Layoffs hit SWVA...

GMan

Volvo (Dublin), Goodyear (Radford), and Corning (Blacksburg/Christiansburg) all announced major layoffs/closures today...:(

my brother works for volvo and he's been laid off for 6 months or more

this is exactally why im not going to college, and wasting a lot of money, just to come out and not be able to get a job...when I can go right after school and make more money

I'm not trying to take a shot at your decision at all because I fully respect your position, but furthering your education can only enhance the job level in which you may be able to attain in the future. During times of extremely high unemployment, like recessions and/or depressions, the best thing to do in my opinion is to go back to school or stay in school for as long as possible. If you can complete an associates, bachelors, masters degree, etc. then it can only raise your knowledge capital and make you a more employable individual when the economy starts to expand. I in no way see going to college as wasting your money because, in all likelihood, the economy will be running at full employment again and the financial markets will be safer by the time you graduate. I'm not saying that you won't be able to find work right out of high school but you'll have a heck of a lot easier time finding a job in several years and if you increase your personal capital. But from a biased college student who is actually an economics major, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

this is exactally why im not going to college, and wasting a lot of money, just to come out and not be able to get a job...when I can go right after school and make more money

are you kidding me? no seriously...where do you expect to take a job where you would make more money without a college degree?

And please don't say the mines, because I have an uncle that works for Consol who use to live in Bluefield and he went to VT for 4 years, then to MIT or something like that and he makes a crap load of money now...

I saw on the national news yesterday that CAT Carter was cutting some too, just not sure if it's the Brushfork / Bluefield branch. Anyone know?

I'm not sure how it affects the local area, but you're right about Caterpillar and their cutbacks. I read in Tuesday's USA Today that they laid off 20,000 on Monday along with companies such as Sprint Nextel, Home Depot, and Texas Instruments. Microsoft, Ericsson, and Harley Davidson also cut back on jobs last week too... I know these aren't exactly what you would call local but we will all most definitely feel these effects sometime down the road.

there's the military, which on the contrary is a high paying job in lots of ways, if you're single especially. There isn't any cost for a place to stay, they provide everything, 4 meals a day, the food in iraq was like eating at an all you can eat buffet 4 times a day if you preferred, literally, and deployments are tax free. So if you're wise most of that is going to a bank and not being spent, especially during a deployment because there's not much you could spend it on anyhow, so there isn't hardly any other place that has such "job security", higher pay, benefits, especially during harder times.

That said it's unfortunate about the layoffs.

are you kidding me? no seriously...where do you expect to take a job where you would make more money without a college degree?

And please don't say the mines, because I have an uncle that works for Consol who use to live in Bluefield and he went to VT for 4 years, then to MIT or something like that and he makes a crap load of money now...

AEP,Verizon,NS.......

Never mind the numerous studies which say that college graduates earn an average of $500K-$1.5M over the course of their lives than those with just a high school degree. In today's marketplace, with 67% of 2000-2008 high school graduates seeking at least some post-secondary education, you have next to no chance in the job market. There are only two jobs where you have a prayer of making any sort of money without college, and that's truck driving and mine work. Having a father who was a miner for 16 years and who's driven a truck for 17, that's a great way to break yourself working.

In modern society, you're almost certainly destined for a life of menial labor if you limit yourself like this. Most people who have to do this don't have a choice. It seems like you do, and to throw that chance away on a false assumption is positively mind-boggling.

This could be one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever read, on this board or elsewhere.

AEP,Verizon,NS.......

You have to have GREAT contacts to even get your foot in the door with AEP and NS nowadays. All the high-end jobs with Verizon require a B.S. engineering degree. And not that there's anything wrong with it, because it is an honest living and society must have these jobs to function, but these jobs are far closer to hard manual labor that a desk job.

Edited by UVAObserver

its hard to tell what will happen to this economy with barak behind it it will probably fall down the drain

You can't blame Obama. He has steped into office in one of the hardest times. Its not his fault. Yes he can change some things but its not only him making the decisions but congress too.

You can't blame Obama. He has steped into office in one of the hardest times. Its not his fault. Yes he can change some things but its not only him making the decisions but congress too.

Some people on here are hilarious. I didn't vote on him. I prayed he didn't get it. Well I prayed he did. It's just crazy that some are throwing blame already. It will be nothing short of miraculous if he is able to turn the economy around in a short period of time.

Some people on here are hilarious. I didn't vote on him. I prayed he didn't get it. Well I prayed he did. It's just crazy that some are throwing blame already. It will be nothing short of miraculous if he is able to turn the economy around in a short period of time.

My contention is that with $700B+ worth of stimulus and $250B+ of tax cuts, he's setting himself up to fall flat on his face. Stimulus is a good thing, but where's the money coming from? Unless Obama has the ability to synthesize it out of the air we breathe, he's heading down a historically-proven potholed road.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
My contention is that with $700B+ worth of stimulus and $250B+ of tax cuts, he's setting himself up to fall flat on his face.

I see him falling flat on his face with Guantanamo. If he changes what has worked to protect this country for the last 7 years, and then thousands of innocents die, his presidency will be scarred. But I could be wrong, but in my opinion, the risk is not worth the reward when truly only extreme liberals want a complete 180 in Gitmo, and he already has them in his back pocket.

I see him falling flat on his face with Guantanamo. If he changes what has worked to protect this country for the last 7 years, and then thousands of innocents die, his presidency will be scarred. But I could be wrong, but in my opinion, the risk is not worth the reward when truly only extreme liberals want a complete 180 in Gitmo, and he already has them in his back pocket.

Your last sentence applies to his desire to federally fund Planned Parenthood, as well. And funding ACORN. Etc.

It's positively crazy how he's pandering to the far left and the lobbyists.

Of course, maybe 25% of Americans will see this. And the other 75% will tell them to "shut up" or "he's your president" or "we've had to deal with Bush for 8 years, this is what you get."