BCS or Playoff

fieldgeneral

Which would you rather watch, BCS bowls or a playoff?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather watch, BCS bowls or a playoff?

• BCS bowls
    • Playoffs

I was just saying that when someone presented the argument that every game would matter in the playoff system. Every game matters now. Win 'em all and you're in.

The deal with Auburn in 2004-2005, they started the season ranked 17th while USC and Oklahoma started 1,2. When that happens and both teams go undefeated, why should one team jump another to get into the National Championship? If the case is just because they went undeafeated as well, remember that Boise State and Utah also went undefeated that season.

Boise State and Utah don't play in a major BCS conference like Auburn does either. Why should preseason rankings by so-called "experts" prevent an undefeated team such as Auburn from being considered as worthy as an undefeated USC or Oklahoma? Preseason rankings having absolutely no barring on how a team will perform once the season begins, just look at the preseason #1 team this year, Georgia.

What if the SSAC did away with the football playoff system and only allowed the top two ranked teams to play for the championship at the end of the season? What if Bluefield went undefeated, but was ranked behind two other teams in the preseason that also finished undefeated. As such, Bluefield was not given an opportunity to play for the state championship simply because they started the season ranked behind the other two undefeated teams. College football is a great sport and I love watching it, but it will never be what college basketball is until they adopt some sort-of "and one" or playoff system.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

Guest BEAVERTAIL

In addition, this poll is not correct. It asks the question "which would you rather watch?".

In order to accurately present the poll without a bias you must say, "Would a 16 team playoff improve the current system in college football overall?"

I would rather watch a playoff than the BCS bowls, but would rather watch the regular season over either of those...

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Boise State and Utah don't play in a major BCS conference like Auburn does either. Why should preseason rankings by so-called "experts" prevent an undefeated team such as Auburn from being considered as worthy as an undefeated USC or Oklahoma? Preseason rankings having absolutely no barring on how a team will perform once the season begins, just look at the preseason #1 team this year, Georgia.

What if the SSAC did away with the football playoff system and only allowed the top two ranked teams to play for the championship at the end of the season? What if Bluefield went undefeated, but was ranked behind two other teams in the preseason that also finished undefeated. As such, Bluefield was not given an opportunity to play for the state championship simply because they started the season ranked behind the other two undefeated teams. College football is a great sport and I love watching it, but it will never be what college basketball is until they adopt some sort-of "and one" or playoff system.

I agree completely. The human aspect of the polls should not effect the BCS rankings as much as they do. The computers have no bias. People do.

And your right, +1 would be great which is what I have been saying all along, but college football carries way more of an audience than basketball. UNC Duke, at its highest ratings wasnt even as close to having the viewership of Ok-TT.

I'm not saying that national championship was solely determined by Auburn's preseason ranking. However, they couldn't move up to be any higher because of where they were ranked in the preseason. Had Auburn been ranked higher in the season, maybe they would have stood a better chance to jump either USC or Oklahoma, but it just didn't happen. Your point of Boise State and Utah; because they don't play in BCS conferences means they shouldn't be considered for the NC? What's the point of a playoff system if only BCS conference schools can get in? I mean if they did go undefeated, why shouldn't they have a chance? Isn't that what this playoff system idea is for?

Don't get me wrong, I wanted Auburn in that National Championship game. I watched one of their players in high school and was rooting for them all the way. However, it just didn't work. I also was hoping they would have a share of the title, but that didn't come about either.

I like it the way it is. But I guess I have never been on the "raw end" of things as a fan.

I would probably change my mind if VT got snubbed out of a NC appearance.

Actually until VT gets a new OC, I hope they don't make it a NC game...it would only be embarrassing.

My system:

1. 16-team playoff.

2. 12-game regular season.

3. Eliminate 1 bye week.

4. Uniform start in August (that means you, Pac-10) and end in November (that means you, Big 10/Big East).

5. Conference title games-last Saturday in November.

6. Automatic bids to the Big 6 conferences and all undefeated teams.

7. Use the BCS points system for seeding at-larges.

I was just saying that when someone presented the argument that every game would matter in the playoff system. Every game matters now. Win 'em all and you're in.

The deal with Auburn in 2004-2005, they started the season ranked 17th while USC and Oklahoma started 1,2. When that happens and both teams go undefeated, why should one team jump another to get into the National Championship? If the case is just because they went undeafeated as well, remember that Boise State and Utah also went undefeated that season.

