Lebanon looked a whole lot better...

wave316

I watched Clintwood -Lebanon game earlier this year . Clintwood won 36-12. The Lebanon team I watched played GC Sat. looked a whole lot better. I dont know where Gate Citys run defense was Sat. Lebanon just took over in the second half. Lebanons # 5 needs to make those interceptions when they come his way. He dropped two easy INT's. I believe Lebanon has regained some confidence that was missing earlier this year. It should be a good game this Sat. against Floyd Co. My guys in Green will be playing Holston which should be another good game.:)

Gate City's run defense is where it has been since the first PV game, and a lot of the GC fans thought this may happen. I think Phil Robbin's exposed a few things in the second half of that game. For whatever reason, this particular group of Devils just never really got it clicking. When they had the opportunity to blow someone out it just didn't happen. I really can't put my finger on it, but a ton of mistakes all year long. I don't think they had an entire game all year where they executed for two halves on both sides of the ball. The best overall game may have been Clintwood. and you saw the lapses there on kickoff coverage and a few other things. I think Clintwood was the best team we played all year long, and a few teams we played got better as the season went on. Richlands and Lebanon are good examples. GC didn't seem to get any better. They made mistakes in the game Saturday that a team shouldn't make in game #2. The personal fouls before the half were unbelievable and very damaging. The clock management/lack thereof at the end of both halves killed. I don't blame all of that on the coaches. A highschool kid should know to run out of bounds after catching a pass instead of trying to get an extra 2 yards. Dropped passes and non-contact fumbles are other examples.

The kids played hard in all the games, and some were really beat up at the end of the year. Hats off to Lebanon for the gameplan (sold out to stop the run) and at the end of the game GC went exclusively to the pass (not sure why with over 4 minutes on the clock) and managed to hang on. Lebanon just out played GC Saturday and they deserved the win. With all that said, GC still had a chance to win the game at the end. It would have been bad if they had, because Lebanon deserved the win more. They were the better team Saturday.

The venue and both games were good/competitve games. I as a GC fan, still have a fundamental problem with having to give up the home field advantage for a regional championship game. You play the whole year to earn that advantage, and you aren't allowed anything except the ability to wear a certain colored uniform. GC has a great home field advantage at Legion Field (nearly a 90% winning percentage over the years) and i think we win at home. I understand that it is better for the fans to be able to watch two games,etc... But if that is the case lets play all the first round games at neutral sites too.

well, that's one man's take....and i have about as much pull as a broken rubber band.

Gate City's run defense is where it has been since the first PV game, and a lot of the GC fans thought this may happen. I think Phil Robbin's exposed a few things in the second half of that game. For whatever reason, this particular group of Devils just never really got it clicking. When they had the opportunity to blow someone out it just didn't happen. I really can't put my finger on it, but a ton of mistakes all year long. I don't think they had an entire game all year where they executed for two halves on both sides of the ball. The best overall game may have been Clintwood. and you saw the lapses there on kickoff coverage and a few other things. I think Clintwood was the best team we played all year long, and a few teams we played got better as the season went on. Richlands and Lebanon are good examples. GC didn't seem to get any better. They made mistakes in the game Saturday that a team shouldn't make in game #2. The personal fouls before the half were unbelievable and very damaging. The clock management/lack thereof at the end of both halves killed. I don't blame all of that on the coaches. A highschool kid should know to run out of bounds after catching a pass instead of trying to get an extra 2 yards. Dropped passes and non-contact fumbles are other examples.

The kids played hard in all the games, and some were really beat up at the end of the year. Hats off to Lebanon for the gameplan (sold out to stop the run) and at the end of the game GC went exclusively to the pass (not sure why with over 4 minutes on the clock) and managed to hang on. Lebanon just out played GC Saturday and they deserved the win. With all that said, GC still had a chance to win the game at the end. It would have been bad if they had, because Lebanon deserved the win more. They were the better team Saturday.

The venue and both games were good/competitve games. I as a GC fan, still have a fundamental problem with having to give up the home field advantage for a regional championship game. You play the whole year to earn that advantage, and you aren't allowed anything except the ability to wear a certain colored uniform. GC has a great home field advantage at Legion Field (nearly a 90% winning percentage over the years) and i think we win at home. I understand that it is better for the fans to be able to watch two games,etc... But if that is the case lets play all the first round games at neutral sites too.

well, that's one man's take....and i have about as much pull as a broken rubber band.

