hustles to the ball. He doesn't for Chelsea or England. Every goal he scores is some clean up goal where he does none of the work, just gets the glory. For that he is grossly overpaid and overhyped. Also, he is completely incapable of running the midfield, which in essence is what he's paid to do. Central Midfield requires that person to take over games, not get lost in the shadows of the rest of the teammates. He needs to distribute the ball and hustle back to play defense, not stand around waiting for a chance to clean up a goal. Frank Lampard makes me sick.

[ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, I truly think that David Beckham is one of the most overrated, if not the most overrated soccer player in the world. If the defense can eliminate or even control their fouling deep in their own territory then Beckham is hardly a threat and an average midfielder at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree. Yes, he is WAAAY too hyped for how pretty he is, and his free kicks, while amazing, don't deserve the hype they receive. But watch a Galaxy game sometime. He has a great work ethic, understands the game, and distributes the ball better than most. Even as he gets older, he retains the ability to put the ball on a teammate's foot from 60 yards away. That is an amazing feat if I must say so myself. If you don't know the story of Beckham, he was a prodigy until the 98 world cup where he received a red card. England blamed their loss on him and him alone. From that point on, he has been bashed pretty hard by the British media, and we give more credit to what they have to say because, well, Becks is British. But I've always appreciated his work ethic on the field, and that makes him sooo much better than what Lampard could ever be.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, I truly think that David Beckham is one of the most overrated, if not the most overrated soccer player in the world. If the defense can eliminate or even control their fouling deep in their own territory then Beckham is hardly a threat and an average midfielder at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree. Yes, he is WAAAY too hyped for how pretty he is, and his free kicks, while amazing, don't deserve the hype they receive. But watch a Galaxy game sometime. He has a great work ethic, understands the game, and distributes the ball better than most. Even as he gets older, he retains the ability to put the ball on a teammate's foot from 60 yards away. That is an amazing feat if I must say so myself. If you don't know the story of Beckham, he was a prodigy until the 98 world cup where he received a red card. England blamed their loss on him and him alone. From that point on, he has been bashed pretty hard by the British media, and we give more credit to what they have to say because, well, Becks is British. But I've always appreciated his work ethic on the field, and that makes him sooo much better than what Lampard could ever be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see where you're coming from and I do respect your opinion. I didn't mean to make that post sound like David Beckham wasn't a great soccer player because I have a ton of respect for what he can do. I don't really follow the Premier leagues closely, so I don't know what they are doing so much individually but I am a very big fan of the national teams and it always bugs me that Beckham gets so much undeserved attention, really, and the rest of his team is kind of left alone in the dark. I think Steven Gerrard, Ashley Cole, Michael Owen, my personal favorite Wayne Rooney are all worthy of a little attention, along with almost all of the others. Stop being an underwear model, David, put your pants and boots back on, and give someone else a little time in the spotlight! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

...if you ever want to fall asleep on a Sunday afternoon just lay on your couch and turn on a NASCAR race...

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing worse is Women's basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously didn't watch the Tennessee/LSU game last night...one of the most exciting games I've ever watched.

A lot of people don't realize that Beckham is more of a creator and facilitator for his teammates, setting them up for goals and what not, rather than a player who scores a lot himself.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

...if you ever want to fall asleep on a Sunday afternoon just lay on your couch and turn on a NASCAR race...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously didn't watch the Tennessee/LSU game last night...one of the most exciting games I've ever watched.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I was watching it as I typed that message. zzzzzzzzz

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see where you're coming from and I do respect your opinion. I didn't mean to make that post sound like David Beckham wasn't a great soccer player because I have a ton of respect for what he can do. I don't really follow the Premier leagues closely, so I don't know what they are doing so much individually but I am a very big fan of the national teams and it always bugs me that Beckham gets so much undeserved attention, really, and the rest of his team is kind of left alone in the dark. I think Steven Gerrard, Ashley Cole, Michael Owen, my personal favorite Wayne Rooney are all worthy of a little attention, along with almost all of the others. Stop being an underwear model, David, put your pants and boots back on, and give someone else a little time in the spotlight! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I do follow the Barclays premiership and there are some great players in that league and it is some of the best soccer in the world. I wish I could watch AC Milan play more out of the Italian A Series.

