VHS Coach Let go

Boo77

Corney you are right Cwood does have alot better program but VAHI has the money so any coach would be interstead.

Scammell doesn't need the money..............he won the lottery years ago and owns property in Grundy and Abingdon. Heck, he could probably buy a football team and coach it if he wanted to. Are the Volunteers for sale?

One thing is certain Matlock is not interested. He has a chance at winning state this year and if not, this year, we do next year for sure. No chance would he leave here.

You are right...Holston and 15 other teams have a chance at winning state, but you have to get through your region, then get through Burton or Clintwood (which won't happen) and then probably beat William Campbell (which will kill every team in REgion C and D by 30-100 points). Hey, but good luck with that. If Matlock is smart, he will ride his success at Holston to bigger and better places.

Holston when you all dont win friday please dont get redneck because everyone knows you all havent played anyone. You all are not prepared to play the bigdogs and thats the bottom line because wahwah said so.

Holston when you all dont win friday please dont get redneck because everyone knows you all havent played anyone. You all are not prepared to play the bigdogs and thats the bottom line because wahwah said so.

Old WahWah has been in the corn squeezins again

guys, Matlock has just happened upon Holston at a good time. he's very young, no track record. They are in a good run of athletes, happens at Holston about every 15 years. He's done a respectable job with them, but geesh, he's not yet in the top 50% of the coaches in SWVA. that's not to say that he won't ever be, but a couple of good years doesn't automatically make you a good coach.

guys, Matlock has just happened upon Holston at a good time. he's very young, no track record. They are in a good run of athletes, happens at Holston about every 15 years. He's done a respectable job with them, but geesh, he's not yet in the top 50% of the coaches in SWVA. that's not to say that he won't ever be, but a couple of good years doesn't automatically make you a good coach.

That is a darn good thought.....which coaches are in the top 50%?

Are you discounting what he has done? He took a 1-9 team that graduated arguably the fastest kid in the state, not a lot of coaches were knocking the doors down for that job. Then he took a group of players and made them a team! Being from Abingdon, I know Holston has always has talent. By basically saying that whoever they hired for the job could have done it takes away from the great job that he has done. Also, I believe that he is building a track record. I hear people say on here all the time that it takes coaches a couple of years to turn things around with new systems, he did it immediately with a new system. Also, I've seen what he does off the field for his players while he was at Abingdon, and hear it is the same at Holston, and regardless of his record that makes him a good coach, and I would rank him in the top 50% in SWVA for sure!!!

Are you discounting what he has done? He took a 1-9 team that graduated arguably the fastest kid in the state, not a lot of coaches were knocking the doors down for that job. Then he took a group of players and made them a team! Being from Abingdon, I know Holston has always has talent. By basically saying that whoever they hired for the job could have done it takes away from the great job that he has done. Also, I believe that he is building a track record. I hear people say on here all the time that it takes coaches a couple of years to turn things around with new systems, he did it immediately with a new system. Also, I've seen what he does off the field for his players while he was at Abingdon, and hear it is the same at Holston, and regardless of his record that makes him a good coach, and I would rank him in the top 50% in SWVA for sure!!!

Great Post! In addition to this, he is positive with his players and they respond. The previous coach was constantly negative and showed favoritism. They didn't respond. Coach Matlock has been upbeat and positive; it has made all the difference. His players would go through a wall for him and so would I!

Saunders would be logical choice. He has turned bad programs into good ones. Would be hard for him to leave where he is. They are going to be really good next yr . Young this yr and done well. Would hate to see him leave valley

Great Post! I agree! Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! I would never sit here and say that he hasn't done a great job. He has by all means! There are a lot of people on here that do not realize that he has an assistant coach that has been a successful head coach for several years, not to mention that he has coached on the college level. I am just curious to see what all you people will say when the wins stop or he can't make it out of the first round of the playoffs. Might want to hold your opinions until after Friday. I think that you will get more than you bargained for from East Mont.

Edited by falconfan1

I only know of one thing that was controversial about Saunders and when the old super left Wise they asked him to come back to Wise. I know he is very happy here at Valley. He has done things here at Valley that no one before him could do and he does not have much help.There is no controversy here and he has done none. We do not want him to leave and we think he will stay.

It has been posted on the CMD board that Saunders has requested interview for the VHS job. This from a supposed friend of his to hook him up with AD at Virginia High School. All kinds of rumors flying in down in Bristol.

Some posters and Friend of Saunders keep yaking about it. Some one posted the VA HIGH has not posted the job yet. If he is having success at his present school with good teams for future why would he want to leave?