unc recruiting

thefactman

wow!!! north carolinia has had a heck of a recruiting class!!! va tech is landing nothing. not only did we lose kevin newsome jr the nittny lions also got the top qb inthe 2010 class from penn. to commit. come on tech if we can pull kevin jones from them . UNC roster is full of talent from the state of va. WHATS GOING ON!!!!!

wow!!! north carolinia has had a heck of a recruiting class!!! va tech is landing nothing. not only did we lose kevin newsome jr the nittny lions also got the top qb inthe 2010 class from penn. to commit. come on tech if we can pull kevin jones from them . UNC roster is full of talent from the state of va. WHATS GOING ON!!!!!

V.T. lands the top two kids in the state of Virginia, both four stars, and they have NOTHING???? UNC has ONE commit from the top 40 in the state of Virginia this year. How many games has V.T. lost to UNC, Duke, Wake, N.C. State, Clemson & Maryland since joining the ACC if these other schools are taking a lot of the talent out of the state of Virginia? If UVA is taking them from V.T., how many times has UVA won in the last 10-12 years??

Virginia Tech does a pretty damn great job of doing more with less and they have for years. They find kids that fit their system regardless of star rankings and who bust their ass to do things the right way and be all they can be on and off the field.

Past classes out of the state of Virginia according to TSL:

In 2008, V.T. got 17 of the top 30. One of the top 30 went to UNC and one went to Penn State that V.T. didn't get.

In 2007, V.T. got 12 of the top 30. None of the top 30 went to UNC and Penn State got one.

2006 was not a good year for either school in the Commonwealth, but once again, UNC got one and Penn State got two.

I count seven kids on the current UNC football roster. Where is this roster loaded with talent from Virginia?????

im just referring to the class this year. i'm a tech fan and of course tsl is going to put who tech gets at the top of there list. just go look at uncs class this year. if im not mistaken its the number 2 class in the nation. and if they land bobby massie which is from va and commited to tech last season they will most likly move to the top spot.

i understand that tech does well with what they get/have but you cant tell me that kevin newsome jr, tajh boyd or bryan renner(committed to unc, 4star) all form the state of va wouldnt had been nice. also

Kevun Reddick 4star

A.J. Blue 4star

Curtis Campbell

along with bryan renner 4star and bobby massie all fromour state we tried to land all and got nowhere. unc has done squat against vt in years but they land a few more classes like this one and they will start winning the division

VT is using its limited number of scholarships to fill holes with this year's recruiting class. The only hole that is still empty is at QB...but I don't think that need is quite as dire as some make it out to be...

To be honest, I'm not sure just how good those 4* recruits you've listed really are. Granted, I don't follow recruiting all that closely but I do know the names of the better recruits from the state of VA and I can honestly say, I've never heard of Reddick, Blue, Campbell, or Renner. Massie couldn't qualify to get into VT...the boy is as dumb as a stump...that's why he went to Liberty Christian because he wouldn't have been eligible under VHSL guidelines.

I think its funny how, in the beginning, all the ACC schools were concerned with VT possibly accepting "questionable" recruits. My, how the tables have turned as several ACC schools are gobbling up VT "throwbacks" like scavengers...

And one more thought...Butch Davis will never win the Coastal Division as long as Beamer is at VT...8-1...

VT is using its limited number of scholarships to fill holes with this year's recruiting class. The only hole that is still empty is at QB...but I don't think that need is quite as dire as some make it out to be...

To be honest, I'm not sure just how good those 4* recruits you've listed really are. Granted, I don't follow recruiting all that closely but I do know the names of the better recruits from the state of VA and I can honestly say, I've never heard of Reddick, Blue, Campbell, or Renner. Massie couldn't qualify to get into VT...the boy is as dumb as a stump...that's why he went to Liberty Christian because he wouldn't have been eligible under VHSL guidelines.

I think its funny how, in the beginning, all the ACC schools were concerned with VT possibly accepting "questionable" recruits. My, how the tables have turned as several ACC schools are gobbling up VT "throwbacks" like scavengers...

And one more thought...Butch Davis will never win the Coastal Division as long as Beamer is at VT...8-1...

does vt play every team in coastal division each year? if so they get carolina at home next year correct? thus vt wins that game if at home, especially if unc is breaking in new qb

does vt play every team in coastal division each year? if so they get carolina at home next year correct? thus vt wins that game if at home, especially if unc is breaking in new qb

You're right. The game is scheduled to be played in Blacksburg next season, but Carolina does return their QB also. I wouldn't be so worried about the QB situation down there as I would be about the receivers. They lose Tate to eligibility and Nicks to an early entry into the draft. Regardless of how it plays out in Chapel Hill, I still expect them to be in the hunt for the Coastal division. Whether they win it or not, I believe they'll have a legitimate shot.

