Foster to Clemson???

vthokies4life

In this article, Tucker inquires about the potential of Bud going to Clemson. I wish we could have gotten a "No. Not a chance" from Bud, rather than what we did hear. But obviously, as of now, it's all speculation. Let's hope it stays that way.

http://hamptonroads.com/blogs/kyle-tucker

Greetings, Hokies. Apparently, summer isn’t quite done here in Blacksburg, where it has been about 80 degrees and sunny the last few days. Not complaining. Not one bit. It’s beautiful here.

One potential worry for the Hokies, though, is that the current forecast for game time in Boston Saturday night calls for temps between 40 and 50 degrees. Tech hasn’t practiced in much cold so far this fall. It’s a small thing … but small things sometimes become big factors in football.

I’m sure, however, you didn’t come here for a weather update, right? You’d probably prefer to know, instead, whether defensive coordinator Bud Foster is interested in/excited by the potential head-coaching vacancy at Clemson after this season.

Well … here’s what Bud told some of us hacks after tonight’s practice.

“That’s something I don’t even want to talk about right now. I’m focused right now on Boston College. I mean, you could answer that for me. But right now, all I’m focused on is Boston College … that’s all I can care about. We’ll take care of everything else as it comes along.â€

You know reporters, though. We’re a curious (and persistent) bunch. So I pushed a tad harder. What would you do, Bud, if Clemson called tomorrow and said they wanted you?

“I’d be stupid†not to go, Foster said. “That’s what you guys have all asked me for the last five years, six years. Who wouldn’t be (interested)? ... That’d be one I’d be jumping through hoops to try to get. But at the same time, right now I can’t worry about that. All I can worry about is what I can control, and that’s trying to put the best defense on the field here.â€

So there you have it. If Clemson comes calling after this season … Hokie Nation’s nightmare scenario would likely commence. That said, the Tigers’ gig is a high-profile position and they can attract any number of qualified candidates – many of them with previous head-coaching experience.

Purely a guess here, but I’m thinking Clemson, after all the disappointment with Tommy Bowden, will want to go for a “name†hire. And the trend, for the most part, lately has been to hire offensive gurus for head-coaching gigs.

So maybe this one’s not for Bud. Maybe it is. Who the heck knows at this point. Nothing, I’d guess, will be done until after the season. But even if Foster doesn’t get the Tigers’ job … keep in mind that whoever does get it will likely leave behind an opening elsewhere. And maybe that’s when Tech fans can truly freak out. For now, it’s all just speculation.

Bud deserves a HC opportunity. I was all about it when his name came up for WVU. It shows now that it would have been a good idea. Anyway, Defense and special teams has been the trademark of Hokie football. I really think that Bud gets the Clemson job, but there are many offensive minds out there that would also deserve it. Who knows. I'd like to see Foster get it and Chip Kelly or Locksley go to WVU, but doubt it. Besides if Bud goes, then my in laws can't go out by his house on claytor lake.

Bud deserves a HC opportunity. I was all about it when his name came up for WVU. It shows now that it would have been a good idea. Anyway, Defense and special teams has been the trademark of Hokie football. I really think that Bud gets the Clemson job, but there are many offensive minds out there that would also deserve it. Who knows. I'd like to see Foster get it and Chip Kelly or Locksley go to WVU, but doubt it. Besides if Bud goes, then my in laws can't go out by his house on claytor lake.

May I chair this "Bud Foster for Clemson Head Coach" committee? :D

Can I go ahead and veto even the thought of a committee like that??? Hahaha. But Tony Barnhart from the Atlanta Journal Constitution makes a good point saying that Clemson will probably look at Bobby Johnson from Vandy first. Johnson is a Clemson grad, has the ability to handle his teams well, and make them play practically mistake-free. That is incredibly evident simply by looking at Vanderbilt's football program over the past couple of years. He also utilizes the players available to him and is offensive-minded. That sounds exactly like what Clemson needs.

No! Observer, you should be putting your defense law tactics into practice only to lobby for the one and only "Al Groh to Clemson" committee. But, of course, I can't quite decide if I wouldn't rather have Bud Foster running the show in Blacksburg instead of Vince Lombardi, himself, burning it up in Charlottesville... :D

Can I go ahead and veto even the thought of a committee like that??? Hahaha. But Tony Barnhart from the Atlanta Journal Constitution makes a good point saying that Clemson will probably look at Bobby Johnson from Vandy first. Johnson is a Clemson grad, has the ability to handle his teams well, and make them play practically mistake-free. That is incredibly evident simply by looking at Vanderbilt's football program over the past couple of years. He also utilizes the players available to him and is offensive-minded. That sounds exactly like what Clemson needs.

