WVU slips past Elon

wvuraiders

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt say we "slipped" past them. But it was a very good preformance by our young players. Ebanks had a good game, darrell "truck" bryant had several nice 3's... Ruoff had a really good game, Mazulla got into foul trouble but did a decent job and looked like he has improved alot since last year...

at least we are confident in our bball coach and know he will be successful

I chastized a Tennessee poster earlier in the week about Phil Fulmer. Huggy Bear scrapes the bottom of the barrel. In fact, I'm not sure I should mention Huggins in the same sentence as barrels. Doesn't mean he's not a good coach (he is), but still.

I chastized a Tennessee poster earlier in the week about Phil Fulmer. Huggy Bear scrapes the bottom of the barrel. In fact, I'm not sure I should mention Huggins in the same sentence as barrels. Doesn't mean he's not a good coach (he is), but still.

When that problem comes up at WVU, then we will talk about it. But until then lets not talk about what has happened in the past... Who knows? Maybe he turned over a new leaf

The freshman he brought in looks like they are good guys on and off the field, only time will tell...

Guest JJBrickface
Mazulla got into foul trouble? What happened to him being kicked off the team for getting arrested after resisting at a Pittsburgh Pirates game?

When did Coach Huggins say he was going to kick Mazulla off the team? I'd really like to know.

When that problem comes up at WVU, then we will talk about it. But until then lets not talk about what has happened in the past... Who knows? Maybe he turned over a new leaf

The freshman he brought in looks like they are good guys on and off the field, only time will tell...

Huggins will never turn over a new leaf. Weasels are weasels are weasels.

Guest JJBrickface
Huggins will never turn over a new leaf. Weasels are weasels are weasels.

Give me proof that huggins is a weasel?

Give me proof that huggins is a weasel?

1. Cincinnati was notorious for having a 0% graduation rate when Huggins was there. This happened MULTIPLE times.

2. Huggins was arrested for drunk driving after visiting a recruit: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1820078. Funny story, too.

3. Huggins got Cincinnati placed on NCAA probation in 1998, mainly for having the academic standards of DeVry.

4. Hired an assistant coach hand-picked by Michael Beasley in order to land him. Players dictating the coaches moves, that is.

5. Bolted from Manhattan after 1 season. Shades of Rich Rod, anyone?

These are just the examples it took me 5 minutes to find. Come on, bro.

Edited by UVAObserver

1. Cincinnati was notorious for having a 0% graduation rate when Huggins was there. This happened MULTIPLE times.

2. Huggins was arrested for drunk driving after visiting a recruit: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1820078. Funny story, too.

These are just the examples it took me 2 minutes to find.

Good gosh, Observer! You're such a hater! Stop telling the truth. ;)

Guest JJBrickface

3. Huggins got Cincinnati placed on NCAA probation in 1998, mainly for having the academic standards of DeVry.

4. Hired an assistant coach hand-picked by Michael Beasley in order to land him. Players dictating the coaches moves, that is.

5. Bolted from Manhattan after 1 season. Shades of Rich Rod, anyone?

These are just the examples it took me 5 minutes to find. Come on, bro.

Ok Bro. Your "proof" isn't all that accurate.

1. I knew you would use the gradution rate first. However if you understood the system then you would know that if school gets a transfer then the school does not get credit, if a player transfers from the school then once again they don't get credit. Also If a player graduates on down the road then they don't get credit. Bob Huggins has sent many players to the NBA and many have come back and got their degree. Read Corey Blounts story.

2. There is no excuse for driving under the influence, its something I'm strongly against.

3. Read 1.

4. Its not a player dictating the coaches moves. Its the coach and KSU administration getting the #1 prospect in a fair, legal way. It does not violate NCAA rules.

5. Bob Huggins had it in his contract with KSU that if the WVU job opened up then he would take it. Shades of RR? Did bob Huggins refuse to pay his bailout? Huggins knew this was going to be his last chance to coach at his alma mater and he took it. You cant even compare the RR situation to him. Keep reaching.

Ok Bro. Your "proof" isn't all that accurate.

1. I knew you would use the gradution rate first. However if you understood the system then you would know that if school gets a transfer then the school does not get credit, if a player transfers from the school then once again they don't get credit. Also If a player graduates on down the road then they don't get credit. Bob Huggins has sent many players to the NBA and many have come back and got their degree. Read Corey Blounts story.