Guys like Reddick (New Bern, NC) and Blue (Dallas, NC) are studs. Blue was the main QB at Hargrave this fall and outshined Newsome the entire season. He had numerous games of 400+ yards of total offense. Tech recruited him in high school. He's projected to play tailback at Carolina. The jewel of the Carolina class is Donte Moss, the #1 rated DE by Scout and #3 by Rivals. Most scouts say he was the best defensive player at the two all-state games he participated in, the US Army A-A and Shrine bowls. As I said in August, Butch Davis has Carolina on the upswing and they're going to be the Hokies most serious threat in the Coastal on a yearly basis.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

im just referring to the class this year. i'm a tech fan and of course tsl is going to put who tech gets at the top of there list.

Compare The Roanoke Time list and the TSL list and you would see just how alike they are. I'd be willing to bet, you could look at the Scout list and the Rivals list and they will will be pretty close as well to the Roanoke Times list and the TSL list. TSL doesn't put kids at the top of their list just because they are going to VT.

Butch Davis was always able to recruit well, but he has only beaten Beamer one time.

By and large, recruiting class ranks don't mean a whole lot. Sure it looks good on paper, but these guys still have to play and live up to the hype. I remember when VT got Michael Vick's favorite target in high school in '99, Andrae Harrison, and I believe he was #4 in the Commonwealth that year. Did he ever play a down in Blacksburg?? No.

Edited by bhs7695

One more thing, the top rated kid in the '99 class in the Commonwealth was Brook Point RB Daniel Davis. He signed with UNC. I found a little history about him. Just because the class looks good on paper, doesn't mean they will do well on the field.

STAFFORD, Va. (AP) -- North Carolina running back Daniel Davis returned to Virginia on Thursday, hoping to clear up a probation violation. Instead, he ended up in jail.

During a Circuit Court hearing, Davis, 19, was ordered to serve six days but could be released on good behavior after three. Davis rushed for a Group AAA-record 7,080 yards for Brooke Point High School and was selected Virginia's AAA player of the year by The Associated Press.

On July 23, he was convicted of failing to appear in court on a traffic violation issued while he was still in high school, court records show. He received a 10-day suspended jail sentence, was ordered to perform 50 hours of community service and pay $36 in court costs. Stafford County Commonwealth's Attorney Daniel M. Chichester said Davis made no arrangements to perform the community service, had missed all five of his scheduled phone calls from his probation officer and failed to pay the court. Facing extradition, Davis came home.

``He was given every opportunity to comply, but he never did,'' Chichester said. The penalty, worked out beforehand by Chichester and Davis' lawyer, Phillip Sasser, also obligates Davis to perform his community service here during North Carolina's spring break. Officials said Davis mostly likely would do the work at a regional landfill.

``I'm very disappointed Daniel did not properly attend to his legal situation. He turned something that began as a traffic violation into a serious issue,'' North Carolina coach Carl Torbush said in a statement. ``I have made it clear to him, as well as our entire team, that situations such as this will not be tolerated.'' .

A similar article:

North Carolina running back Daniel Davis has reportedly run into legal problems again, this time within the borders of Chapel Hill.

The Greensboro News & Record reported Friday morning that Orange County court records indicated the rising sophomore received a citation on March 25 for possession of a malt beverage by an underage person. The early morning incident occurred shortly after the basketball Tar Heels big win over Tennessee in the NCAA Tournament.

Davis was not jailed for the violation and the newspaper indicated a court date for the incident would take place June 26. Davis, a native of Stafford, Va., is 20 years old.

A former high school All-American at Brooke Pointe (Va.) High, Davis ran into legal problems this past summer when he was sentenced to probation for not paying a series of traffic tickets. He was arrested on Feb. 17, 2000 for not meeting the terms of his probation and spent three days in a Virginia jail.

Another chance for Davis

STEVE DeSHAZO: Davis thankful for another chance--is it his last?

Date published: 4/29/2004

FOUR DOWNS are all you usually get in football. If you can't make sufficient progress in four shots, you have to give up the ball.

Since leaving Brooke Point High School as a can't-miss prospect in 1999, Daniel Davis has made three college stops. At each, he has been tripped up more often off the field than on it.

Now, the NFL's Indianapolis Colts have given Davis another shot at football's highest level--even though he's done little in college to deserve it.

It's fourth down.

Davis' long and winding road "has made me appreciate everything a lot more," he said this week. "It showed me I had an opportunity most people don't get, and I [threw] it away by not doing everything I was supposed to. If I had, I could have been in the NFL by now."

Instead, Davis is a 24-year-old free agent who'll attend the Colts' minicamp today, hoping to impress coach Tony Dungy and earn an invitation to training camp later this summer.

It speaks volumes about Davis' awesome athletic ability that any team would even consider a running back who's carried just 37 times in the past three years--let alone one who's run into recurring legal and academic trouble.

"He's always shown an ability to be a tremendous football player," said Michael Smith, Kansas State's running-backs coach. "But he's run into off-field issues. He's had to show he can handle his business, and by doing that, he's gotten a second chance again."

Or fourth.