I agree with this analysis, but I do have one concern with Bobby Johnson. Clemson's backbone for years has been solid recruiting. Just how well can Johnson recruit? Sure, I'm sure we'd see an upswing when Johnson wins with Bowden's cast. But after that initial period, can he sustain the recruiting level that Bowden has? I have some doubts: it's a whole different world recruiting at Clemson than Vandy.

No! Observer, you should be putting your defense law tactics into practice only to lobby for the one and only "Al Groh to Clemson" committee. But, of course, I can't quite decide if I wouldn't rather have Bud Foster running the show in Blacksburg instead of Vince Lombardi, himself, burning it up in Charlottesville... :D

I've already signed onto the "Al Groh to PERMANENT RETIREMENT" committee. ;)

I agree with this analysis, but I do have one concern with Bobby Johnson. Clemson's backbone for years has been solid recruiting. Just how well can Johnson recruit? Sure, I'm sure we'd see an upswing when Johnson wins with Bowden's cast. But after that initial period, can he sustain the recruiting level that Bowden has? I have some doubts: it's a whole different world recruiting at Clemson than Vandy.

Good point, but he's had some experience recruiting South Carolina being the former coach at Furman. Yeah, it was a 1-AA school, but he knows the ropes so to speak of the state that has produced some pretty good players in recent years, starting with A.J. Green, Georgia's amazing receiver. Also, his stint at Furman was pretty successful, taking the Paladins from a 2-6 conference record in 1994 to a 7-1 record and a showing in the 2001 1-AA championship game (where they lost to Montana... I actually remember watching a little bit of that game. Weird.). I think that shows that he's able to bring in players suitable to the program he is at.

But of course even talking about Johnson depends on the job Dabo Swinney does as the interim head coach.

Good point, but he's had some experience recruiting South Carolina being the former coach at Furman. Yeah, it was a 1-AA school, but he knows the ropes so to speak of the state that has produced some pretty good players in recent years, starting with A.J. Green, Georgia's amazing receiver. Also, his stint at Furman was pretty successful, taking the Paladins from a 2-6 conference record in 1994 to a 7-1 record and a showing in the 2001 1-AA championship game (where they lost to Montana... I actually remember watching a little bit of that game. Weird.). I think that shows that he's able to bring in players suitable to the program he is at.

But of course even talking about Johnson depends on the job Dabo Swinney does as the interim head coach.

He'd really have to fire up those old SC contacts. He'd also be recruiting a different type of player than he would've been at Furman. 4-5* guys rather than 1-2* guys. He should be able to do well, but it'll be interesting to see how much rope Clemson would give him.

Again, if Swinney doesn't turn them around. I see them either closing out this season VERY strongly or else spiraling out of control.

Listened couple days ago to a local sports talk program (ATL)....and one of the guys said he was up covering Clemson in pre-season and some of the "coaching assistants" were complaining that the "academia" heads at Clemson were wanting a program w/more "Duke like" players. The sports talk folks said the Vanderbilt coach would fit that mold b/c of the "standards" at Vandy with Johnson being able to turn it into a winning program.

Their one concern was his age .....59, I believe; but, felt him being a Clemson grad would play in his favor. The sports folks were also giving demoted QB Harper down the road for his comments about "him" deserving what he got( many felt he was meaning Bowden). (Harper is a local kid from the ATL area, in fact coached in HS by Richlands grad, Sid Maxwell.) Harper's Dad even got in some words that didn't endear him to these sports guys. Harper, the QB, later said he was talking about the asst. coach that was named as the coach for the rest of the year....hmmmmm I'd call that "damage control" .

Edited by trublue

Listened couple days ago to a local sports talk program (ATL)....and one of the guys said he was up covering Clemson in pre-season and some of the "coaching assistants" were complaining that the "academia" heads at Clemson were wanting a program w/more "Duke like" players. The sports talk folks said the Vanderbilt coach would fit that mold b/c of the "standards" at Vandy with Johnson being able to turn it into a winning program.

Their one concern was his age .....59, I believe; but, felt him being a Clemson grad would play in his favor. The sports folks were also giving demoted QB Harper down the road for his comments about "him" deserving what he got( many felt he was meaning Bowden). (Harper is a local kid from the ATL area, in fact coached in HS by Richlands grad, Sid Maxwell.) Harper's Dad even got in some words that didn't endear him to these sports guys. Harper, the QB, later said he was talking about the asst. coach that was named as the coach for the rest of the year....hmmmmm I'd call that "damage control" .

Haha, damage control indeed!

Man, what a mess they've got themselves into down at Clemson...