congrats to our seniors....

wave316

This past Saturday we had a total of 37 senior athletes participate in our FCA - Quiznos Senior All- Star game at Coeburn High School. It was a joy to see players who previously played against each other play on the same team. The boys game was won by the Clinch Mtn -Cumberland team 83-79 over the LPD team. The LPD - Black Diamond girls team defeated the Cumberland girls team by around 9 points. Jordon Laningham of Lee High won the 3 point shootout and was also mvp for his team. Jordon Martin of Powell Valley was named mvp for the LPD boys team. Marvin Fetchner of Appalachia won the slam dunk contest. On the girls side ,Holly Hyden of Haysi was the mvp for the LPD -Black Diamond team. Lorren Evans of Castlewood was Mvp for the Cumberland team . Lorren also won the 3 point contest. It was a lot of fun and we congratulate each senior who played. We are now possibly planning another game at Twin Valley High school with Coach Moore assisting, We are looking at April 11 for these games. I :)will keep everyone posted about these games. :)

i hope they have the dunk contest if it comes to twin valley.. id like to see Fetchner dunk against Lucas Shortridge.. that should be some pretty good competition for him..

Yes, we had hoped Lucas was going to dunk in our event. Coach Moore of Twin Valley sais Lucas had a bad ankle. I hope we can get a couple of good games there at Twin Valley. Ive never been there but I hear there are some great basketball fans there. Players are not too bad either:)

I saw Lucas Shortridge in the dunk contest at Twin Valley in their tournament. Wow, this boy can absolutely get out of the gym, any dunk contest you know of, if you want a show, get him in it. I never thought he could get up like he can, it is something else...too bad his ankle was hurt, but they have some pretty good fans, we are rivals and it is hard for me to admit it, but they have great fans and a great student section and a great tradition there. This years team along with last years team, which was basicly the same, is probably ONE of the best teams to ever come out of this area. They play so well together, too bad they had to lose a few, but bring back some talent. Who exactly is back and what will they be like next year?

Edited by Reb_Man1

Guest BB_TWEEDER
I saw Lucas Shortridge in the dunk contest at Twin Valley in their tournament. Wow, this boy can absolutely get out of the gym, any dunk contest you know of, if you want a show, get him in it. I never thought he could get up like he can, it is something else...too bad his ankle was hurt, but they have some pretty good fans, we are rivals and it is hard for me to admit it, but they have great fans and a great student section and a great tradition there. This years team along with last years team, which was basicly the same, is probably ONE of the best teams to ever come out of this area. They play so well together, too bad they had to lose a few, but bring back some talent. Who exactly is back and what will they be like next year?

This team was a good one, but 2005 was BY FAR the best that the school has had.

You know I agree with you there, but that is why i said this team is one of the best, because this team, the 05-06 team, along with councils run, are the only two around here with 3 trips to richmond in 4 years that I can recall, I could be wrong, but I know that SWVA basketball could be the most competative in the state. Comparing the two TV teams, I would give the shooting edge to the 06 team, but they are no where near as physical, big baldwin was big, a very solid post player, but this team is very rough inside. I would give the point guard edge to Horne, Simpson and Lester play alike, its hard to compare the Shortridge brothers I think because they play different from what I can remember. Baldwin did not have the power and heart that Smith has. The only thing this team is missing is a knock-down shooter in Goodman, therefore I give the edge to 06, but it would be a fun match up to watch. I still think nothing can compare to 00 and 01 council...I think we can all agree that the BDD has had its glory!!

K.T. Vandyke > Garrett Horne (KT had a crossover that was almost impossible to stop and was the one that took a backseat and stepped up when they needed him. His quickness was unbelievable. Garrett was asked to do more for his team from a scoring standpoint, but KT was every bit as capable of putting up numbers just like the rest of these guys.)

Kent Goodman > Lucas Shortridge

Logan Shortridge vs Hunter Simpson (This one is hard. Logan was more athletic and a better slasher with a good shot, Hunter isnt as athletic and wasnt as good off the dribble but probably shoots the ball a little better. Push if anything)

Jeramiah Lester > Josh Smith (Lester got his team to the finals was was voted Single A player of the year BEFORE there were divisions.)

