Palin Claims The Vice President Is ‘In Charge Of The U.S. Senate’

BigBlueAlum

Yesterday, Gov. Sarah Palin (R-AK) sat for an interview with KUSA, an NBC affiliate in Colorado. In response to a question sent to the network by a third grader at a local elementary school about what the Vice President does, Palin erroneously argued that the Vice President is “in charge of the United States Senate“:

Q: Brandon Garcia wants to know, “What does the Vice President do?â€

PALIN: That’s something that Piper would ask me! … [T]hey’re in charge of the U.S. Senate so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom.

Indeed, while Palin suggests that questions about what the Vice President does is something only her daughter Piper would ask, Palin herself asked this very question on national television in July. Apparently, she still hasn’t learned the correct answer.

Article I of the Constitution establishes an exceptionally limited role for the Vice President — giving the office holder a vote only when the Senate is “equally dividedâ€:

The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no vote, unless they be equally divided.

Moreover, the U.S. Senate website explains that the modern role of Vice Presidents has been to preside over the Senate “only on ceremonial occasions.†ThinkProgress contacted Senior Assistant Paliamentarian Peter Robinson, who also disputed Palin’s characterization of the Vice President’s role:

In modern practice the Vice President doesn’t really control the Senate. … If anyone has a responsibility to try to govern the Senate, it’s the responsibility of the two leaders.

Yesterday, Gov. Sarah Palin (R-AK) sat for an interview with KUSA, an NBC affiliate in Colorado. In response to a question sent to the network by a third grader at a local elementary school about what the Vice President does, Palin erroneously argued that the Vice President is “in charge of the United States Senate“:

Q: Brandon Garcia wants to know, “What does the Vice President do?â€

PALIN: That’s something that Piper would ask me! … [T]hey’re in charge of the U.S. Senate so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom.

Indeed, while Palin suggests that questions about what the Vice President does is something only her daughter Piper would ask, Palin herself asked this very question on national television in July. Apparently, she still hasn’t learned the correct answer.

Article I of the Constitution establishes an exceptionally limited role for the Vice President — giving the office holder a vote only when the Senate is “equally dividedâ€:

The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no vote, unless they be equally divided.

Moreover, the U.S. Senate website explains that the modern role of Vice Presidents has been to preside over the Senate “only on ceremonial occasions.†ThinkProgress contacted Senior Assistant Paliamentarian Peter Robinson, who also disputed Palin’s characterization of the Vice President’s role:

In modern practice the Vice President doesn’t really control the Senate. … If anyone has a responsibility to try to govern the Senate, it’s the responsibility of the two leaders.

Maybe she would try to take a more active role...what the heck else would the vp have to do?...Also, according to these criteria...Cheyney has been doing a horrible job as being "in charge" of the senate....because they have sucked as of late.

Let's all just hope and pray that this global recession doesn't get any worse or we'll all be standing in cheese lines soon.

Maybe she would try to take a more active role...what the heck else would the vp have to do?...Also, according to these criteria...Cheyney has been doing a horrible job as being "in charge" of the senate....because they have sucked as of late.

Let's all just hope and pray that this global recession doesn't get any worse or we'll all be standing in cheese lines soon.

amen futbolking lol

Q: Brandon Garcia wants to know, “What does the Vice President do?”

Article I of the Constitution establishes an exceptionally limited role for the Vice President — giving the office holder a vote only when the Senate is “equally divided”:

Moreover, the U.S. Senate website explains that the modern role of Vice Presidents has been to preside over the Senate “only on ceremonial occasions.” ThinkProgress contacted Senior Assistant Paliamentarian Peter Robinson, who also disputed Palin’s characterization of the Vice President’s role:

Is this an article? Some BIG flaws here. I'll try to tease them out.

Basically, YES, the vice-president presides over the United States Senate. That's what Palin meant by "taking charge". Else, my Constitutional Law class that I'm pay $1125/CREDIT for has failed me. She wants to work closely with the Senators to implement policy changes. She never said one word in this article about voting on those changes, and this author tries to insert the assumption that this is what she meant.

If this is an article, it's poor journalism at its finest. There's no "erroneous assumption" there, only oodles of liberal spin. The only "erroneous assumption" is the lack of understanding both regarding the United States Constitution and regarding the inner workings of Congress.

Edited by UVAObserver

Basically, YES, the vice-president presides over the United States Senate. That's what Palin meant by "taking charge". Else, my Constitutional Law class that I'm pay $1125/CREDIT for has failed me. She wants to work closely with the Senators to implement policy changes. She never said one word in this article about voting on those changes, and this author tries to insert the assumption that this is what she meant.

If this is an article, it's poor journalism at its finest. There's no "erroneous assumption" there, only oodles of liberal spin. The only "erroneous assumption" is the lack of understanding both regarding the United States Constitution and regarding the inner workings of Congress.

What he said...

Just another case of the liberal media trying to find "something" on Palin...

What he said...

Just another case of the liberal media trying to find "something" on Palin...

The spin put forth during this year's election is ridiculous on both sides. Fortunately, we have an educated public who knows the difference between spin and reality....wait a minute...maybe we don't.

The spin put forth during this year's election is ridiculous on both sides. Fortunately, we have an educated public who knows the difference between spin and reality....wait a minute...maybe we don't.

Too many times has it been shown that the average American has trouble passing the history and civics questions found on the citizenship test that those not born here have to pass to become American citizens. Which is a shame.

Lets see how you do:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blinstst.htm

Man, you beat Beavertail to it. This one was for him. lol

Guest waverider24

I wish Palin woulda ran with out McCain she gets all the horney guys to vote for her. and since america has more men than women she'd definintly win every state but California

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Man, you beat Beavertail to it. This one was for him. lol

I've been hunting all day, to no avail, so I just got on... But I dont mind passing them off to UVA once and awhile! lol

I wish Palin woulda ran with out McCain she gets all the horney guys to vote for her. and since america has more men than women she'd definintly win every state but California

Actually there are only about 97 men for every 100 women in America. So there are more women than men in America.

Source