Carroll 41 vs. Graham 6

BCRAM55

I believe that the biggest issue is with Marrs. Kids do not want to play for him. There are some kids in the school that could certainly help.

Here's my perception on Marrs' inability to be successful. Marrs coached under one of the greatest coaches in VHSL history. He had to have learned some things in his time under this legend, but the one thing that he failed to attain was the understanding that when you tear a kid down mentally you have to be able to say the right things that help them get back up with more confidence than when they went down. I did not play for Coach C but what I knew of the man was that he had a true and genuine care for all of his players. He may have cussed and ranted things that made the devil blush but at the end he normally always had a kind word of encouragement that boosted the moral of his players.

Some guys I know played for him and, even though some say they will always wear the tobacco freckles that he spewed on them, they all have the greatest level of respect for him.

Marrs watched the ranting part but missed the nurturing piece. I have played ball and understand that it takes “Hard†men to play and “Harder†men to coach. But all great coaches know that you build a team by building players with confidence.

There’s also the little part about unfortunately following a legend.

This is where we disagree. I have played for a few coaches in which I could not stand. If these kids love football as much as they say they do, they should stick with it. Just because you have a bad coach (not saying Marrs is bad, he has done some good since he took over) or you have a losing season or whatever you should not just give up. I have played on 3 consecutive teams for soccer that have had losing seasons. Am I forgetting the game I love just because of the coach or the team? NO. These kids should play football while they can no matter what the outcome is. They need to cherish their time on the field whether it be practice or games. Go out and play hard every down and every second no matter what. If you love the game, you will truly stick with it. I don't know any of the names of those that have quit, but if it is because of a losing season or differences with the coach then they truly don't love the game that much. I don't understand what's wrong with these students. They should play to play. No matter who the coach is or what the season is like. It's completely ridiculous of all of you to put the blame on Coach Marrs.

Keep in mind that your opinion is based on the memories that you have of the game and the desire to never want it to end. I agree that kids should play for the simple reason of playing, but ,as posted earlier, kids have changed. Attitudes differ from 10 years ago(or longer). Perhaps in a few years the G-Men players now will have the same opinion as you.

Coach Marrs (and his staff) know football, what he lacks is the ability to inspire kids. Kids feel defeated after the season that the G-Men have had. Expectations from the players and the coaches were higher. Kids responded to Coach Carlock's rants because he was highly respected (an understatement really). I assure you that they do not respond to Marrs'. He is in a difficult situation, butsome of it reflects his own attitude.

Keep in mind that your opinion is based on the memories that you have of the game and the desire to never want it to end. I agree that kids should play for the simple reason of playing, but ,as posted earlier, kids have changed. Attitudes differ from 10 years ago(or longer). Perhaps in a few years the G-Men players now will have the same opinion as you.

Coach Marrs (and his staff) know football, what he lacks is the ability to inspire kids. Kids feel defeated after the season that the G-Men have had. Expectations from the players and the coaches were higher. Kids responded to Coach Carlock's rants because he was highly respected (an understatement really). I assure you that they do not respond to Marrs'. He is in a difficult situation, butsome of it reflects his own attitude.

I understand where you are coming from. And I am just now only a sophomore in college. I have went from being on the first EVER soccer team from Graham with a losing record. To a team that didn't win a single game at University of Charleston my first year of college. To a team that only won 2 games this year at Bluefield College. The love of the game is there and it shouldn't have to be put into the kids with inspiration. If you love the game enough, that is all the inspiration you need to play.

Is this Coach Marrs fault?

i havent been keeping up with football much this year,except for reading the paper sat. mornings or here.i havent been to a hs game since the 2nd qrtr of the graham vs richlands game when i got a call about my mom being ill.she passed away oct. 19th.but i dont know who is at fault,we (graham fans) were sure we had a good team this year.very good players,an experienced line,more speed than last year.and we win 4 games.something is very wrong at Graham and until its fixed,you will not see the G-Men winning another SWD championship for a very very long time.is Marrs at fault? you will have to be the judge on that.as for me i think we had a way better team than our record shows.i look at it this way,if you take the fun out of football then why PLAY.god bless everyone