state finals coming to Lane !!!

VHSLhelper

The VHSL approved Va. Tech as host of the Div. 5 & 6 state finals this year.

Now let's see ...

nearest finalist is prob. 4 hours away

gas prices $4 a gallon

double-headers also in Salem & Lynchburg

Beamer & the boys in Tampa (I hope)

I don't think parking will be a problem.

Living in Christiansburg, I was excited when I read the title of the thread...until I found out it was for Divisions 5 and 6.

Yes, this is a stupid idea....it would be great for A (or even AA depending on who's in it).

I see this as Reaganmonics. They drop the games in C-ville because it cost the VHSL too much to play there. So they go to Lane to save the money and make all those poor people drive 4+ hours to watch their teams play. Seems pretty simple to me.

um, no. the guys we want to go after, we'll have already gone after by that time, and the guys we want to see, we'll have come to our one-day camps. besides, it's not like beamer & co couldn't send somebody to wherever the game is played; they've been doing it for years, as it is.

Could be a big deal to a young player that would be recruited by tech down the road. This also presents the western side of the state to see some of the talent showcased at the highest level of AAA.

[ QUOTE ]

um, no. the guys we want to go after, we'll have already gone after by that time, and the guys we want to see, we'll have come to our one-day camps. besides, it's not like beamer & co couldn't send somebody to wherever the game is played; they've been doing it for years, as it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why couldn't it be helpful for recruiting? On their home field, could be treated as an unoffical visit, geez, easy recruiting at home. You can't just say ummmm no!

[ QUOTE ]

Why couldn't it be helpful for recruiting? On their home field, could be treated as an unoffical visit, geez, easy recruiting at home. You can't just say ummmm no!

[/ QUOTE ]

Because VT's coaching staff and team will be too busy participating in the ACC Championship game that weekend...

• 4 weeks later...

Why doesn't VA do what Kentucky does? Kentucky football teams have their final games at Papa John's Stadium at the University of Louisville. But then again, that may not be the best idea to have all the games at Tech as Virginia crowns 6 champions.

[ QUOTE ]

Why doesn't VA do what Kentucky does? Kentucky football teams have their final games at Papa John's Stadium at the University of Louisville.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would we want to have our games at U of L?

Guest JJBrickface

There is a big difference between playing 6 games on a grass field and 6 games on a turf field.

We do like NC does... Sat double-headers.

KY has 2 Fri. DAY games, which means those 4 schools basically shut down that day AND the pizza box is pretty empty since some people in KY actually work (J/K !!!!!).

as someone quite familiar with vt recruiting and vt's recruiting practices, i can quite confidently say "um no". did i say it wouldn't be beneficial whatsoever? i did not. i said it won't be big for us, and it won't be.

consider this--for years, there have been state championship games at scott stadium. how has that positively affected uva's in-state recruiting? i'll answer that one for you: it hasn't. vt pulls in va's top guys quite consistently already. and, seeing as (obviously) only two teams play for a title, most of va's top guys aren't usually in a state title game.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Why doesn't VA do what Kentucky does? Kentucky football teams have their final games at Papa John's Stadium at the University of Louisville.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Read my post carefully. Near the end I referred to having them at tech.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Read my post carefully. Near the end I referred to having them at tech.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a joke.