Baseball Classification

footballfan08

The classifications in football and basketball are ridiculous. How you can have 2 single-A, 2 double-A, and 2 triple-A state champions is beyond me. If you have 2 state champions, then you really don't even have one...

The classifications in football and basketball are ridiculous. How you can have 2 single-A, 2 double-A, and 2 triple-A state champions is beyond me. If you have 2 state champions, then you really don't even have one...

i agree completely

I agree completely. The classification system is awful, but if you are going to have it then it should be the same for all sports.

If you think the VHSL is bad you should go look at some other states. Massachusetts has 13 State Champions. New Jersey has 20 State Champions in Football. Every state breaks it down into sizes of schools. Virginia has got 6 divisions, which isn't alot compared to other states. The only state that only has 3 is West Virginia. The system is just fine the way it is. It's matching schools of the same size against each other. Thats about the only fair way of doing things.

No its not once you get to the State level...

Agreed, but now at least our side of the state is breeding opportunities for the little guys to make it that far. Plus you actually get to see teams play schools in your region, how often does Marion play Tunstall? lol

I'm hoping whenever the R&R committee gets a map of Virginia, we may get to see a 5 or 6 division reclassification that will settle a lot of our quaffles with the other side of the dominion.

• 2 weeks later...
Curious if the VHSL was thinking about trying to reclassify Baseball & Softball to six divisions in order to align with football & basketball. Never understood why we have three state champs in one sport and six in the others.:confused:

You will probably see it in place next season in baseball, softball, and volleyball.

We'll find out after the state basketball tournament, principals are set to meet this week in Richmond.