Amid great fanfare, Davis signed with North Carolina in February 1999. He lasted one season in Chapel Hill, kicked off a mediocre team by a coach (Carl Torbush) who later got fired. Poor grades and charges of credit card fraud and underage possession of alcohol overshadowed Davis' performance. He even spent weekends in jail because he didn't show up for hearings after being stopped for driving on a suspended license.

He landed at Garden State (Kan.) Community College and led the Broncbusters to the 2000 junior-college national championship game. But he failed to complete his degree and had to sit out the 2001 season before transferring to Kansas State.

He played as a backup in 2002. But last summer, Davis was charged with two counts of theft. Then his college career ended when his grade from a summer-school course wasn't turned in on time, making him ineligible under Big 12 Conference rules.

Still, the Colts outbid the New York Giants, Cleveland Browns and Kansas City Chiefs to get Davis into camp. They need a backup to Pro Bowler Edgerrin James, and Davis is the biggest and fastest (if not the most experienced) candidate to unseat injury-prone reserve Domonic Rhodes.

"If he gets the opportunity this weekend and it works out, he should thank the Lord that he got another chance," Smith said.

im not saying they will win next year. just stating that who would had thought unc(Basketball city) could start landing top recruiting classes' and no the rankings of players dont always mean everything but they have a slew of 4 stars and im sure at least 5 players will be good. im a tech fan but i dont think we ran over unc....you start putting back to back classes togather like they have so far this year and i think just winning the coastal will not be the only thing in unc's sights.....

is making UNC a football school as well as a bball school. I watched them in the bowl game and they are well put together. Barring a couple injuries, they win the ACC this year. Nicks will be gone I'm sure, but they return a talented team. They will be a team to watch next year.

is making UNC a football school as well as a bball school. I know, they are far from the success of the bball team, but still. I watched them in the bowl game and they are well put together. Barring a couple injuries, they win the ACC this year. Nicks will be gone I'm sure, but they return a talented team. They will be a team to watch next year.

UNC will not win the ACC in football next year. I don't care if they have zero injuries. How many top ten teams and how many ACC football championships did Mack Brown have when he was at UNC?? How many Big East championships did Butch Davis win at Miami?? You can have the best recruiting class on paper, but Butch Davis's Achilles Heel is having his teams give away games with turnovers and penalties.

UNC is and will always be a basketball school first and foremost. They will get some very good football players and their facilities are probably the best in the ACC, but can is translate to success on the football field?? Stay tuned.........

V.T. lands the top two kids in the state of Virginia, both four stars, and they have NOTHING???? UNC has ONE commit from the top 40 in the state of Virginia this year. How many games has V.T. lost to UNC, Duke, Wake, N.C. State, Clemson & Maryland since joining the ACC if these other schools are taking a lot of the talent out of the state of Virginia? If UVA is taking them from V.T., how many times has UVA won in the last 10-12 years??

Virginia Tech does a pretty damn great job of doing more with less and they have for years. They find kids that fit their system regardless of star rankings and who bust their ass to do things the right way and be all they can be on and off the field.

Past classes out of the state of Virginia according to TSL:

In 2008, V.T. got 17 of the top 30. One of the top 30 went to UNC and one went to Penn State that V.T. didn't get.

In 2007, V.T. got 12 of the top 30. None of the top 30 went to UNC and Penn State got one.

2006 was not a good year for either school in the Commonwealth, but once again, UNC got one and Penn State got two.

I count seven kids on the current UNC football roster. Where is this roster loaded with talent from Virginia?????

Sadly, VT has the upper-hand on in-state recruiting, even I admit this. I'm glad to see the virtual stranglehold on Tidewater talent slipping just a little, though. However, VT's claiming more second-tier players than purely elite talent. VT has recently failed at keeping the notable top-end talent in-state. As the state's premier football school, this is something you should do. Look at Percy Harvin, as a prime example.

As far as this year, I believe you fail to mention Morgan Moses, the 5-star offensive linemen from Henrico. He's all but eliminated VT from his radar, and UVA's hanging on by a thread. Call me crazy, but I can see him going to WVU. Just a hunch.

Recruiting updates aren't my forte. Just some observations. That's my SN, after all. ;)

Sadly, VT has the upper-hand on in-state recruiting, even I admit this. I'm glad to see the virtual stranglehold on Tidewater talent slipping just a little, though. However, VT's claiming more second-tier players than purely elite talent. VT has recently failed at keeping the notable top-end talent in-state. As the state's premier football school, this is something you should do. Look at Percy Harvin, as a prime example.

As far as this year, I believe you fail to mention Morgan Moses, the 5-star offensive linemen from Henrico. He's all but eliminated VT from his radar, and UVA's hanging on by a thread. Call me crazy, but I can see him going to WVU. Just a hunch.

Recruiting updates aren't my forte. Just some observations. That's my SN, after all. ;)

Moses is also having a problem with passing classes that are required to get into most colleges. I read the same thing about Harvin his senior year.

Edited by bhs7695