Matt Baldwin > Beefy

The 2005-2006 TV Panthers consisted of 4 1000 pt scorers. Not to mention Alex Vandyke coming off the bench. This debate isnt even close. This years team was a very good team but the 2005-2006 team was on a different level.

alex vandyke graduated after the 2005 season.. so he wasnt on the team that made it to the state finals... but on the subject of which team was better.. im going to agree and say that 06 team was the best.. if there had been divsions in 2006.. that team would've have won state blindfolded.. because the only other D1 team in the tournament that year was twin springs and twin valley beat them pretty easily in the 2006 semis.. i also feel that if there had been divisions in 07 that twin valley would have won state also... but all in all 2006 was the better team.. and they also had Rick Goodman on there bench... and im pretty sure that can NEVER hurt...

Thanks for the compliments.. i know how hard it is to compliment a rival school's team, let alone there fans hah.. and Lukes ankle should be healed by 4-11-09 if thats when the next senior games are..

The 2005-2006 TV Panthers consisted of 4 1000 pt scorers. Not to mention Alex Vandyke coming off the bench. This debate isnt even close. This years team was a very good team but the 2005-2006 team was on a different level.

alex vandyke graduated after the 2005 season.. so he wasnt on the team that made it to the state finals... but on the subject of which team was better.. im going to agree and say that 06 team was the best.. if there had been divsions in 2006.. that team would've have won state blindfolded.. because the only other D1 team in the tournament that year was twin springs and twin valley beat them pretty easily in the 2006 semis.. i also feel that if there had been divisions in 07 that twin valley would have won state also... but all in all 2006 was the better team.. and they also had Rick Goodman on there bench... and im pretty sure that can NEVER hurt...

You know I agree with you there, but that is why i said this team is one of the best, because this team, the 05-06 team, along with councils run, are the only two around here with 3 trips to richmond in 4 years that I can recall, I could be wrong, but I know that SWVA basketball could be the most competative in the state. Comparing the two TV teams, I would give the shooting edge to the 06 team, but they are no where near as physical, big baldwin was big, a very solid post player, but this team is very rough inside. I would give the point guard edge to Horne, Simpson and Lester play alike, its hard to compare the Shortridge brothers I think because they play different from what I can remember. Baldwin did not have the power and heart that Smith has. The only thing this team is missing is a knock-down shooter in Goodman, therefore I give the edge to 06, but it would be a fun match up to watch. I still think nothing can compare to 00 and 01 council...I think we can all agree that the BDD has had its glory!!

Gate City had 3 trips to Richmond in 4 years, ending with the 07-08 season. They were in the finals for the last 2 of those years.

I was thinking I left a team out there, sorry about that. But regardless who was better I give this TV team props, cause its hard to say good things about them, because of the rivalry, but they had all the pressure in the world on them and they still came through and got to Richmond. As for the individuals who deserve their credit on this team, Horne it was a pleasure watching you play over the years, you are an excellent ball handler, and have some of the best vision ive ever seen. Simpson is quite possibly the best leader TV has ever had. So smart with everything he does. Big Beef is a monster, and I hope he can play next year. Burnston off of the bench has some of the best footspeed in this area. Shortridge will be rediculous next year, he is one of, if not the best athlete in the region. Smith is a beast inside, and I love his hustle, I just wish we had some of his hustle on our team. We should be a force to reckon with maybe not next year but the 2 years after. I hope we can all pull for eachother to do the best. And I hope we get the best of the Panthers next season. Best of luck in the off-season to everyone...

