James Monroe Mavericks

MavsRock

Well, got to see'm practice yesterday.

Overall we looked alright. John Ballengee took probably 95% of the snaps, so barring something unexpected, that's 1 questions answered. As far as our passing game, we've got some work to do, but I've certainly seen alot worse, we're miles ahead of where we were this time last year.

As the running game goes, the big ? as expected is the O-line. Depending on how quickly these guys learn, this has the potential to be a very good offense.

On defense, the D-backs should be good, but the front 7 is very green. Nick Keisel and Lee Triplett started has year at OLB/DE, and will return some experience, but like the offense, the linemen have little experience.

One major loss has been DJ Robinson. Due to circumstances beyond his control, he will likely be at Beckley. Didn't know DJ personaly, but know some friends of his, seems like a good young man. DJ, we'll miss, God bless, and best of wishes for you.

As far as the team, Wayne will be a big challenge, if we win that one, I'll be feeling pretty good.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Not trying to discredit anything you say, but the few former players I have talked to seem to think that JM is down this year a whole lot...

I know the line is one of their main concerns as well as yours, but they didnt seem to think another Wheeling run was in the cards right now...

We will be down from last year,but I don't believe a whole lot. You don't lose your entire offensive line that had started for three years and pick up where you left off. As the season goes on I think we will be alright and be a playoff team.We might not make it to Wheeling but we won't be an easy win for anyone.I remember last year after our scrimmages people were telling me it was going to be a long year and we made it to Wheeling.So you just never know how it's going to play out. We had 63 kids out so the future looks pretty good. Win or lose football is back and thats all that matters.Looking forward to the Wayne game. I know we will have our hands full that night!

.....I remember last year after our scrimmages people were telling me it was going to be a long year and we made it to Wheeling.So you just never know how it's going to play out....!

I left James Monroe's season opener against Narrows last season saying it was going to be a long, rough year. If someone would've told me that night that a trip to Wheeling would come at the end of the season, I would've told them they were crazy.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

What kind of plays are you all running since the coaching changes?

Im sure some of you have seen the scrimmages and Im curious...

Haven't seen them this year, but from what I''ve heard, they're going to be running a good bit out of the spread. Given Jackson's coaching history, I would imagine he will use a ton of formations throughout the game though.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I heard that they lost today too... The rumor is true.

But we still have to remember, scrimmages are scrimmages and to not put too much emphasis on them.

Wayne will be a true test for this football team...

i attended the scrimmage of shady and jm and the scrimmage was dominated by shady 12-0 which blew me away and its not that shady is that good in my eyes after seeing jm for 2 quarters in a scrimmage which means nothing ,i dont see them making the playoffs.. but its just a scrimmage and i could be totally wrong i think they shouldve stuck with the single wing...

i attended the scrimmage of shady and jm and the scrimmage was dominated by shady 12-0 which blew me away and its not that shady is that good in my eyes after seeing jm for 2 quarters in a scrimmage which means nothing ,i dont see them making the playoffs.. but its just a scrimmage and i could be totally wrong i think they shouldve stuck with the single wing...

Outside of Bluefield and Wayne there isn't a team on James Monroe's schedule that will challenge them. They'll make the playoffs. And as soon as he can I'm sure that Cupcake Jackson will be dropping Bluefield and Wayne...

I'm pretty sure the Wayne game was just a one year deal anyway. Maybe Pioneer could clear that up, I could be wrong. I truly hope that they don't drop Bluefield, and I don't think they will, but I've been wrong before.

I'm not so sure that this years schedule won't prove to be more challenging for JM than you think Rules, I think we're really going to struggle early on with the offensive and defensive lines, and the transition to the new(old) offense is going to take some time.

I could see JM having real trouble with G. East, Wyoming East, Scott, and possibly even Oak Hill if they don't mature along the line quickly. I don't think they have much of a chance against Wayne in week 1. And I can only hope that they improve enough to give Bluefield a game at the end of the year.

This should be an interesting year in Lindside.

I'm pretty sure the Wayne game was just a one year deal anyway. Maybe Pioneer could clear that up, I could be wrong. I truly hope that they don't drop Bluefield, and I don't think they will, but I've been wrong before.

I'm not so sure that this years schedule won't prove to be more challenging for JM than you think Rules, I think we're really going to struggle early on with the offensive and defensive lines, and the transition to the new(old) offense is going to take some time.

I could see JM having real trouble with G. East, Wyoming East, Scott, and possibly even Oak Hill if they don't mature along the line quickly. I don't think they have much of a chance against Wayne in week 1. And I can only hope that they improve enough to give Bluefield a game at the end of the year.

This should be an interesting year in Lindside.

I guess only time will tell and you obviously know more about them than I do being down that way. I just don't see G. East, Scott, or Oak Hill giving them a tough time at this point. Wyoming East, maybe b/c of their passing attack. Then again, if the reports of you guys struggling so much with Shady being true then anything is possible.

Regardless, it's good to see back on the boards posting again. It has been awhile and your rational insight was definitely missed. You're the Buzzsawbeaver of James Monroe fans on this board, and that's obviously a very big compliment.

As far as James monroe goes i agree that both lines have to pull it together or they will struggle winning alot of games. cuz Shady lived in the backfield and tore off 8 to 10 yd gains on a consistent basis .. And shady hit a cpl long pass plays out of a 5 wr set.. Whats scary is now that Shady's has dropped bluefield and James monroe to convert to the cupcake sheduale as well they could compete for a 15 or 16 seed playoff berth.. And they are mediocre at very best cuz bluefield would beat them 60 or 70 to zip... as would wayne..

James Monroe-Wayne is a one year deal. From my understanding though, Wayne would like for the Mavericks to return the trip in 2009.

Don't count on it with their old coach returning to the helm...Creampuff Co. High School will replace Wayne on the schedule next season...

What kind of plays are you all running since the coaching changes?

Im sure some of you have seen the scrimmages and Im curious...

I didn't make it to any of the scrimmages, but we're running several different formations, Shotgun-spread, Wing-T, Strait-T, Pro-set. In the practice I pretty much saw everything but the wishbone and the single wing.

As far as the scrimmage, alot of people were saying the Jackson wasn't going to open up the offense very much there since he figured we'd be heavily scouted. If they lost to Shady, that is a cause for concern, but it was just a scrimmage, and Shady may have a good team, I don't know.

We've still got 2 weeks to get it together, looking forward to playing Wayne, alot of questions will be answered that evening I'm sure.

I hope the line matures and settles in quickly. Loosing so many starting linemen to graduation last year is a concern.

That and the linbackers. Zach Mann and Daniel Pritt are going to be tough to replace.