BDD vs SWD All Star Game this Wed.

bucfan64

The halftime dunks from Shortridge were rediculous, I stated earlier, the guy brings the show...I talked to him there, and he is a great kid too. Bright future for him. But as far as the game goes BDD had alot less players but Otto, and the trio from TV dominated basicly, how come 32 didnt shoot like that during the season? I cant remember him. But if the whole district had the chance to play, im with hokiepanther, with the coopers, flemming, the honaker boys, viers and presley from council, along with Smith, Shortridge, and Keene from TV, it would have been nasty...the BDD is loaded with talent....but like I said highlights tonight showed shortridge in the dunking exhibition and the guy bragged about Shortridge over and over again...excellent night, excellent games, I hope its an anual thing, maybe next year complete BDD vs. complete SWD....

Published: April 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Short-handed BDD topples bigger SWD

By LLOYD COMBS

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

RICHLANDS, Va. — The Black Diamond District was outnumbered, but not outmanned.

The BDD completed a sweep of the Southwest District in the first annual BDD-SWD All-Star Clash Wednesday night at Richlands Middle School. The BDD boys followed the girls' 62-44, game one victory with a 73-70 win over the SWD in the nightcap.

Council's Otto Fletcher and Twin Valley's Hunter Simpson had double-doubles to lead the BDD. Simpson tossed in 24 points and hauled in 10 rebounds, while the 6-foot-9, 360-pound Fletcher added 20 points and 15 boards.

Abingdon's Colby Hunt scored 20 points to lead the 15-man SWD squad. The Black Diamond played with just eight, but had four double figure scorers and three of them were from Twin Valley.

Jacob St. Clair hit four three-pointers and added 12 points. Garrett Horne, the MVP in another senior all-star contest just two weeks earlier, hit two free throws that snapped a 70-70 tie with 50.9 seconds remaining.

The senior contributed 12 points and eight assists and, like everyone else, enjoyed the festivities.

"It was even more fun than the first all-star game because everybody was from the BDD," Horne said. "I got to play with Hunter again and two more of my teammates, Jake and Carter (Burniston), I played with all of them for a long time.

"Everybody on the team played well, Toe (Fletcher), Tyler Mullins, Willie (Burks), (Curtis) Whitt, all those guys had good games. They all contributed."

Finding enough playing time for 15 talented players was a chore for SWD coach Glynn Carlock, Jr., but it was a task the Graham coach didn't seem to mind.

"It was a good problem to have," Carlock said. "You couldn't ask for a finer bunch of boys. They were all very attentive, they were all unselfish, and did anything they were called on to do."

The Tazewell duo of T.J. Taxley (9 points, 8 rebounds) and Brandon Pauley (8 points, 4 steals) played well for the SWD, as did Jacob Rife of Richlands and Abingdon's Cole Manning, who each added seven points. Graham's Jason Palmer scored just two points, but hauled in seven rebounds.

"We were all so competitive and had such spirited games during the season," Palmer said. "It was great to see how we all came together. It was definitely a lot of fun to play with these guys."

Hunt and Marion's Brock Hanna each hit 3-pointers as the SWD took a 70-65 lead with 2:10 remaining.

Hunt, who scored 10 points in each half, was happy to have the SWD 15 on his side for a change.

"It was great to see guys like T.J. Taxley and Jason Palmer on the floor, and not have to worry about boxing them out," Hunt said. "It was a lot of fun to play with all these guys."

Simpson scored five points in 23 seconds to tie the game at 70-70 with 1:30 remaining. Fletcher added one free throw with 7.6 seconds left.

The SWD was scoreless in its last six possessions, turning the ball over on the final two.

There was a large crowd on hand, especially on the BDD side.

The district is known as a basketball league, and it was apparent Wednesday night, with fans there from Council, Twin Valley, Haysi and Hurley. Honaker did not send players for either game.

"I was impressed with the turnout, but I really expected it," Twin Valley and BDD coach Brian Moore said. "It shows you the love they have for the game and how much they support their kids and their teams, and I really appreciate that."

All-Star Hoops

Boys

BLACK DIAMOND DISTRICT (73)

Hunter Simpson (Twin Valley) 9 2-3 24, Otto Fletcher 7 5-8 20, Garrett Horne 4 4-6 12, Jacob St. Clair 4 0-0 12, Tyler Mullins (Haysi) 1 0-0 3, Curtis Whitt (Hurley) 1 0-0 2, Willie Burks (Hurley) 0 0-1 0. Totals 26 11-17 73.

