I want a non bias view of wvu's offense

wvuraiders

I am a die hard and I need someone who does not like wvu to think for me if they have watched any of wvu's games....What are your opinions of the offense they are running and what do you think of the play calling...Please someone who is not a wvu fan...I think wvu's fans ( including myself are not thinking clearly).

In watching the game last night I felt as if White wasn't taking advantage of times when he could have ran and instead was forcing passes. On the series in which they turned the ball over on downs inside the 5-yardline White had two opportunities to have easily ran for a touchdown, but instead forced passes. I can understand wanting to establish a passing game to keep defenses honest, but when the game is on the line do what you do best, run the freakin' ball and get the TD.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

Well i am a huge WVU fan but i went and watched the game back and here is a stat for ya. WVU had 26 first downs from 4 mins to go in the first qtr thru the rest of the game. Only 6 were called running plays. With 20 called pass plays. Texas Tech ran the ball more times on first down last night than WVU did. I knew there was a big difference from pass to run but didn't realize it was that bad till after i watched it back. When you pass the ball that many times on first down your consistently starting behind the chains every series. It's hard for a run based offense to get into rhythm doing that. Mullen is an idiot and plz Stew I am beggin you get rid of him.

In the end it boils down to this, WVU's current team is built to run a Rich Rodiquez offensive scheme, not the offense they're attempting to run this year. When they have ran the ball this season, in the games I've watched at least, the runs have been straight runs with very little mystery. Adding to the problem is the fact that WVU's offensive line hasn't played very well either.

Guest JJBrickface
We returned all our O-line starters too, So I didnt think that would have been a problem...

It is absolutely the problem. There have been a few questionable play calls but if you can't win the battle on the line then you aren't going to be successful. A lot more of those passing play calls would have worked has Pat White had more time.

WVU wanting to pass the ball more is hurting them. Not having a truly proven receiver hurts. Sure, Gonzalez had a huge td catch in the Fiesta Bowl but that has been it for his career. They should stick to trying to be run heavy.

He also caught a TD pass the year before in the Gator Bowl against GT, but he hasnt done much of anything

Alric Arnett and Dorrell Jalloh have stepped up bigtime for us this season, both catching huge TD's in clutch situations this season...

Jock Sanders has been doing a good job as well. About as well as I figured he'd do...

I am a big fan as well, but I agree with the replys to this point. Pat White isn't the PW of old. Before this year, he has looked for a hole to run through first. Now, he hesitates the run and looks through all his checks first before running. This is causing him to get sacked more and getting taken down from behind. RUN THE DAMN OPTION! Let PW be who he is. He isn't a passing QB. He can pass when needed. The offense is being pushed to do things that they aren't trained to do. Mullen has tried to change too much too quick. I hope Stew realizes that Beatty should be in charge of the "O".

Guest JJBrickface
I am a big fan as well, but I agree with the replys to this point. Pat White isn't the PW of old. Before this year, he has looked for a hole to run through first. Now, he hesitates the run and looks through all his checks first before running. This is causing him to get sacked more and getting taken down from behind. RUN THE DAMN OPTION! Let PW be who he is. He isn't a passing QB. He can pass when needed. The offense is being pushed to do things that they aren't trained to do. Mullen has tried to change too much too quick. I hope Stew realizes that Beatty should be in charge of the "O".

Why should Beatty be in charge?

Guest JJBrickface
Somebody needs to. Its obvious that Mullen can't.

Honestly Mullens play calling is very similar to Rich Rods. There have been some calls that I really didn't like but like I said before it all comes down to the offensive line. If they open up a hole for the backs or give Pat time to pass it then all of a sudden Mullen is a great play caller.

I went to the WVU Cincinatti game and honestly, I couldn't believe that it was 20-7 in the 4th quarter. WVU moved the ball fairly well, but failed to do so when it really counted. I think the main problem is their strategy of calling plays when they do, such as hitting the running game then going deep, or when the passing game is moving throw in a draw. It was as if the offensive coordinator didn't know what the hell he was doing, like he had never seen a defense like that before.

From an unbiased spectator.

From what I hear they did mount a good rally at the end. Too bad myself along with the WVU fans weren't there to frickin see it. Bummer.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Beatty has been an O coordinator before, Mullen hasn't.

One year at Hampton is nothing to brag about.