CU looking for a change

fieldgeneral

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took Seton Hill three years to win the conference, U of Charleston was competative in three years. Whomever takes over needs some time, and local support to be successful. The new coach needs to BRING IN AS MANY LOCAL PLAYERS FROM THE TWO VIRGINIAS AS POSSIBLE. When Coach Broyles called the offense I believe they won 4 or 5 titles, and as a QB there he was part of 2 or 3 more. Coach Colobro of GC would have instant credability on his resume. Not to mention his father is a legend in Southern West Virginia football. Coach Simon another good cadidate.

It took Seton Hill three years to win the conference, U of Charleston was competative in three years.

Its a lot easier to recruit kids to Charleston, WV and Greensburg, PA, 30 miles from Pittsburgh, than it is to get them to Athens, WV, 30 miles from nowhere...

• 2 weeks later...

i saw in the BDT today they had over 120 applicants for the coaching position!! thats crazy

I've got some oceanfront property in Pocahontas Co. I'd like to sell too...:eek:

I've got some oceanfront property in Pocahontas Co. I'd like to sell too...:eek:

why is that so hard to believe? Just about any high school coach has aspirations to become a college coach. Some only want it for the experience to move on to bigger and better things and there may be some who would make this their final stop. I'm sure there have been 120 applicants. I really don't see why this is that much of a shocker. I'm sure there are a few of them with no shot in hell to get it, that just put in for it for the heck of it.

Its a lot easier to recruit kids to Charleston, WV and Greensburg, PA, 30 miles from Pittsburgh, than it is to get them to Athens, WV, 30 miles from nowhere...

Concord doesn't use as many schollies for athletics as some of it's conference rivals do. Concord is more on their academics than sports. While that may change under the new pres., it's not that way currently. Concord has gotten players from as far away as L.A. . This past season had two players from there on their rosters. They have had them from Hawaii. They can get players there, they need someone to coach them.

I know WVU and Concord are completely different in many ways, but if you can pull a kid away from SoCal and Florida from other good programs to come to Morgantown, you can do it in Athens. A lot of kids are just looking for a chance to play, a free education, or a change of scenery. Concord is a long way away from the days of Colobro, but they can get back.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Concord doesn't use as many schollies for athletics as some of it's conference rivals do. Concord is more on their academics than sports. While that may change under the new pres., it's not that way currently. Concord has gotten players from as far away as L.A. . This past season had two players from there on their rosters. They have had them from Hawaii. They can get players there, they need someone to coach them.

I know WVU and Concord are completely different in many ways, but if you can pull a kid away from SoCal and Florida from other good programs to come to Morgantown, you can do it in Athens. A lot of kids are just looking for a chance to play, a free education, or a change of scenery. Concord is a long way away from the days of Colobro, but they can get back.

Very true, but so very wrong.

I had an "athlete" who played RB for a Florida team in a freshman English class last year. A lot of us got a chance to read our essays at the beginning of the year about ourselves. The highlight of his story, was that he played behind some D1 back that went to Alabama. The kid saw less than 20 carries a his senior year, sat the bench for most of the games, but yet Concord signs him. Why? Cause he is from Florida and it looks good on paper.

Newsflash: Concord sucks where it matters, the field. Concord is 1-21 in the last 2 years, and has won 10 games in the past decade, including a 5 game winning season. (Thanks Gman lol)

Thats the case for many of their athletes. They may be from big cities and great HS programs, but they dont even play. And when they get here, they dont deserve to play. but yet they do...

completely agree, if a kid is coming from Florida or California to play at Concord, it's because no school from there to Athens wanted him. A better analogy would be to look at big schools that are in talent rich states (Florida, Ohio St, Penn St). Granted, Concord is not in a d-1 talent rich area, but I do think they are in a d-2 talent rich area, just recruit in a 100 mile radius from Athens, and they should be able to get quality atheltes at every position. I know several kids that are paying an arm and a leg to go to emory or ferrum when they could be paying less to go to concord (and technically play in a higher division).