SOUTHWEST DISTRICT (70)

T.J. Taxley (Tazewell) 3 3-5 9, Brandon Pauley 3 0-0 8, Jared Angles (Tazewell) 1 0-0 3, Jason Dotson (Marion) 0 0-0 0, Brock Hannah (Marion) 1 0-0 3, A.J. Jeffers (Graham) 0 0-0 0, Jason Palmer (Graham) 1 0-0 2, Colby Hunt (Abingdon) 8 2-2 20, Nathaniel Funk (Abingdon) 1 0-0 2, Cole Manning (Abingdon) 2 3-4 7, Joseph Stephens (Grundy) 0 0-0 0, James Lanning (Carroll County) 1 0-0 3, Ricky Lawrence (Richlands) 1 1-1 3, Ethian Keene (Richlands) 1 0-0 3, Jacob Rife (Richlands) 3 1-1 7. Totals 26 10-13 70.

BDD....................................14 24 18 17 — 73

SWD...................................20 12 21 17 — 70

3-point goals - BDD 10 (Simpson 4, St. Clair 4, Mullins, Fletcher), SWD 8 (Pauley 2, Hunt 2, Angles, Hanna, Lanning, Keene).

Life has many choices---eternity two

well, fair's fair, you get all the BDD we get what we had plus MANY more from the SWD

i have no clue how you say that.. SWD gets Gunner and Ben Rife.. BDD gets Josh Smith, Chris Fleming, Cooper brothers, Lucas Shortridge, Ethan Davis, Justin Hall could have played this time.. how do u get MANY more

Senior only event. No juniors, sophs, etc.

And i have no clue why the bdd could only come up with 8 seniors to play in the game.

Pretty pathetic.

Open mouth insert foot!

Twin Valley had 6 seniors

Council had 1

Haysi had 1

Honaker had 1

Hurley had 3

The original plan was to have 3 from TV and 3 from Hurley and the LONE seniors from the other high schools represent the BDD

///////

Hall from Honaker is playing baseball and didn't need to take a chance at getting injured in a basketball game. That leaves 8 on the original roster. One of the originally scheduled Hurley players was unable to make it at the last minute that leaves 7 on the original roster, had this been known in advance it is possible that Hurley could have brought a third player and TV could have brought the other two.

The BDD could have played every one of their seniors and still not had more than 12 players. In order to keep the complaints down, TV only had 3 players originally selected as did Hurley. ONe of the Hurley kids did not show up because he was out of town or someting to that manner. That is why TV ended up with a fourth player, which equaled 8 players at the game.

As Pathetic as it may seem to you, you must give them some credit the kids did win the game.

Open mouth insert foot!

Twin Valley had 6 seniors

Council had 1

Haysi had 1

Honaker had 1

Hurley had 3

The original plan was to have 3 from TV and 3 from Hurley and the LONE seniors from the other high schools represent the BDD

///////

Hall from Honaker is playing baseball and didn't need to take a chance at getting injured in a basketball game. That leaves 8 on the original roster. One of the originally scheduled Hurley players was unable to make it at the last minute that leaves 7 on the original roster, had this been known in advance it is possible that Hurley could have brought a third player and TV could have brought the other two.

The BDD could have played every one of their seniors and still not had more than 12 players. In order to keep the complaints down, TV only had 3 players originally selected as did Hurley. ONe of the Hurley kids did not show up because he was out of town or someting to that manner. That is why TV ended up with a fourth player, which equaled 8 players at the game.

As Pathetic as it may seem to you, you must give them some credit the kids did win the game.

Hey! open mouth insert foot to you to.

Do you think hall was the only player from either district that plays baseball? Keene from richlands is there top pitcher. He played. Even was in the slam dunk thingy. Well, he tried to dunk anyway.

This has nothing to do about giving credit to them. I would much rather have a roster of 8 than have to worry about shuffling rotations in with a roster of 15. You get no flow to the game at all. Play a couple minutes then you come out.

Hall may have not been the only baseball player on the roster, but he and his coach didn't think it was necessary nor the smart thing to do with Honaker's baseball team doing so well.

Furthermore, I wasn't making an argument for anyone, just stating the facts.....something that some people just can't seem to wrap their mind around.

Nope he sure wasn't.

Thanks for all the "facts"

I'll think of you as mr. speak and say from now on. :eek:

and I will think of you as mr "foot in mouth!"

you are the one that said "PRETTY PATHETIC" WITHOUT knowing the facts....