Bluefields new basketball coach will be?

the_truth

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Havens was hired as the Dean Of Students at Princeton High last night, and they have told him that he had to give up the coaching job at Bluefield. As posted earlier that was what the meeting with the players was about.

The Board really Screwed up in not Hiring Tony webster last year // He was definately the most capable of the candidates and would have been in it for the long haul. Havens did a decent job but with the talent that was there he shoulda brought one home... Hey last year is over tho' and I pray that they choose a quality BASKETBALL Coach... Our Kids deserve nothing less and if they dont get it then I see the program declining even further......Let's pray that iot doesnt happen this way.

And the talent is back there again this year at Bluefield. The 9th grade and JV teams of the past two seasons have dominated their oponents and even though they are lacking a true big man figure, the Beavers could still compete very highly. With Craig Ponder, Deron Reed, Marcus Patterson, RJ Wilson, Jake Lilly and the possible return of Kyle Harris, along with Byron Steptoe stepping up to the varsity level, the talent and uptempo game speed potential will be there...they will just need a coach who can handle it.

Screw it...give me the job...I'll take those race horses to Charleston and bring back a trophy..."32 minutes of Hell"...full court, full time...

"Coach G-Man, what type of offense do you plan to run???"

"An in-your-face defense..."

Richardson: 40 minutes of hell

MATT HOCH

Issue date: 1/11/00 Section: Sports

In the initial practices after Nolan Richardson took over the coaching job at the University of Arkansas in 1986, his new up-tempo style of play confused his players. They were used to the slow style adopted by previous coach Eddie Sutton.

Walk-on Scott Rose was the first to strike up the courage to ask Richardson about the tough new drills being forced upon the team.

"Coach, is this what we do prior to practice?" Rose cautiously asked.

"Yep, 40 minutes of it," Richardson authoritatively responded.

Rose then looked up at him and said, "Coach, that's 40 minutes of hell."

The term has stuck ever since.

What started out as a way to describe the beginning of Richardson's practices evolved into a game term dealing with the intense defense displayed by the Razorbacks throughout the '90s.

"The first 40 minutes is actually hell because that's how many minutes we play," Richardson said. "I took over a team that walked the ball up the floor and did the things Eddie Sutton coached. It was a shock when I brought my system in."

The first 40 minutes of a Razorbacks practice consist of drills that simulate game speed in the span of 94 feet and are not for the faint of heart.

"You do everything," Richardson said. "We do figure eights with the medicine ball, figure eights with the water ball, jump rope, run five laps around the gym, then turn around and run five in the opposite direction, then do windsprints. I determine how many I want to give you."

Guest BEAVERTAIL
. Havens did a decent job but with the talent that was there he shoulda brought one home...

Ravenswod was the better team as well as Wyoming East.

Bluefield did well to get where they were and played one of their best games in the semifinals but it just wasnt enough...

Especially when you factor in those officials up there saw Bluefield foul Ravenswood 32 times and only saw one foul from Ravenswood... my nephew was a starter on that team and came home with some permanent fingernail marks on his arms back and neck... needless to say he was fortunate enough to get to the charity stripe...anyways... these guys will have to find it in theirselves to overcome whatever is going on with coaches and officials and just tackle the task at hand....does anybody think that Fred S. would consider taking the job?????.. Now that would be interesting because he does have basketball experience and would surely have 'em ready to play....

Todd Baker, former BHS star, and principal at an elementary school in Virginia will be the new head coach.............book it!

Todd would be great as the Beavers head coach! Hope this happens...

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Todd would be an excellent choice, but isn't he a white boy?

What?