south charleston @ bluefield

buzzsawBeaver

Not to look past Scott...b/c I think it will be a good game the second time around...but from what I have heard about Wayne, the Bluefield/Wayne match up would be a great game! In that bottom half of the bracket...if Magnolia and Grafton are in that mix...should make an interesting bracket. Gonna be an exciting playoff in AA!

Either way, I see Bluefield advancing to the second round and a matchup with Wayne...

G, you know I'm superstitious and I will ask THAT YOU NOT SAY THAT!!!!!

Therick sent me a text in the first quarter last night saying Bluefield will win by 20 and I told him that he just blew the game for Bluefield!!

anyhow congrats to south charleston on their undefeated season and a strong showing and to bluefield on finishing their season strong and earning the playoffs.

Bluefield's d has become a lot stronger, and their passing o is as I thought, difficult for any team in wv to stop overall. Interceptions in the the game weren't unreasonable in my opinion considering the skill of south charleston's secondary and height advantage, bluefield did well to pass for 300 yards. Bluefield's o would have been considerably more effective had the qb been able to tuck the ball and go as he was able to do earlier in the season.

armchair qb in me says the way sc was playing bluefield's recievers close and biting on the ball, a pump and go would have been very effective a few times, perhaps for a big play, and then backed them off some maybe.

A fleaflicker would be an exceptional play for bluefield to use at some point in a big game to in my opinion, curl pattern to wassum and pitch to patterson.

The last time bluefield was in a common situation was '02 when bluefield finished 6 - 4 and traveled from the start to webster county, james monroe, wayne then wheeling. Keyser was a play away from being in wheeling that season in the other brackett and if I had to guess they have a strong opportunity to advance to the title game in their brackett this time around.

Bluefield will have 1 tough game after another in their brackett starting with scott who in my opinion shouldn't be overlooked, you can't count on any turnovers from their team this game, certainly not 10 or 11 as they had in the last game against bluefield.. They moved the ball well on the ground against bluefield overall to, and weather and their field could be a factor as well, bluefield will have to focus on this game and this game only.

Congrats to players, coaches and all who support bluefield and good fortune and safe travels..

Edited by buzzsawBeaver

armchair qb in me says the way sc was playing bluefield's recievers close and biting on the ball, a pump and go would have been very effective a few times, perhaps for a big play, and then backed them off some maybe.

A fleaflicker would be an exceptional play for bluefield to use at some point in a big game to in my opinion, curl pattern to wassum and pitch to patterson.

The middle of the field was wide open all night but Cole kept getting "radar lock" on the outside receivers who were being defended by CBs who had a huge height advantage on Bluefield's receivers...three picks...

Had Bluefield continued to pick the middle apart like they did on the first drive of the second half, but went away from it for some reason, they had a good chance of pulling the game out...

Guest BEAVERTAIL
The middle of the field was wide open all night but Cole kept getting "radar lock" on the outside receivers who were being defended by CBs who had a huge height advantage on Bluefield's receivers...three picks...

Had Bluefield continued to pick the middle apart like they did on the first drive of the second half, but went away from it for some reason, they had a good chance of pulling the game out...

I felt like often Bluefield was running routes with 3 receivers on the same level. Not much overall depth in the passing game and routes.

Obviously, Cole wasnt on his A game tonight, but you have to wonder if he was having trouble seeing over those big lineman for the shorter routes.

I was waiting the hole game to have Wassum sent deep. He is 6'2 and would have had a better chance of getting the ball against the taller SC defenders. Sending Beckett (5'11) and Patterson (5'10) for the deep balls against the corners and safeties who were clearly taller didn't seem to make much sense.

It was a great game to watch. It's going to be really tough for a AA team to knock them off.

One of the things that I think hurt Bluefield in the passing game a little last night is that the receivers were not running their routes as precisely as they needed to. When you're playing against a secondary as fast and athletic as SC was, you can't round off your routes, and the Bluefield receivers were guilty of that quite a bit. That being said, they are obviously not going to play another team with this athletic of a defense, so it may not be a problem the rest of the way.

The only real question mark I've got with Bluefield is how well will they do in adverse weather situations? If they get good weather all the way through, I could definitely see them at least getting to Wheeling, and quite possibly winning there as well.

It was a great game to watch. It's going to be really tough for a AA team to knock them off.

One of the things that I think hurt Bluefield in the passing game a little last night is that the receivers were not running their routes as precisely as they needed to. When you're playing against a secondary as fast and athletic as SC was, you can't round off your routes, and the Bluefield receivers were guilty of that quite a bit. That being said, they are obviously not going to play another team with this athletic of a defense, so it may not be a problem the rest of the way.

The only real question mark I've got with Bluefield is how well will they do in adverse weather situations? If they get good weather all the way through, I could definitely see them at least getting to Wheeling, and quite possibly winning there as well.

We will find out this week it looks like. A chance of rain from Wednesday through game time.

I don't really think a sloppy field will be enough for Scott to upset Bluefield, I was thinking a little farther down the line. But anything is possible.

Maybe not, but it will certainly make the game a lot more interesting than it would be otherwise.

I'm sure that many of you have heard by now that SC trashed the locker room at Mitchell Stadium. Trash everywhere, holes in the wall and busted electrical receptacles. Nice, classy way for the #1 team in AAA to behave!!! Hopefully the city will recover their losses for having to redo it considering they just gutted it and totally remodeled it this FALL!!!! I would LOVE to know where the *@ the coaches were when all of that went on!!!!!!!!

Still...302 Yards passing...Wassum 122 yards receiving! Beckett 118 yards receiving!

...Over 1000 yards passing in the past three games (is that right??...if not, I know its close to that) Wassum is one heck of a receiver! And I think some teams doubt Beckett's speed...

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

Rushing — South Charleston, Dylan Turner 11-58, Aaron Slusher 11-54, Tyler Harris 8-19, Wayne Wurster 1-4, Amari Smith 5-0, Tevin Spurlock 1-0, Team 1-(minus 1), Marcel Brown 2-(minus 3). Bluefield, Jake Lilly 12-38, Marcus Patterson 2-(minus 4), Will Cole 2-(minus 10).

Passing — South Charleston, Tyler Harris 3-8-0 102, Marcel Brown 4-5-0 83. Bluefield, Will Cole 23-47-3 302.

Receiving — South Charleston, Aaron Dobson 4-154, Thomas Peden 1-23, Dylan Turner 1-5, Tevin Spurlock 1-3. Bluefield, Cody Wassum 9-122, Levi Beckett 8-118, Marcus Patterson 5-44, Jake Lilly 1-18.