Very true, but so very wrong.

Newsflash: Concord sucks where it matters, the field. Concord is 1-21 in the last 2 years, and has won 10 games in the past decade, including a 5 game winning season. (Thanks Gman lol)

Thats the case for many of their athletes. They may be from big cities and great HS programs, but they dont even play. And when they get here, they dont deserve to play. but yet they do...

I will admit, Concord does have some guys that definitely do not deserve to play, they also have guys that dont play a single down that are much better than the ones on the field every down.

I do not think we should blame a poor record on soley the team. Poor coaching can aid to a losing season also. I think if Concord could get a decent coach in there then they could turn the program around tremendously. They need someone in there thats not going to play a kid just because he is from Florida or California. There are some local kids that are VERY talented that could be just as good with the proper coaching.

I will admit, Concord does have some guys that definitely do not deserve to play, they also have guys that dont play a single down that are much better than the ones on the field every down.

I do not think we should blame a poor record on soley the team. Poor coaching can aid to a losing season also. I think if Concord could get a decent coach in there then they could turn the program around tremendously. They need someone in there thats not going to play a kid just because he is from Florida or California. There are some local kids that are VERY talented that could be just as good with the proper coaching.

I'm not familiar with the situation, but this is good, universally-true speak.

120 applicants? The economy must be far worse than I thought. I'm sure CU will pay less than the greeter at your local Wal-Mart. You would have to be a gambler to put in an application, just in hope that you could turn it around and climb the ladder of coaching success = $$$$.

Th new President at Concord is a no nonsense type of guy so whoever the coach will be, they will have to be pretty darn good. The Pres wants the school to be well noted for not only their academics but for their athletics as well.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

There are 3 finalists, and they had a Q&A for the students to come and listen to each one each day. Im trying to get names as we speak. All the football guys know very little, and have to go to the meetings as well...

I think having an open forum with the students is just dumb. Let the administration strictly do the hiring. In no way should I have an infuence on who is the coach, nor woud I want to. As much as I think I know about football, I dont know a HC from another when it comes from schools I dont get a chance to watch regulary. And I stay pretty informed, and I know the people who complain about the coaching do not...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I have seen 2 of the 3 candidates, neither are Bluefield Alums...

Th new President at Concord is a no nonsense type of guy so whoever the coach will be, they will have to be pretty darn good. The Pres wants the school to be well noted for not only their academics but for their athletics as well.

is not a very smart guy. He actually terminated someone there the other day that has put Concord on the top as an academic institution and he is going to ruin it asap. The things he has done in the last two months.....two specific incidences has shown me...an alum that he is not interested inthe academic well being.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
is not a very smart guy. He actually terminated someone there the other day that has put Concord on the top as an academic institution and he is going to ruin it asap. The things he has done in the last two months.....two specific incidences has shown me...an alum that he is not interested inthe academic well being.

Really? Who?

Im not trying to be an jerk, I really want to know cause its my school too...

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Beavertail I heard two of the three were the OC from Coastal Carolina and the OC from California Pa.

I knew the one yesterday was from CC, and today the one I looked like he was from not around here at all lol.

I asked a teacher who has to evaluate the coaches, and she said she couldnt give me the names until the meetings today and tomorrow. Seems to me, much ado about nothing. The football players dont even seem to care. Oh well... the drama continues...

I knew the one yesterday was from CC, and today the one I looked like he was from not around here at all lol.

I asked a teacher who has to evaluate the coaches, and she said she couldnt give me the names until the meetings today and tomorrow. Seems to me, much ado about nothing. The football players dont even seem to care. Oh well... the drama continues...

The players really dont care and thats sad to say. If you find out who was terminated let me know, im curious. Im a Concord College (Not CU, lol) Alum also. The OC from Coastal Carolina would be a nice fit for the job. Coastal Carolina has been pretty successful over the past few years.

Concord has received a new coach. His name is Ralph Isernia, he was the OC at University of Charleston. They had a pretty decent year. They have contended for the conference for the past 2 years I believe.