Is holston the real deal?

vols4life

you know,why is it wytheville is bigger than marion and has a bigger ego problem.if you say anything about the ROCKY MAROONS your fans get bent out of shape.it's the same story.but once again this is a HOLSTON thread.if you wanna down marion start your own thread.but i'm seeing why we don't play gw..on that note i will not respond or say anymore on the gw,marion issuse.

Hey bud, do you really think it is the GW fans who are "bent out of shape" on this thread? I certainly am not downing Marion. I just have an issue with fans who spout off things like GW is bigger than Marion without knowing the truth. Don't be so defensive. Be proud of your team, but make sure you know what you are talking about if you want any respect on this board.

My opinion on Holston is that they do have a good D1 team. Just like Chilhowie though, they traditionally play weaker teams at the beginning of their schedule and then reality hits when the back end of their schedule comes around. GW used to do this until they sat home on a 9-1 record, then someone woke up and started scheduling tougher non district games for points. I was glad to see GW start going over to Bluefield to scrimmage some very strong programs. I think this type scheduling sets a program apart from others who choose to play their non district games with teams of a lower division just for a better record.

Dude, GW is an easy team for all of us to hate on. They're successful. For years, people wanted them to go back to AA, but now that enrollment numbers are easy access, it's easy to see - they just plain itty bitty like everyone else in the Hogo.

GW would smack Marion in the mouth - in anything. For the last 3 or 4 years, Chilhowie considers GW a bigger rival than Marion. I hate that. I wish the Marion/Chilhowie rivalry was what it was back in the day - but it just isn't. It still has a bit of stank on it but for the most part, Chilhowie would rather go 1-9 and beat GW than to go 9-1 and lose to Marion.

(Note: Some analogies may be exaggerated for the purpose of making a point)

Marion and GW scrimmaged back in the early 2000's when Marion had some successful years. Personally, I'd love for the two teams to play and it count. The size of the schools and proximity would probably have a pretty decent turnout.

And to make this post "Holston thread worthy": The Cavs are the real deal on a D1 level and will probably make it to the Reg C finals. Depending on how EastMont and Bath fare the rest of the year, they have a good shot at winning it. But Clintwood would smear them in the semis if they were fortunate enough to get that far. Which personally, I'd like to see it happen- the Cavs have worked hard to get the program up. They deserve a decent playoff run.

Sorry, I hate to disagree with ya there. When you say they would smack Marion in the mouth on anything you better look at what you are talking about. I`m not so sure they would beat Marion this year or last in football. They definately could beat us in basketball the last several years but that is about all I would give them. Marion has beat them in soccer. I`m sure Marion would win in golf and the Lady Canes volleyball team would beat George Wythe. I know this is a football thread but when you say garbage like GW would win in anything then you have no clue what you are saying.

Edited by HurricaneWarning

Sorry, I hate to disagree with ya there. When you say they would smack Marion in the mouth on anything you better look at what you are talking about. I`m not so sure they would beat Marion this year or last in football. They definately could beat us in basketball the last several years but that is about all I would give them. Marion has beat them in soccer. I`m sure Marion would win in golf and the Lady Canes volleyball team would destroy George Wythe. I know this is a football thread but when you say garbage like GW would win in anything then you have no clue what you are saying.

Given that GW has almost half the enrollment of Marion, I'm not sure that is much to brag about. I know that you were just responding to another post, but you may should have let that one go. GW did beat Marion pretty badly in baseball last year, but that is because Marion had a very young team.

Sorry, I hate to disagree with ya there. When you say they would smack Marion in the mouth on anything you better look at what you are talking about. I`m not so sure they would beat Marion this year or last in football. They definately could beat us in basketball the last several years but that is about all I would give them. Marion has beat them in soccer. I`m sure Marion would win in golf and the Lady Canes volleyball team would beat George Wythe. I know this is a football thread but when you say garbage like GW would win in anything then you have no clue what you are saying.

Haha, I told you I exaggerated a little. I see what you're saying though, and no disrespect to Marion at all, I think you have highly competitive programs around the board- just GW, for their size, is typically a head above any Washington or Smyth County team you put against them. I realize there are some exceptions.

We actually split soccer this year. Lol....first time in awhile.

gw has somehow always kept enrollment down but somehow their town is bigger and more population than marion?i just am confused..other teams in the past have done the samething.as far as bragging..i think someone said.."fort chiswell will be a good tune up for gw"..last i checked fort chiswell had improved..never take a team to lightly.or throw your helmet.lol..i think tazwell knows what i mean..

gw has somehow always kept enrollment down but somehow their town is bigger and more population than marion?i just am confused..other teams in the past have done the samething.as far as bragging..i think someone said.."fort chiswell will be a good tune up for gw"..last i checked fort chiswell had improved..never take a team to lightly.or throw your helmet.lol..i think tazwell knows what i mean..

I am not sure what the person meant who said that Fort Chiswell would be a good tune up game, but in my eyes it means that FC will give GW a challange. Historically, FC has lost to GW by 50+ points and was never considered anything but a chance to get someone hurt. FC has improved over the past years somewhat and with the added incentive of beating a county rival, anything could happen. GW doesn't need to be taking any team lightly. For some reason I do expect them to give a more well rounded performance against Floyd.

I meant not as a tune up as far as winning by a lot or things like that, I meant it that they will be a good game for us to get use to what we will see in the HOGO. I know FC is good this year, if we don't watch out, we could be 0-5 by the time district play comes around.