Question

the_truth

There are two egg cartons. These are standard egg cartons which hold twelve eggs. One of the egg cartons contains twelve eggs. The other egg carton contains six eggs. What part of the egg cartons is full?

A. 3/4 B. 2/3 C. 1 1/2 D. 1/2

There are two egg cartons. These are standard egg cartons which hold twelve eggs. One of the egg cartons contains twelve eggs. The other egg carton contains six eggs. What part of the egg cartons is full?

A. 3/4 B. 2/3 C. 1 1/2 D. 1/2

Since you've written "egg cartons", the would contain 18 of a possible 24 eggs...so the answer is 3/4 of the egg cartons are full...

For years I was in agreement with you guys thinking 3/4 was the answer. The trouble was it was on a standardized test and 3/4 was not listed as an answer. The only answer that made sense to me was 1 and 1/2 but that was how many egg cartons were full not what part. Then last year it finally hit me. The correct answer is 1/2. There are two egg cartons there and 1 of them is full, so by the rule of probablility 1 out of 2 is 1/2 of them are full.

For years I was in agreement with you guys thinking 3/4 was the answer. The trouble was it was on a standardized test and 3/4 was not listed as an answer. The only answer that made sense to me was 1 and 1/2 but that was how many egg cartons were full not what part. Then last year it finally hit me. The correct answer is 1/2. There are two egg cartons there and 1 of them is full, so by the rule of probablility 1 out of 2 is 1/2 of them are full.

Ah, you and your trick questions! ;)