Richlands girls varsity

longhorn fan

Not going to down the guy but a new head coach is needed badly.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a new face either next year or the year after.

There are some really good girls coming up from the middle school ranks over the next couple of years.

I agree... Richlands JV team (especially the Post player, an 8th Grader and the point guard) were better than the Varsity. Things look good for the future if they can get the coaching settled.

Not going to down the guy but a new head coach is needed badly.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a new face either next year or the year after.

There are some really good girls coming up from the middle school ranks over the next couple of years.

I think they should give the head coach one year at least with those girls and let him try to work with the talent that is coming up. This would show if it is really bad coaching or if the talent was not there for him to win.

I think they should give the head coach one year at least with those girls and let him try to work with the talent that is coming up. This would show if it is really bad coaching or if the talent was not there for him to win.

nm

Forgot about the center who was an 8th grader.

And with the fact they return everyone on the varsity team next season but 1 player and with the upcoming 8th graders they should have a good team.

They will definitely have one heckuva of a point guard for the next 4 years.

The Richardson girl is the real deal.

Bad coaching destroys a good team. What has he done to make these girls better. There is no reason for them to lose every game. What camps did he take them to-besides how to make Ice Cream on the bus to the games.

Five years is long enough for any coach to prove if they have what it takes. If he had started working the freshman 4yrs ago then he would not have finished 0-23 this year. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. You wouldn't have to ask me to leave, I would do what is best for the girls and get out.

I have a better idea you smartass, replace the head coach and get someone in there such as Dennis Palmer or Fred Phillips who can coach these girls the way they deserved to be coached. You can feel sorry for him all you want but I agree with the other 95% of the other posts. Stastistics are not rumors or something a sideline parent coach makes up, their facts. So whitesnake do your homework and find out what his overall record is, how many team camps he has went to the last 5 years, how many times he has had open gym the last 5 years and then come back to us. In the meantime quit wasting what few brain cells you have and do something constructive with yourself.

I think we are to quick to get rid of a coach anymore who cares about them they just don't have what it takes. Thats just like Coach Hart in Tazewell alot of hometown politics were involved and they got rid of him. He went to Bland and turned the program completley around. If the coach from Richlands wants to retire let him but he should not be pressured by parents. We have a right as parents to want the best for our kids but really what does it show about us if we just push someone out before they get a chance to prove themselves. We talk about how bad his record is and everyone knows how bad it is..... But small town politics rule in sports in SWVA. Let me see how much money it takes to get what I want.

Blues Mom "Well the coach from Richlands doesn't think. That is why he has a record of 18 wins and lost 76 games. Out of those 18 wins only 5 district wins in the last 5 years."

Edited by bigdogfan2

So how many years should a school or parents give a coach before they say "ok a change is needed?" Just curious? We are not trying to put politics into this nor are we saying he is a bad guy. How many years did they give Coach Hart before letting him go? I believe only one year. In my opinion that was to soon. I believe every new coach deserves 2 to 3 yrs. What I would look is to see if the record improves a little each year. If you call that political oh well, I call it intelligence.

So how many years should a school or parents give a coach before they say "ok a change is needed?" Just curious? We are not trying to put politics into this nor are we saying he is a bad guy. How many years did they give Coach Hart before letting him go? I believe only one year. In my opinion that was to soon. I believe every new coach deserves 2 to 3 yrs. What I would look is to see if the record improves a little each year. If you call that political oh well, I call it intelligence.

Your opinion is very valid but a num nut can coach those girls so who cares who the coach is.

Edited by bigdogfan2

It is almost impossible to get a good coach who is 1)dedicated to one sport 2)qualified to teach/coach in tazewell county 3)someone who wont put up with parents trying to run his/her team 4)someone that makes the administration happy by not having complaints. Alot of coaches don't live/eat/sleep for thier sport, they do it for a litttle and I mean a little extra income. Do these kids need a coach to take them to a camp? Can they not go to individual camps and work on their indv. skills?? Do they attend open gyms? Are they weight lifting to improve themselves? Good attitudes and hard work are contagious, so are the ones that down a coach or player.