Guest BB_TWEEDER
I was thinking I left a team out there, sorry about that. But regardless who was better I give this TV team props, cause its hard to say good things about them, because of the rivalry, but they had all the pressure in the world on them and they still came through and got to Richmond. As for the individuals who deserve their credit on this team, Horne it was a pleasure watching you play over the years, you are an excellent ball handler, and have some of the best vision ive ever seen. Simpson is quite possibly the best leader TV has ever had. So smart with everything he does. Big Beef is a monster, and I hope he can play next year. Burnston off of the bench has some of the best footspeed in this area. Shortridge will be rediculous next year, he is one of, if not the best athlete in the region. Smith is a beast inside, and I love his hustle, I just wish we had some of his hustle on our team. We should be a force to reckon with maybe not next year but the 2 years after. I hope we can all pull for eachother to do the best. And I hope we get the best of the Panthers next season. Best of luck in the off-season to everyone...

I would agree its hard to give a rival team props, but after you finish district play you pull for your district in state, and I give Valley props!

I would also agree Simpson is a good leader, but J. Lester has to be the best leader ever (VSHL Player of the year, State Final Appearance, was 3 rebounds shy of breaking the state tourny record if im not mistaken) You gotta give the edge to Lester, his resume speaks for itself.

Edited by BB_TWEEDER

i agree with ya there.. i am a TV fan during the regular season.. but after that.. im a BDD fan.. i would have loved for council to be on the opposite side of brackett as twin valley.. that way they would have both had a shot at substate.. i also agree that hurley is gonna be the team to beat in the district in a few years (unless haysi and honaker has some jv godsends that i dont know about) but hurley still needs a little more speed on there side.. because after gary leaves, austin is going to be the only player left, with any speed, except maybe waynick (whom i didnt get to see play this year) and that slow style game can get you out of district, maybe even the first first round or two of region but after that you begin to play faster and faster teams.. im not sayin it cant be done.. but it wont be easy..

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Waynic is really quick, And can jump out of the gym. If he gets the gitters out of him that boy will be amazing to watch the next 3 years. A. Cooper is extremly quick, Carie Brown, commming up is the son of the legendary David 'the Snake" Brown haha (I couldnt resist) but anyways Carie Has extrem quickness, good jumping ability, and good bball smarts. There is a couple of other fast bball players on Jv, but I simply do not know them. Our Jv team this year went to the BDD Championship game once again. SO once again we are gettin a good group of young men comming up!

Well first of all, it doesnt matter what they do in j.v. Plus I know the kid you are speaking of, and my little brother also plays on j.v. and he shut him down in that game. Hurley will not be able to compete in the state like you all think. They are not as talented as many think. They have freshman who can score....whoopie....all they have is freshman, so obviously only freshman can score. Honaker and TV will contend next year, and if Honaker keeps beating them in JV what makes you think they can beat them in varsity anyways??

i would have to agree. hurley has big hipe with little talent. they have 2 good players and 1 decent player. last time i checked you need 5 good ball players to do anything. so i dont believe the hipe, maybe region in a few years but big woop when 8 out11 teams make it

Guest BB_TWEEDER

hahah I love how you are the same person.. 2 brand new accounts created nearly 5 mins apart... hmm you are a dumba$$... Honaker will NOT contend next year, they lost the only talent they had in Justin Hall. And Hurley does have 5 good players, its just their 5 good players are fresh and soph.... when you take a team with 4-5 fresh playing 3 quaters plus of a game and nearly beat a upperclass dominated Twin Valley then that speaks volums for your program.. Honkaer upset Twin Valley and Honaker is a senior dominated class, and Last I looked they didnt have any outstanding fresh and sophs starting for them... but anyways your some high school kid tryin to be cute haha Do you need a hug to help you with your anger probs sweetheart? hahhahahahahaha idiot

im gonna have to say that honaker only had 1 or 2 seniors.. most of those boys are sophmores as well so i have to disagree with the fact that they were senior dominated.. and i will state the fact that you have no rights to say anything until you do beat the "upperclass dominated Twin Valley".. honaker had 3 sophmores starting and had probably the best "shooter" in the bdd in Ethan Davis.. Justin Hall didnt even show up until late in the season.. and i think that honaker will contend in the bdd next year but it depends on the work ethic if they contend in Region D Div. 2.. ya never know who will step up for who