My favorite current player in the world.....Gennaro Ivan Gattuso aka The Snarling Dog. Great defender, I of the best I've ever seen as a midfielder. Kaka is also on that team and any one that has seen him knows his foot skills are sick.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say that? Tennessee never led by more than seven and everytime they'd get a lead LSU would fight back and get within one or two until finally taking the lead with 7 seconds left. Then UT pushes it up the floor, misses a layup but scores on a putback with .7 seconds left. That was an instant classic...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a way to top off the day. Went to the Braves/Mutts game yesterday. Smoltz did his thing....Santana was not "untouchable" but he is good. Didn't see Santana get his hit off Smoltz...some guy few rows in front was proposing to his girl....and everybody was oohing and aahing. Leave that for between innings....don't disrupt my view. It was "sweet" though....aaaaahhhhhh.

Came home...got to see Stanford beat UConn. Maya Moore, the freshman phenom for UConn is from Gwinnett. Summitt and Geno were both aggressively pursing her....got a little dicey during that recruitment period. TN decided they would not play UConn in the regular season anymore.

Then topped it off with the Lady VOLS/LSU game....great game as Gman said.

Alum.....how can you not like Parker playing w/a dislocated shoulder...and going against a 6 ft.6" female? Talk about drama...and though it wasn't pretty at times...the game was not decided until there was .07 sec. on the clock. TN wins, TN wins, TN wins.

I, also, happen to like the first sub off the bench for TN....she has a great last name.

Sorry, nothing to say about Dale Jr...you may now return to the theme of the thread.

[ QUOTE ]

The Lady Vols led by 8, 19-11, and by ten 37-27. Great game, just couldn't pass up the opportunity to correct my good friend GMAN.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. But LSU closed the 19-11 margin to 22-18 at the half and actually had the lead at 25-24 with just under 17 minutes left before UT went on a 13-2 run to make it 37-27. LSU then scored 10 straight to tie it at 37 and then tied it again at 39 with six minutes left. UT took the lead and held it until only 7 seconds remained.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a way to top off the day. Went to the Braves/Mutts game yesterday. Smoltz did his thing....Santana was not "untouchable" but he is good. Didn't see Santana get his hit off Smoltz...some guy few rows in front was proposing to his girl....and everybody was oohing and aahing. Leave that for between innings....don't disrupt my view. It was "sweet" though....aaaaahhhhhh.

Came home...got to see Stanford beat UConn. Maya Moore, the freshman phenom for UConn is from Gwinnett. Summitt and Geno were both aggressively pursing her....got a little dicey during that recruitment period. TN decided they would not play UConn in the regular season anymore.

Then topped it off with the Lady VOLS/LSU game....great game as Gman said.

Alum.....how can you not like Parker playing w/a dislocated shoulder...and going against a 6 ft.6" female? Talk about drama...and though it wasn't pretty at times...the game was not decided until there was .07 sec. on the clock. TN wins, TN wins, TN wins.

I, also, happen to like the first sub off the bench for TN....she has a great last name.

Sorry, nothing to say about Dale Jr...you may now return to the theme of the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, Im sure that it was a great game. And it probably would have been exciting if I could have stayed awake through the first 30 minuted of play. I, myself, am not a huge Men's Basketball fan the way it is. Watching the women play is even worse. For the record, I also think NASCAR is boring.

Guest JJBrickface

I would pee my pants if I had to drive in a Nascar race.

Anyone that thinks that NASCAR involves no skill must not know much about the sport. You have to be able to control the car at over 180+ mph. Also a change in the air acroos the nose of your car can send you airborn and these guys know how to keep this from happening. You pretty much have to be raised watching NASCAR to get into it and truly understand it and respect it.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone that thinks that NASCAR involves no skill must not know much about the sport. You have to be able to control the car at over 180+ mph. Also a change in the air acroos the nose of your car can send you airborn and these guys know how to keep this from happening. You pretty much have to be raised watching NASCAR to get into it and truly understand it and respect it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are just ignoarant and fail to appreciate anything just because it isn't an interest to them.