What about Boise and Utah now, they won em all and they aren't even close to being "IN." As for Auburn that year, Preseason rankings are crap. They play in the toughest Conference in college football. They beat everyone in it and still said thanks but no thanks. The only way to settle that one is for a playoff. Every game matters no matter what. If you have played football, you know this. Teams change drastically from year to year. Look at WVU this year versuses last. If they had a tenth of the offensive output they had last year, they would be a 1 loss team or undefeated. Coaching and players change way too much for the preseason BS to count for anything.

What about Boise and Utah now, they won em all and they aren't even close to being "IN." As for Auburn that year, Preseason rankings are crap. They play in the toughest Conference in college football. They beat everyone in it and still said thanks but no thanks. The only way to settle that one is for a playoff. Every game matters no matter what. If you have played football, you know this. Teams change drastically from year to year. Look at WVU this year versuses last. If they had a tenth of the offensive output they had last year, they would be a 1 loss team or undefeated. Coaching and players change way too much for the preseason BS to count for anything.

Yeah thats true. Most preseason ranking come out before the teams cut players for some apparent reason. Some teams may even aquire new players right at the last minute. Its all crazy. UVA youre idea is exactly how it should be. If only the people who actually run the BCS read these threads, they would be alot smarter!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

While they did play in a very tough conference, it wasnt preseason rankings that totally did them in.

When you play your whole OOC schedule against Lousiana Tech, Citadel, and Lousiana Monroe, a DI-AA, the computers will eat you alive.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I just want to say this, the BCS has made college football what is today.

Before the bowl coalition, there was a small chance, 12.5% to be exact, that if there was even 2 undefeateds they would play each other. We have come a long way, and college football has grown because of the system we have now. College football prides itself in being different, unique, and has a great tradition.

Is it really getting it wrong? Can anyone say that LSU wasnt the best team last year? Florida? USC/Texas? We might not have even had that game if not for the BCS.

All im trying to say here is that you all watch the games because of what the BCS has created, and requires, perfection. And yes, I understand your gripes because of the undefeateds, but if Hawaii proved anything last year its that it probably wont happen barring a boise st miracle vs the worst coach in BCS history.

The BCS created what you have today, viewership has drastically increased. The Big 10 network was founded on the BCS and the intensity of the 1v2 matchup of Mich/OSU. While you might think about destroying it, dont forget what it gave you. Id say Bear Bryant, Woody Hayes, and Bo Schembechler all would love the system and be grateful for it.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL

Before the bowl coalition, there was a small chance, 12.5% to be exact, that if there was even 2 undefeateds they would play each other. We have come a long way, and college football has grown because of the system we have now. College football prides itself in being different, unique, and has a great tradition.

Is it really getting it wrong? Can anyone say that LSU wasnt the best team last year? Florida? USC/Texas? We might not have even had that game if not for the BCS.

All im trying to say here is that you all watch the games because of what the BCS has created, and requires, perfection. And yes, I understand your gripes because of the undefeateds, but if Hawaii proved anything last year its that it probably wont happen barring a boise st miracle vs the worst coach in BCS history.

The BCS created what you have today, viewership has drastically increased. The Big 10 network was founded on the BCS and the intensity of the 1v2 matchup of Mich/OSU. While you might think about destroying it, dont forget what it gave you. Id say Bear Bryants, Woody Hayes, and Bo Schembechler all would love the system and be grateful for it.

WHen you put it like that it may change some minds. We all do love to watch College Football for its uniqueness over any other sport. I definitely prefer College Football over the NFL. The NFL has become a circus act to me.

Yeah thats true. Most preseason ranking come out before the teams cut players for some apparent reason. Some teams may even aquire new players right at the last minute. Its all crazy. UVA youre idea is exactly how it should be. If only the people who actually run the BCS read these threads, they would be alot smarter!

I appreciate the compliment. :)

I just think those talking heads are jaded. This is a cash cow waiting to happen, but they're afraid of sponsors getting their wittwe feewings hurt. That, and losing out on all that money. They could integrate the bowls into the playoffs. Who wouldn't like to see "Florida-Boise State", Round of 8, Cotton Bowl. It would also cut down on the swarm of 6-win teams getting to go to these bowl games.

The BCS created what you have today, viewership has drastically increased. The Big 10 network was founded on the BCS and the intensity of the 1v2 matchup of Mich/OSU. While you might think about destroying it, dont forget what it gave you. Id say Bear Bryants, Woody Hayes, and Bo Schembechler all would love the system and be grateful for it.

Beautifully said!

Why do you all want college football to become the NFL? I love college football for what it is...why change anything?