Guest BB_TWEEDER
im gonna have to say that honaker only had 1 or 2 seniors.. most of those boys are sophmores as well so i have to disagree with the fact that they were senior dominated.. and i will state the fact that you have no rights to say anything until you do beat the "upperclass dominated Twin Valley".. honaker had 3 sophmores starting and had probably the best "shooter" in the bdd in Ethan Davis.. Justin Hall didnt even show up until late in the season.. and i think that honaker will contend in the bdd next year but it depends on the work ethic if they contend in Region D Div. 2.. ya never know who will step up for who

Hurley beats Honaker next year... Honaker will not contend for 2nd... it will either be Haysi or Hurley.. And only Haysi Is Flemming can Carry his team... And my point HONAKER didnt do anything in the seasn until after Hall started playing well.. He is all they had!!! face the damn facts.

Hurley beats Honaker next year... Honaker will not contend for 2nd... it will either be Haysi or Hurley.. And only Haysi Is Flemming can Carry his team... And my point HONAKER didnt do anything in the seasn until after Hall started playing well.. He is all they had!!! face the damn facts.

Hurley has not accomplished anything yet...they will not be the team everybody thinks next year. they will be good but not a great team...hurley will finish third if they can beat haysi. and honaker and tv will decide who wins district...you need to face the facts and realize hurley is not the best team.

Guest BB_TWEEDER
Hurley has not accomplished anything yet...they will not be the team everybody thinks next year. they will be good but not a great team...hurley will finish third if they can beat haysi. and honaker and tv will decide who wins district...you need to face the facts and realize hurley is not the best team.

You need to learn to pay attention.. I never said Hurley will be the best team, I said in a couple of years they will be the best team. And I must say Hurley did accomplish alot this year with a bunch on 9th and 10th graders. Jeezzz get you panties in a twist becasue I dont think Honaker will contend for the BDD title.

Alright listen here retard, Honaker had 2 seniors and 1 of them is a big guy who literally does nothing. I have no idea who the other tigers guy is btw. So look out for the tigers next year pal...TV will be tough, Haysi has flemming, and dont count out council either. Hurley will get 2nd at the very best but more than likely 3rd or 4th. Hurley had 2 seniors that started and was not fresh or soph dominated. Honaker for the next two years will not allow hurley to be as dominant as the people in that little town think...

i do think it is pretty funny that two new accounts were made at the same time and same name....but anyways i do not think honaker or hurley will be the team next year.....everyone forgets twin valley will still be pretty solid.....it may take a few games for everyone to start clicking with each other but just give them time.....but honaker and hurley will prob be second and third....

if hurley is able to play every district game like they played twin valley this year in the district tourny they may just pull something off that no one espects but i do not see them being able to play every game like that because it will be almost impossible to play every game like that.....but who knows what can happen...cant wait till season rolls around here

Guest BB_TWEEDER
Alright listen here retard, Honaker had 2 seniors and 1 of them is a big guy who literally does nothing. I have no idea who the other tigers guy is btw. So look out for the tigers next year pal...TV will be tough, Haysi has flemming, and dont count out council either. Hurley will get 2nd at the very best but more than likely 3rd or 4th. Hurley had 2 seniors that started and was not fresh or soph dominated. Honaker for the next two years will not allow hurley to be as dominant as the people in that little town think...

Alright I never said Hurley was gonna pull 1rst place off this upcomming season! I said 2nd! Apparently im not a retard "Hurley will get 2nd at the very best" and that's what you just posted. And Exactly what I have been argueing with you idiots? Hurley had ONE senior who slipt time starting in Clint Justus, or Willie Burks both whom was seniors, but never started a game at the same time other than senior night and the Tourny. The coopers brothers, G. Blakenship, L. Burks started. And some times D. Waynick who is another Fresh. Im not out here tryin to make Hurley look like they are great, Im just tryin to stand behind my team and hometown. You all was the ones who started this wanting to argue about it. I think the only team in the District that has proved theirself is Twin Valley, but all the teams in the BDD are capable. But I dont think Honaker will contend for 2nd place.

Edited by BB_TWEEDER