Why isn't Hokie Nation dancing?

fieldgeneral

That's great news BUT we still have BS at OC...

But...it could be worse! Take a look at Morgantown. 7-4 at the moment, could be worse, but should be better. At least you still have a shot at the BCS. At least you have a football coach that demands his players to play to their ability. Granted the O in Blacksburg isn't great, but the Defense is keeping games close for them. Even more reasons to jump and dance that he is still there. Imagine if he would leave for a HC job and Stiney is still there. Wow, you might not have much to play for at the moment.

But...it could be worse! Take a look at Morgantown. 7-4 at the moment, could be worse, but should be better. At least you still have a shot at the BCS. At least you have a football coach that demands his players to play to their ability. Granted the O in Blacksburg isn't great, but the Defense is keeping games close for them. Even more reasons to jump and dance that he is still there. Imagine if he would leave for a HC job and Stiney is still there. Wow, you might not have much to play for at the moment.

This is an honest question, please do not get offended... but do you really think that WVU has per say, had a terrible year?

I understand that they have lost some games that perhaps were questionable, but do you think they are still one of top teams in the country? I will agree that they have one of the country's most dynamic players in Pat White, but other than that I honestly don't see an excellent football team that could/should compete with the top teams in the country. Do I see a very solid football team and a very fundamentally sound football team? Yes, I do. I'll be honest and say that I don't see too much in Virginia Tech either. They have a lot of young and raw talent on the team, but the only thing keeping them in contention for a BCS bowl game, and a winning season for that matter, is Bud Foster. I cannot think of a game this season where the defense didn't really have to step up and make plays in order to pull a victory.

I think it is really hard to see how much West Virginia lost with the departures of Schmitt, Slaton, and most importantly, Rich Rodriguez. People take stabs at Stewart and say he is a bad coach, but the bottom line is there are very few coaches in the country that could've walked right into that job and had the success that Rich Rod did. The man can flat out coach, and the offense was definitely his specialty. I said from the beginning that the Stewart hire was very premature and I didn't think it would bode well in Morgantown sooner or later, and it just so happened to be much sooner. I think that Stewart wants what is best for the program and truly is trying his hardest to make the team as successful as he possibly can, but I just think that WVU would most likely be in this same position even if they had anyone else at the helm. The same scenario would likely ensue in Blacksburg if Foster were to leave; there are very few people in the country who could walk in and pick up right where Bud left off.

But in closing, somewhere in this rant I thought of an analogy:

Bud Foster:VT :: Rich Rod:WVU

WVU and VT had similar situations starting the season on offense. Lack of experience at RB, and WR. Losing Slaton, Schmitt and Reynard took away a lot of versatility in the offense, more than a lot of folks expected.

Having watched both WVU and VT multiple times, the main difference I saw at the end of the year was youngsters stepping up at VT. Evans and Boykins will be major contributors next year. WVU still needs a deep threat and a back that can pound it to complement Devine. Devine is a special talent, don't get me wrong, but he does not bring the power game. I expect both will be better next year, even with the loss of Pat White.

Good Post

This is an honest question, please do not get offended... but do you really think that WVU has per say, had a terrible year?

I understand that they have lost some games that perhaps were questionable, but do you think they are still one of top teams in the country? I will agree that they have one of the country's most dynamic players in Pat White, but other than that I honestly don't see an excellent football team that could/should compete with the top teams in the country. Do I see a very solid football team and a very fundamentally sound football team? Yes, I do. I'll be honest and say that I don't see too much in Virginia Tech either. They have a lot of young and raw talent on the team, but the only thing keeping them in contention for a BCS bowl game, and a winning season for that matter, is Bud Foster. I cannot think of a game this season where the defense didn't really have to step up and make plays in order to pull a victory.

I think it is really hard to see how much West Virginia lost with the departures of Schmitt, Slaton, and most importantly, Rich Rodriguez. People take stabs at Stewart and say he is a bad coach, but the bottom line is there are very few coaches in the country that could've walked right into that job and had the success that Rich Rod did. The man can flat out coach, and the offense was definitely his specialty. I said from the beginning that the Stewart hire was very premature and I didn't think it would bode well in Morgantown sooner or later, and it just so happened to be much sooner. I think that Stewart wants what is best for the program and truly is trying his hardest to make the team as successful as he possibly can, but I just think that WVU would most likely be in this same position even if they had anyone else at the helm. The same scenario would likely ensue in Blacksburg if Foster were to leave; there are very few people in the country who could walk in and pick up right where Bud left off.

Guest JJBrickface

You know its a sad day when I am agreeing with two hokies. lol

You guys are pretty much spot on. The only think hokie07, like I said before lets give Coach Stewart some time to see if he can improve.

Most of the Mountaineer fans who are complaining don't realize how the loss of Schmitt, Slaton, and Reynaud hurt this years team. I originally thought we would be ok but it hasn't been so.

1. Schmitt is irreplaceable. He was the Runaway Beer Truck for crying out loud.

2. Like one of you guys said Devine lacks the power. He is a great change of pace but we are missing Slatons combination of power and speed.

3. Jock has done a decent job replacing Darius Reynaud, but reynaud was one of the best open field runners ever at WVU.

But these idiot fairweather WVU "fans' calling for a Stewart firing after what could be a 9-4 season are just stupid.

You know its a sad day when I am agreeing with two hokies. lol

You guys are pretty much spot on. The only think hokie07, like I said before lets give Coach Stewart some time to see if he can improve.

Most of the Mountaineer fans who are complaining don't realize how the loss of Schmitt, Slaton, and Reynaud hurt this years team. I originally thought we would be ok but it hasn't been so.