Benjamin Franklin "Either we all hang together else we all hang seperately"

Records speak for themselves. It doesn't take an Einstein to figure this one out. Parents need to take a stand an put the pressure on the school board to get rid of the loser at RHS. The girls deserves the same respect as the boys. I say "school board" because the principal at RHS is too ignorant to realize what is going on. Maybe if she got off her fat duff and gave two hoots about the girls program something would be done. Maybe RHS should get a new principal as well. This one has worn her welcome out. I know that no self respecting business person in Richlands wants to deal with her anymore. RHS has the potential to have a state championship contender girls team in just a few short years and the administrator is too dense too realize it. RHS varsity girls basketball program needs a change NOW!!!! Wake up and call the school board, parents.

I think Rchlands is an okay place but no great basketball hotbed. The last time they we really tough was in the late 1990's.(fred phillphs 1st year) Part of the problem today is every parent thinks their kid has college ability and they don't. Another problem is kids are having to pick one sport and you don't always keep all the good players playing If the coach has a another 0-something season then have them replace but who is going to replace them? What teaching positions does the school have? State Champs that is a big goal. How about making the state play-offs and winning a game. Then your next goal should be win the southwest distirct.

Your exactly right about Richlands not being a hotspot for the bball program. When people talk about Richlands it is usually about the success of the football program. The reason our football program has been successful is for two reasons 1. dedication of the boys who train about 8 months out of the year 2. dedication of the coaches. The reason Fred Phillips is a great coach is because whatever he coaches he puts 100% into it. He is currently building the boys program now by coaching almost 20 boys ranging from the 3rd to the 5th grade on a travel team. Several of the girls coming up to RHS have traveled for 5 years. Im not talking a couple months, more like 8 months. When they are not in the gym on weekends they are in the gym 3 to 4 nights a week practicing. The dedication is there.

That is great to hear that these girls are working hard, no doubt it will pay off in the long run. Someone said that these girls could win the state, that is an awful big statement considering the RHS girls haven't even won a regional game since about 1988 to my best memory.

They made it to the regional final 1996(lost to Marion that year). Still you are talking about a program that has not won a regional gam since 1996, so like I said lets see how they do this year do they get better , if not it may be time to make a change

We forget fast . What about in the 80s Rife s teams kicked butts and took names. The Lady blues made it to the state semis in Salem. Rife did not take anything off parents or they could take their little girls home and play at the Rec park. I say bring back Tommy Gun Rife He taught Phillips and Palmer all they know about Basketball . And make Carmon Bennett the Pres. Of the Girls BB booster club.

We forget fast . What about in the 80s Rife s teams kicked butts and took names. The Lady blues made it to the state semis in Salem. Rife did not take anything off parents or they could take their little girls home and play at the Rec park. I say bring back Tommy Gun Rife He taught Phillips and Palmer all they know about Basketball . And make Carmon Bennett the Pres. Of the Girls BB booster club.

I agree completely!! What Richlands Varsity needs is someone whose knowledge about the sport and who dedication extends beyond the 2 1/2 months playing season. Rife was successful because he built it. He didn't wait for it to fall in his lap. He drilled and practiced more than two weeks prior to the season. He encouraged the girls to attend skill camps and practices throughout the year. Kudos to coaches who understand what it takes to make a successful team. (Practice with a qualified coach.) Our football team is an example of this philosophy. What the girls need is a competent coach not a buddy.

I believe we have a majority here on this thread that we all agree RHS needs a different Lady Blues Basketball coach. There is plenty of talent coming up and they need a leader who will make the most of their skills.The present coach lacks the ability and dedication to lead these players. Look at the past 5 year record. Total wins 20. Losses 84.Record is from 2004-2005 season to present. This year was winless. 21 Losses for this past season. Karen Webb- wake up! Every parent, grandparent, aunt ,uncle, friend and neighbor is sick of your apathy toward our Lady Blues.

What I predict is a jumping of this sunken ship by some of the players to other schools who appreciate them. Can Tazewell County afford to lose more students? 2 or 3 kids moving out does have some financial impact on an already strapped school system. We need to keep what we've got. Maybe Webb feels like it will be made up by new football players moving in. Let's ask her.

It is pretty sad if someone has to transfer to be able to play under a qualified coach, but I guess stranger things have happened. That would be a slap in the coaches face, on the other hand he would probaly care less.