Canes00

Just by comparing scores.

GW lost to Pulaski by 9 & 14, Abingdon lost to Pulaski by 25

GW beat Chilhowie by 24 & 18, Abingdon lost to Chilhowie by 6,

GW beat Marion by 22, Abingdon lost to Marion by 2

GW beat Bland by 36, Graham beat Bland by 18 & 4

GW beat Marion by 22, Graham beat Marion by 6

I think GW could win the SWD.

good call g-man. i saw abingdon play friday night and if they are one of the top two teams in the swd, then it will be a short post-season for the swd. i was not impressed with them at all. if not for the hunt kid they might not win 5-6 games.

just because they beat a team by by more points than another doesn't there better

In the games GW has won in their district, they are usually up by about 30 when the 14 man roster clears from the bench and they usually still win by 15-20 points. Not disrespecting my alma mater, but the SWD is known for football and not basketball. If GW was in the SWD, they would lose no more than one district game and that would be a brain fart on GWs part and not because the other team was better. Now, football would be a different story..even though GW has a really good football program, there is too much tradition in the SWD that the Hogo can't match up to consistently.

In the games GW has won in their district, they are usually up by about 30 when the 14 man roster clears from the bench and they usually still win by 15-20 points. Not disrespecting my alma mater, but the SWD is known for football and not basketball. If GW was in the SWD, they would lose no more than one district game and that would be a brain fart on GWs part and not because the other team was better. Now, football would be a different story..even though GW has a really good football program, there is too much tradition in the SWD that the Hogo can't match up to consistently.

Yeah GW could not hang in football...the SWD is strong there. Maybe a third or fourth place in football.

I would even say a consistent 2nd or 3rd

I played in the SWD many years ago and have watched the Hogo for years. The major difference is the buy in several of the SWD teams have to the off season weight room. GW has good athletes year after year, but when your backfield is stronger than your line year after year, you gotta think something is wrong with that picture. If GW can get more committment to their weight room, I would say they could hang with the top of the SWD teams.

I played in the SWD many years ago and have watched the Hogo for years. The major difference is the buy in several of the SWD teams have to the off season weight room. GW has good athletes year after year, but when your backfield is stronger than your line year after year, you gotta think something is wrong with that picture. If GW can get more committment to their weight room, I would say they could hang with the top of the SWD teams.

Lee,

That's part of the reason for Graham slipping a bit in recent years...lack of committment to the summer weight program. The discipline (from both players and coaches) just isn't there like it used to be. I remember back in the early 80s, back when you were on the team, Coach Carlock didn't put up with BS...if you didn't lift during the summer, you didn't play during the fall...simple as that. Unfortunately, it isn't like that anymore...

And yes, George Wythe could compete in the SWD on an annual basis...

Lee,

That's part of the reason for Graham slipping a bit in recent years...lack of committment to the summer weight program. The discipline (from both players and coaches) just isn't there like it used to be. I remember back in the early 80s, back when you were on the team, Coach Carlock didn't put up with BS...if you didn't lift during the summer, you didn't play during the fall...simple as that. Unfortunately, it isn't like that anymore...

And yes, George Wythe could compete in the SWD on an annual basis...

It is a shame to hear that things have gone that badly at Graham. I hope it is realized quickly and corrected, whatever that will take...We had a special group of guys who wanted to work and get better. Moving to Graham from a AAA school in Ohio, that would have around 100 kids in its high school program, I could see right away that our team was special. Weight lifting really set teams apart beginning in the late 70s. It is so key to the success of a football program, in my opinion.

I think GW has good skilled position players every year, but hasn't had a big, physical line since the state championship year. They have had a handful of them since 2002, but not enough to compete with programs that have the desire and discipline in the off season. One of the best to come along in years is Drew Lester. Only a junior, he is one to watch. If others took his lead, GW would be taking alot more trips deep into the post season.

Keep things straight over that way GMan!

I belive gw could deffinently hang in the swd in basketball but they would probably be like all the other swd teams when it comes to regionals they wouldn't go very far competeing with the piedmont.