I am just curious as to exactly why they played at Wise. I understand the fans being able to watch both games but no other region in the state does this. To my understanding it is not a move by the VHSL seeing as how we are the only area area to do this for regional finals. Giving up that home field advantage is ridiculous, just trying to get a handle on this. Gate City wins at home. But Congratulations to Lebanon on a hard fought game.

I am just curious as to exactly why they played at Wise. I understand the fans being able to watch both games but no other region in the state does this. To my understanding it is not a move by the VHSL seeing as how we are the only area area to do this for regional finals. Giving up that home field advantage is ridiculous, just trying to get a handle on this. Gate City wins at home. But Congratulations to Lebanon on a hard fought game.

REGION D votes to play there...Gate City would rather play the game at home.

I don't understand the logic myself...seems to me that if a team played all year and got the #1 seed...WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT TO PLAY ON YOUR FIELD!?

Dumbest thing I've seen...just my 2 cents and that isn't worth much.

Regardless of who the #1 seed was...I would think they would want to play at home if given the opportunity.

I don't mean any disrespect, I understand what you are saying and somewhat agree. Personally, I enjoy the format. Both teams play on the same turf, in the same weather, with the same refs, with the same fans, with the same players and at the same time.

I understand the home field advantage but I really enjoyed two good games.

But if we could have hosted at Lebanon I beleive we would have? I agree it is a bad set up and it's hard to beleive that the Region D teams voted to do it that way. I really beleive when they voted they did have Gate City in mind and said we don't want to have to play there! If Saturdays game had been at Legion it very well could have been the other way around! I think I heard somewhere that this was the last year it is set up like that and the Region may vote again to either have it a UVA-Wise or at the Top seeds place?

But if we could have hosted at Lebanon I beleive we would have? I agree it is a bad set up and it's hard to beleive that the Region D teams voted to do it that way. I really beleive when they voted they did have Gate City in mind and said we don't want to have to play there! If Saturdays game had been at Legion it very well could have been the other way around! I think I heard somewhere that this was the last year it is set up like that and the Region may vote again to either have it a UVA-Wise or at the Top seeds place?

Yeah hopefully the region will decide to let the top seed have the home field. The highest seeded remaining team should get the home-field advantage. Without this there really is no point in having seeds. If home-field is not a factor in the second round then the VHSL might as well just flip a coin to see how to seed the region's playoff teams, it would be essentially the same thing.

Yeah hopefully the region will decide to let the top seed have the home field. The highest seeded remaining team should get the home-field advantage. Without this there really is no point in having seeds. If home-field is not a factor in the second round then the VHSL might as well just flip a coin to see how to seed the region's playoff teams, it would be essentially the same thing.

The team with the home field advantage doesn't have to play at UVA Wise...they have for the past 2-3 years to make an event out of the Region D Finals..but they don't have to.

The team with the home field advantage doesn't have to play at UVA Wise...they have for the past 2-3 years to make an event out of the Region D Finals..but they don't have to.

But like the last post I do believe that this is decided on either before the season starts or before playoffs start. I do not believe this is just something that is decided that week.

Actually they do have to play there! it was nearly a unanimous vote, take a guess who voted against it. Trust me when i say GC would NEVER play there if they had a choice.This was Phil Robbin's dream and he really talked it up in the paper that year. I see why some teams would want it, with the shape of some fields and the very small stadiums that some in the region have. Plus the ability to see two games for the price of one. Nobody else in the state does it though.

In division2 each of the last two years, the team that would have played at home lost on the neutral site, and both were by small margins.

The best team should be the one that advances to the state semifinals, not the team that won because they had home field advantage.

With that being said, it's a great venue to play two high school football games at UVA-Wise.

Who said you have to be like the rest of the state?

Agreed. If you're not good enough to beat a team you're better than on a neutral site, you're not going to beat a better team the next two weeks.

I understand what you are saying, but if there is no home-field then seedings for the playoffs might as well be decided by a coin flip or just a random selection. In my opinion I would say that most schools were just shaking a little when thinking of coming and playing at Gate City so therefore they voted for the neutral site. But I believe if someone doesn't wanna play at Gate City in the playoffs then they need to just finish better in the regular season. Home-field advantage should be part of it even if there are those that are afraid to play at certain places.