RIP A-11 Offense...

GMan

If we hadn't been open to innovation, we would never have had even the forward pass.

I guess it is just easier to legislate innovation out of existence that to gameplan to beat it; like good coaches have done to the wishbone, veer, and west coast offenses in the past.

GREAT news. The rule that allowed this meant for it to be used during a kick, not as an offensive formation.

Upoin further review, I see the rule was (rightly) clarified to allow the formation to be used only on 4th down (like it was intended)

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=912477

Edited by VHSLhelper

this was only deemed illegal bc officials are not smart enough to keep up with it... i'm not saying that it would be easy to officiate but the game has changed over its history and why should this formation be any different?

I'm sad to see this go. I think it just adds creativity and a new flare to the game, just as Rodriguez did with his spread/option offense. Why not keep it up? Just another thing for offenses to master and defenses to learn to play against. I wish it were still active.

I knew it was only a matter of time when this offense was "publicized" last season...deemed illegal...as it should be...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Weekend-Out-The-future-is-dead-R-I-P-A-11-?urn=ncaaf,141441

Glad to see it, personally.

A good defensive coordinator can put together a gimmick defense to beat this gimmick offense.

That's how teams beat the Single Wing...

What's next, banning the spread or single wing because some teams "can't" adjust to it? There was a time not that long ago that 3 and 4 wide receiver formations were considered gimmicks too, not everyone uses them at least some.

This kind a regulatory B.S. is from the same people who brought us penalties for "running up" the score. With the government finding more and more things to regulate everyday, its sad to see H.S. sports officials following suit, but not surprising.

Gonna have to agree to disagree with you Mav. It is one thing to have 5 wide receivers, it is another to take advantage of a punting formation so that you can put 11 guys with receiver numbers on the field. If the rule read that at least 5 players on the line of scrimmage should be wearing a number between 50-79, then that is the way it should be. Just because you are allowing for not having those 5 on a punt you are being unsportsmanlike. That's just how the game is meant to be played. Also the Single-Wing is not a gimmick offense, almost all offenses that are used today come from the single-wing. i.e. Wing-T, Double Wing, and oh but yes the spread.

Gonna have to agree to disagree with you Mav. It is one thing to have 5 wide receivers, it is another to take advantage of a punting formation so that you can put 11 guys with receiver numbers on the field. If the rule read that at least 5 players on the line of scrimmage should be wearing a number between 50-79, then that is the way it should be. Just because you are allowing for not having those 5 on a punt you are being unsportsmanlike. That's just how the game is meant to be played. Also the Single-Wing is not a gimmick offense, almost all offenses that are used today come from the single-wing. i.e. Wing-T, Double Wing, and oh but yes the spread.

Here is something to consider....what if (for some odd reason) a team decides to punt on 3rd down (I know its stupid...but it has happened) or kick a field goal before it is 4th down. All things to consider.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Then I would assume it would be a busted play and anything would be legal as far as run is concernd, but the forward pass would still be illagle due to linemen down field ect. or becasue receiver did not check in with ref prior to snap... but I could be all wrong on this

it makes sense.. what kind of lineman would run downfield on a fake fieldgoal?? its always the ends and wings.. In kicking formations there are ALWAYS number exceptions, but the inside guys are still inelgiable due to positioning (being covered up by another player).. and if you run a fake punt on 3rd down and a lineman is downfield then u deserve to be pentalized.. If your punting on 3rd down your either up by alot or u want to pin the other team(which i havent seen in high school football many times), the coaches are just going to have to tell their players not to jump the gun and wait for the kick..

Edited by dawgs86