2. There is no excuse for driving under the influence, its something I'm strongly against.

3. Read 1.

4. Its not a player dictating the coaches moves. Its the coach and KSU administration getting the #1 prospect in a fair, legal way. It does not violate NCAA rules.

5. Bob Huggins had it in his contract with KSU that if the WVU job opened up then he would take it. Shades of RR? Did bob Huggins refuse to pay his bailout? Huggins knew this was going to be his last chance to coach at his alma mater and he took it. You cant even compare the RR situation to him. Keep reaching.

Keep reaching for what? More evidence that Huggins is a scumbag??

Drunk driving ALONE is enough. But if you insist on continuing...

How come, under this graduation rate same system that "isn't all that accurate", that UVA has a 100% graduation rate, and has done so in 2 of the 3 years since the Gillen Era ended? You have to TRY to get to be as bad as him. The man was on NCAA Probation, for goodness sakes. Not every Tom, Dick, and Harry is "that good".

Yes, shades of Rich Rod. Settling down at a school, creating a ton of media hype, then bolting at the next good offer that comes along. A blind man could see this resemblance. You commit to a school, you stay at that school until your contract's up or they fire you/you resign at the end of it. And believe you me, the next good offer at a traditional basketball power Huggy gets, he's gone. He's as fickle as the wind since leaving Cincinnati, bud.

Man, this is as blatant a case of the "player dictating the coach's moves" as it gets. "Sign my assistant coach, or I'm not coming here"? Open thine eyes. I never said it was against NCAA rules, and that's clear. But it's a pathetic representation of Huggins' character. Do whatever it takes to land the 5-star blue-chipper, even if it means appearing as spineless as a jellyfish.

Huggins is the second-biggest piece of slime that's in college basketball today. The first is John Calipari, and I don't have to bring up 5 reasons for him...

Edited by UVAObserver

Guest JJBrickface

Once again you are looking past the fact that Huggins has had many JUCO players and early NBA entries.

You also look past that KSU was well aware that if the WVU job came open that Huggins would take it if offered. Once again Huggins paid his buyout an, RR refused to. Huggins is not going to leave WVU unless its for the NBA. Mark it down!

Once again you are looking past the fact that Huggins has had many JUCO players and early NBA entries.

You also look past that KSU was well aware that if the WVU job came open that Huggins would take it if offered. Once again Huggins paid his buyout an, RR refused to. Huggins is not going to leave WVU unless its for the NBA. Mark it down!

If JUCO players earn half their credits at that university and are awarded a diploma from that university, they are officially graduates of that university. Works like that at VT, works like that at UVA, and the NCAA recognizes this as its standard. This argument holds weight if Huggins is bringing them in as seniors, thus not earning enough credits from that university to graduate. I don't think Huggins brought in ringers like this.

Early NBA entries are a fair defense, but we also have to remember that this occurred in the era where high schoolers could go straight to the NBA. Thus, it undercuts this argument quite a bit, because the number of players who jumped to the NBA early was far less than today.

It also doesn't hide the fact that Huggins was under NCAA probation. The Ethics Committee found him guilty of violations, and justly acted. Here's the catch: if you know your graduation rate's in the toilet and the NCAA's breathing down your back, don't sign those players. Huggins isn't a stupid man, as most people like him aren't. He did it with the knowledge that it would cost him. This is a blatant display of poor ethics.

And Rich Rodriguez also had the top coaching job in his respective sport at the best athletic university in his home state, did he not? Unless WVU starts ripping off NCAA titles, there will be better jobs out there. And it's naive to think that he wouldn't bolt if a Kansas/Florida/UCLA/Kentucky/etc. came calling.

Guest JJBrickface
If JUCO players earn half their credits at that university and are awarded a diploma from that university, they are officially graduates of that university. Works like that at VT, works like that at UVA, and the NCAA recognizes this as its standard. This argument holds weight if Huggins is bringing them in as seniors, thus not earning enough credits from that university to graduate. I don't think Huggins brought in ringers like this.

Early NBA entries are a fair defense, but we also have to remember that this occurred in the era where high schoolers could go straight to the NBA. Thus, it undercuts this argument quite a bit, because the number of players who jumped to the NBA early was far less than today.

