In the end...

Lance

Things played out exactly as I told you they would.

-Obama carried VA.

-It wasn't even close.

My opinion on why is simple...McCain ran a negative campaign at a time when the majority of Americans needed something positive. People are fed up with negativity...and it was done so to the point of desperation.

McCain is a very likeable guy...he would have been better served to play a positive roll and left all the "Maverick" BS at the door.

In the end he surrounded himself with a group of people who gave him bad advice...and it cost him.

yeah Va was close I agree, I said he would walk in to the white house...was talking about the overall election which wasn't even close...should have made that more clear.

I like McCain, and he showed a lot of class last night in his concession speech. His biggest problem was Sarah Palin. She was a star figure with the base, but beyond that, she killed his chances. Obama showed a lot of class as well. I think despite what people say, he will lead more from the center than the far left. He will also restore our tarnished reputation in the world. We all need to pull together , and put this country back together.

Haha, no problem.

But take away New York and CA, and it's much closer.

But that's 86 electoral votes.

Oh well.

thats like saying take away two TD's and the game would be closer....duh.

LOL

Haha, no problem.

But take away New York and CA, and it's much closer.

But that's 86 electoral votes.

Oh well.

Why would you take those states away? lol While we are at it take away Texas, then it is even more lopsided. Besides, even without CA and NY Obama still has 278 to McCain's 260. Closer, but still no cigar.

Edited by BigBlueAlum

Why would you take those states away? lol While we are at it take away Texas, then it is even more lopsided. Besides, even without CA and NY Obama still has 278 to McCain's 260. Closer, but still no cigar.

I take those states away just to show how close it would be were those two states not included. But they are, of course, because they have the nation's two largest populations. Nothing sinister in my approach at all.

I take those states away just to show how close it would be were those two states not included. But they are, of course, because they have the nation's two largest populations. Nothing sinister in my approach at all.

That's like saying "well if you take away the points from the 1st quarter we still lost, but the game would be closer"...????

what's the point? LOL

That's like saying "well if you take away the points from the 1st quarter we still lost, but the game would be closer"...????

what's the point? LOL

The point is that CA and NY are probably the two single most liberal states in the country and will always be blue on the electoral map, just as Texas is almost a given state every election for the Republicans. It's just a trend I don't think UVAObserver is looking for any excuses or trying to make a point other than the GOP is at a disadvantage when it comes to NY and CA, much like the Dems and TX. Some things will never change, and I don't see those two instances changing for a very long time, if ever.

I knew what you meant by it. I was just bustin' your balls.

-Obama carried VA.

-It wasn't even close.

My opinion on why is simple...McCain ran a negative campaign at a time when the majority of Americans needed something positive. People are fed up with negativity...and it was done so to the point of desperation.

McCain is a very likeable guy...he would have been better served to play a positive roll and left all the "Maverick" BS at the door.

In the end he surrounded himself with a group of people who gave him bad advice...and it cost him.

I supported McCain, and I thought it would be much closer than it actually was. Lance, you have made a good point. I probably wouldn't have agreed with you had McCain won, but it looks like the American people, especially America's youth, are sick and tired of all the negative. Honestly, I'm tired of it too. Elizabeth Dole has been in office in NC for a long time, and, probably because of her "Godless" accusation toward her opponent, Kay Hagan, she was soundly defeated. I pray President elect Obama is able to make a positive mark on the country immediately. I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach, and try my best not to criticize too early. The American people have spoken, and the new administration deserves a chance to lead this country. I will be in prayer for our nation.

Great post blueinBama. I like to see the opposition giving the man a chance just as those of us on the winning side now had to do in 2000. Give him a chance and if you still think McCain was the better choice by 2011, I'm sure many others, democrats alike, will agree.

It's absurd to me that people are saying "Well, he won't be my president." It's called a democracy for a reason and it only lasts 4 years at the minimum.. lets see what he can do before you pack up and move to Canada.

As for the negativity, I agree. I think it is a big reason people veered away from McCain. I think McCain would be a decent president and I would have voted for him in 2004 if he had received the Republican ticket.

The point is that CA and NY are probably the two single most liberal states in the country and will always be blue on the electoral map, just as Texas is almost a given state every election for the Republicans. It's just a trend I don't think UVAObserver is looking for any excuses or trying to make a point other than the GOP is at a disadvantage when it comes to NY and CA, much like the Dems and TX. Some things will never change, and I don't see those two instances changing for a very long time, if ever.

Thanks, bud!

What I couldn't articulate as well in a pretty succinct form. Much appreciated!

I supported McCain, and I thought it would be much closer than it actually was. Lance, you have made a good point. I probably wouldn't have agreed with you had McCain won, but it looks like the American people, especially America's youth, are sick and tired of all the negative. Honestly, I'm tired of it too. Elizabeth Dole has been in office in NC for a long time, and, probably because of her "Godless" accusation toward her opponent, Kay Hagan, she was soundly defeated. I pray President elect Obama is able to make a positive mark on the country immediately. I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach, and try my best not to criticize too early. The American people have spoken, and the new administration deserves a chance to lead this country. I will be in prayer for our nation.

yeah...give the guy a chance...

he's starting out deep in the hole and needs all the support he can get...he seems to be surrounding himself with a group of heavy hitters...let's get things straight and we can argue over politics later.

-Obama carried VA.

-It wasn't even close.

He hired the same people for his campaign that ran George W. Bush's campaign in 2000, which attacked McCain personally and was fueled by negativity. You either learn from others' mistakes or you become a victim yourself.