Layoffs hit SWVA...

GMan

Never mind the numerous studies which say that college graduates earn an average of $500K-$1.5M over the course of their lives than those with just a high school degree. In today's marketplace, with 67% of 2000-2008 high school graduates seeking at least some post-secondary education, you have next to no chance in the job market. There are only two jobs where you have a prayer of making any sort of money without college, and that's truck driving and mine work. Having a father who was a miner for 16 years and who's driven a truck for 17, that's a great way to break yourself working.

In modern society, you're almost certainly destined for a life of menial labor if you limit yourself like this. Most people who have to do this don't have a choice. It seems like you do, and to throw that chance away on a false assumption is positively mind-boggling.

This could be one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever read, on this board or elsewhere.

L&D well services start 22 bucks an hour, I believe i can manage with that, hey we ant all cut out to sit in some office all day..and if you didnt like it..why reply?

and that's truck driving and mine work. Having a father who was a miner for 16 years and who's driven a truck for 17, that's a great way to break yourself working.

What do you think we do here in Buchanan county?

L&D well services start 22 bucks an hour, I believe i can manage with that, hey we ant all cut out to sit in some office all day..and if you didnt like it..why reply?

I didn't like it because you made a ridiculously gross generalization that absurd at best and patently false at worst. If you actually, truly feel this way, you're going to look back when you're 40 and think about the opportunities you wasted. I'm trying to keep you from not living up to your own potential, but I see I'm fighting a losing game.

Do what you wish. I've seen my grandfather work himself right into a stress-induced heart attack and disability by doing these sorts of jobs. I've seen my dad go out on the road in February and not come back until April. I've seen my neighbors bounce around from menial job to welfare to menial job to welfare to menial job...

You're only selling yourself short.

I saw on the national news yesterday that CAT Carter was cutting some too, just not sure if it's the Brushfork / Bluefield branch. Anyone know?

Carter Machinery is just the distributor in the SWVA for CAT equipment. In the Charleston area the CAT dealer is Walker Machinery. Like Cole is the distributor for GM cars and trucks in Bluefield.

CAT is having the layoffs in the manufacturing plants and corporate offices in the U.S. I have heard that Carter Machinery has issued layoffs to employees in their parts & service departments. Not sure about the sales departments for machines, but I can't imagine they are immune to the cutbacks. Also, James River, the John Deere equipment distributor in Virginia, announced layoffs a few weeks ago as well mostly in the service departments.

Without work to keep equipment busy, machines won't break down and need repairs and/or parts.

its hard to tell what will happen to this economy with barak behind it it will probably fall down the drain

Have you watched the news for the past 4 years, this economy is down the drain and has been long before Barak took over, what exactly is your definition of down the drain if we arent there yet I would hate to see when we get there