It also doesn't hide the fact that Huggins was under NCAA probation. The Ethics Committee found him guilty of violations, and justly acted. Here's the catch: if you know your graduation rate's in the toilet and the NCAA's breathing down your back, don't sign those players. Huggins isn't a stupid man, as most people like him aren't. He did it with the knowledge that it would cost him. This is a blatant display of poor ethics.

And Rich Rodriguez also had the top coaching job in his respective sport at the best athletic university in his home state, did he not? Unless WVU starts ripping off NCAA titles, there will be better jobs out there. And it's naive to think that he wouldn't bolt if a Kansas/Florida/UCLA/Kentucky/etc. came calling.

Why does it matter how many they earn while at one college? As long as they graduate that is all that matters! Even with those guidelines if it takes a true freshman 5 years to graduate then he won't count. It takes a lot of people that extra year, but they still get their degree. That is very misleading and why you cant put stock in those numbers.

What would Huggins gain by going to a UCLA, kentucky, etc? Prestige and tradition? Huggins doesn't need that to be able to recruit. If he was a young and upcoming coach then I might be able to see it more, but he is well established and he can do what it takes to win a championship at West Virginia. Since becoming the WVU head coach he has spent money out of his own pocket to improve facilities. The new scoreboard is amazing and the the soon to be built practice facility will be one of the best in the nation.

Why does it matter how many they earn while at one college? As long as they graduate that is all that matters! Even with those guidelines if it takes a true freshman 5 years to graduate then he won't count. It takes a lot of people that extra year, but they still get their degree. That is very misleading and why you cant put stock in those numbers.

What would Huggins gain by going to a UCLA, kentucky, etc? Prestige and tradition? Huggins doesn't need that to be able to recruit. If he was a young and upcoming coach then I might be able to see it more, but he is well established and he can do what it takes to win a championship at West Virginia. Since becoming the WVU head coach he has spent money out of his own pocket to improve facilities. The new scoreboard is amazing and the the soon to be built practice facility will be one of the best in the nation.

It matters that they earn at least 60 hours at one university, because one shouldn't be able to earn 108 at Bluefield State, then transfer into Harvard and take 12 hours and come out with a Harvard degree. This is why the 2 years/60 hours rule is built in, to preserve academic integrity. These are student-athletes, are they not? It's very easy to put stock in these numbers, because any academic institution worth having accredidation has these very standards! It's not misleading in the least. If you don't live up to a school's (and by that standard, the NCAA's) academic standards, you don't graduate! An average college student takes 15 hours per semester for 8 semesters to graduate with 120 hours. 95% of my friends have followed this exact path. It's increasingly uncommon (outside teaching academies) to go the 5-year route.

Of course, Huggins doesn't need prestige to recruit. As I showed with Michael Beasley, he'll sell his soul to get a recruit. It's noble that Huggins has spent his own money to improve the facilities in Morgantown, but how much of this is his good will and how much of it is trying to clean up a name that's been dragged through more than one mudhole? It's the old adage: if teams with prestige come calling, you listen. Money and winning are thicker than the navy and gold in West Virginia.

Lets act like not other college coaches have screwed up before... I don't see you busting their balls. You obviously love WVU but can't show it because fear of rejection. It's ok, if you need a shoulder to cry on, I'll always be there for you.

Go watch UVA basketball and enjoy it, they do have a basketball program right?

I don't know the exact article, but wasn't it in the article featuring Mazulla's arrest along with another player that Huggins said they were suspended and/or kicked off? It happened after the season was over.

Edited by GetMoney55

West Virginia basketball players Joe Mazzulla and Cam Thoroughman have pleaded guilty to charges stemming from a July scuffle with police at a Pittsburgh Pirates game. The two were charged with disorderly conduct and public drunkenness Monday in Pittsburgh Municipal Court. Other charges were dropped. Each player was ordered to pay $222 in fines and court costs.

I know they got arrested. I don't think they got kicked off the team though

Well maybe not kicked off, but I definitely remember seeing something about them being suspended. If they were in fact suspended, why were they playing in the first game of the season? I guess underage drinking, public drunkenness, and fighting with police officers isn't enough to warrant discipline from Huggy.