1. Schmitt is irreplaceable. He was the Runaway Beer Truck for crying out loud.

2. Like one of you guys said Devine lacks the power. He is a great change of pace but we are missing Slatons combination of power and speed.

3. Jock has done a decent job replacing Darius Reynaud, but reynaud was one of the best open field runners ever at WVU.

But these idiot fairweather WVU "fans' calling for a Stewart firing after what could be a 9-4 season are just stupid.

I don't want you to think that I'm ruling out Stewart. I agree that Stewart can improve too. As I highlighted in my earlier post, I said that there aren't but a handful of people who could have jumped in and picked up where Rich Rod left off. As much as the Mountaineer faithful want to disagree, Rodriguez's offense and coaching style left the biggest wound in the WVU football program this year and very few coaches could walk right in and fix that instantly.

Guest JJBrickface
I don't want you to think that I'm ruling out Stewart. I agree that Stewart can improve too. As I highlighted in my earlier post, I said that there aren't but a handful of people who could have jumped in and picked up where Rich Rod left off. As much as the Mountaineer faithful want to disagree, Rodriguez's offense and coaching style left the biggest wound in the WVU football program this year and very few coaches could walk right in and fix that instantly.

No doubt that Rich Rods leaving had a huge impact. But here is a question for everyone. Take Schmitt, Slaton, and Reynaud Off of last years team. What is WVU's record?

None taken. I think all Mountaineer fans are dissapointed with the outcome of this season. But I agree that there were major losses to a team that had high expectations. I agree that Schmitt is irreplaceable as well as Slaton. Reynaud was a very good player, but is replaceable. RRod built a team to fit his style not Stew/Mullen's. RRod is replaceable, it may take some time. I think that Stew / Mullen are very inexperienced for the positions they hold and it has shown many times this season. I think that all involved are there for the right reasons and it may take some time. Unfortunately, Morgantown isn't southern California in Geography and they need to stay on the top of their game to attract top recruits. They currently have a great class coming in and really good young defense returning. I think better things can come of this situation and that this year hasn't been completely awful, just dissapointing with all of the high expectations.

I do think however, that there are some coaches who could have come in and made a quicker impact.

WVU hasn't had an awful season, just some questionable play calling and lack of personell in some positions.

7-4

The 4 losses came with 3 of them by a combined 10 points and then the crush by ECU. The offense just can't get it together , but the defense is doing well. I guess you could say that both WVU and VT have had similar seasons with the fact that VT ended up on top of a couple more games. VT had 4 of their wins by a combined 14 points.

WVU lacks a bocking back for Devine and short yardage situations as well as depth at WR, and experienced HC , OC, and a line coach.

And an ACC football championship to win.

This, exactly.

For all those complaining about all the *bad playcalling*, the Hokies will be in Tampa next week. Give Stinespring a bit of a reprieve. It's not like you're 5-7 every other year. Of course, there are better people. But for goodness sakes, there are 5 other teams in the Coastal that'd rather be in your shoes right now. It reminds me of the final scene in "Liar, Liar" where the cheating wife wins $11.6M and still wants to fight over the custody of the kids. In short, it comes across as ingrateful.

Edited by UVAObserver

Guest BEAVERTAIL
No doubt that Rich Rods leaving had a huge impact. But here is a question for everyone. Take Schmitt, Slaton, and Reynaud Off of last years team. What is WVU's record?

Whats Michigan's record? lol.

Although I believe they would be around .500 with Pat White alone at Michigan, maybe better in the BE. So many times I have watched Threet and said, if that was white, put 6 on the board. but instead its not even close.

I say the Mountaineers would have been 9-2 with RR, and I say that lightly, cause there is a good chance he might have lost 3, but also a chance he only loses 1. No one will know.

Guest JJBrickface

Although I believe they would be around .500 with Pat White alone at Michigan, maybe better in the BE. So many times I have watched Threet and said, if that was white, put 6 on the board. but instead its not even close.

I say the Mountaineers would have been 9-2 with RR, and I say that lightly, cause there is a good chance he might have lost 3, but also a chance he only loses 1. No one will know.

You are right. In sports there are too many scenarios, too many what ifs. That's why I get so riled up when some WVU fans say that we have underachieved so much this year. Ho do we know?? You can't tell because this is a different team this year.

Although I believe they would be around .500 with Pat White alone at Michigan, maybe better in the BE.

I Doubt Meechigan does much better in the MAC. Michigan took it off the chin by quite a few teams even Toledo from the MAC who finished 2-6 in the MAC. You could say, they only lost to Utah who finished undefeated. But I just don't see the Big Ten a whole lot better than the BE. I will say Ohio State and Penn State could probably run the table in the Big East, but the only other team would have been MSU and they would have lost a few IMO.

I agree that if RRod had PW or even T. Pryor, we would see a different tone in Ann Arbor. Let's see if he can get his big recruits there.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
I Doubt Meechigan does much better in the MAC. Michigan took it off the chin by quite a few teams even Toledo from the MAC who finished 2-6 in the MAC. You could say, they only lost to Utah who finished undefeated. But I just don't see the Big Ten a whole lot better than the BE. I will say Ohio State and Penn State could probably run the table in the Big East, but the only other team would have been MSU and they would have lost a few IMO.

I agree that if RRod had PW or even T. Pryor, we would see a different tone in Ann Arbor. Let's see if he can get his big recruits there.

I was merely saying that with Pat in the Big 10 and with Michigan, 6-6. With White in the BE, maybe 7-5, 8-4.